Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 PM

28 posts, read 513,570 times

Advertisements

You didn't...
It was just a random example of items that are normal on the mainland but really pricey in Hawaii
Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what eating well means to you in paradise
Have you changed anything about the way you eat or shop while living there?
I wouldn't want to subsist on "cheap" Asian foods while living there, but I didn't say that either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 08:57 PM

120 posts, read 1,167,508 times
Only different thing we do is try to buy things when they are on sale. But I would say I haven't changed anything when it comes to what I eat.

And not to split hairs, but Cokes and at least some kind of "bad for you" potato chip is always on sale at Safeway. Its the fruits, vegetables and perishables that cost so much.

As far as shopping goes I have made big changes. I purchase almost everything online. You just cant find anything on Maui. I purchase clothes, office supplies, car parts, home decor etc. all online. Cheaper, easier and faster.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:44 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
If you can't find anything on Maui then your makas must be pau. There's nothing on the mainland that you can't find here. And the idea of buying online and saving money is absurd, shipping alone is going to cost you big time. You shouldn't be olopewahanui when your po'o is so far up your okolepuka.

Ha awi mai imaha kukai po'o

Old 08-11-2007, 09:55 PM

12 posts, read 205,034 times
Jungjo - you're rude.

I also order most things online, there's not a great selection out here and I'm on Oahu. Shipping isn't so bad if you're a smart online shopper. And it saves time trying to drive all over to find things.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:07 PM

I'm not trying to be rude, just pointing out a fact. Order something from say Amazon, check out the shipping rate, and tell me what you come up with, as opposed to buying the same item in Hawaii. I've lived on Oahu, Maui, the Big Island, and Molokai, (may be kind of difficult to find a lot of stuff over there), but there's nothing on the mainland that you can't find here. Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, Shirokiya, Macy, Ace Hardware, they all carry the same products here as they do on the mainland. I don't think Fed EX or UPS give you any kind of shipping break because you live on Maui. I've bought stuff off Amazon in which the shipping cost was more than the product, won't do it again. At least in Hawaii we have something they don't have on the mainland, Hanalei poi, lomi salmon, kalua pork and fresh poki. And as far as items not being available on Oahu, which is a metropolitan Island, and Honolulu a large city, what exactly is it you can't find?

Aloha

Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 PM

28 posts, read 513,570 times
Thanks--I appreciate the input as I am always looking for ways to cut our costs on basics when we live there
If you order from Overstock.com they only charge like $2-3 to ship ANYTHING!!
We ordered our bedroom set from them and the shipping was $2.50

I don't think it's silly at all to order online--it saves you time, gas and the hassle of driving and parking--plus, I'm sure there are things that you can't find there that you could online--like closeouts, discontinued items, etc...

I wouldn't, however, buy clothes or shoes online as it's better for me to try them on, but as for household goods and furnishings, I think the selection is amazing rather than walking through 10 stores to find what you might settle for.

Keep the good info going!!
Thornpicker

Old 08-11-2007, 11:54 PM

I just put in a theoretical order on Amazon for a $119.00 rollaway bed, shipping to Maui was $55.00. I don't know who does your shipping, but please give me their #.

Aloha
Prices slightly higher in Alaska, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii, learn it, live it, know it

Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM

120 posts, read 1,167,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I just put in a theoretical order on Amazon for a $119.00 rollaway bed, shipping to Maui was $55.00. I don't know who does your shipping, but please give me their #.

Aloha
Prices slightly higher in Alaska, Puerto Rico, and Hawaii, learn it, live it, know it
When did I say I ordered beds or used amazon? I said I ordered clothes, auto parts, business supplies etc. And I never said anything about amazon. There are a lot more websites out there then amazon. You are flat out WRONG when you say you can find anything on Maui.

I am 6'6 and wear a size 16 shoe. Its near impossible to find nice clothes here for a guy my size. And its cheaper and easier to order online. Clothes are cheaper online and the shipping is about $12 bucks. Go to Footlocker next time your in the mall and ask to see there selection of size 16 shoes.

I own a classic car. I gave up trying to buy parts here. If its not in there computer they have no idea what it is. I couldnt even buy a simple 20 amp relay or a battery cut off switch the other day because it wasnt in there computer. So.... i order online and its cheaper.

Business supplies: for my type of business it is a hell of a lot cheaper to order online. I just priced a piece of furniture for my business it was $1400 on Maui and for the exact same thing shipped it was $800. About 60 percent of the supplies I need for business are absolutely not available on this island.

I thought it was obvious that I am not buying .25 cent bolts and cleaning supplies online. Of course I purchase things at home depot, walmart etc. But that only supplies me with about 60 percent of what I need on Maui. The other 40 is online.

Lets use your example of a rollaway bed. First off there are probably only one or two places on Maui that carry roll away beds. They are BJ furniture (most expensive furniture store on Maui) and American Mattress (another very expensive store.) I would bet money that a rollaway bed at those two stores would be $200+. They dont sell rollaway beds at walmart, homedepot, macys, sears, ace hardware or any of the other stores you suggested.

But thanks for all the put downs jung. Nice to see the aloha spirit shining in you. Also, most of us here only speak english so if your gonna put somebody down at least man up and speak english so we can all read your insults.

Last edited by mauidude; 08-12-2007 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-12-2007, 02:45 PM

62 posts, read 332,523 times
Hi there,

My family just relocated to Oahu from Orange County and in fact we lived years ago in Ladera Ranch.

I am still just getting the lay of the land here. But, I would say it is somewhat more expensive. For example, a regular grocery trip in California would run me about $100, here it is more $120 to $130. Now, I don't really shop "carefully", but I do use a club card. I am sure you could keep it about the same if you shopped with coupons, were aware of specials, did the Costco thing, etc.

In terms of utilities our monthly phone, internet and cable bills are less. Water seems about the same and I have not gotten the much dreaded electric bill yet since they are on a two month billing cycle. We have A/C in our house but rarely use it. Gasoline is about the same as in California, maybe 10 cents or so more per gallon. Our car insurance went up slightly, I think about $50 per six month cycle.

We did choose to send our six year old daughter to private school. She loves it! School here starts in August, just so you know. I don't know much about the public schools. I have heard the ones in our area (Hawaii Kai) are pretty good. As well as Kailua and Kahala areas.

Regarding jobs, we are here because of a corporate relocation. Not sure what your husband does, but there is a demand for executives in a variety of industries. My husband is making a lot more than he did on the mainland, but our experience may not be the norm. Also, we are definitely paying more on our "ginormous" mortgage!!

Overall, we really like it here and are glad we made the move. It is so beautiful - I get to see the most increadible ocean views as I drive my daughter to school, and we spot rainbows almost every day. We have not experienced any "haole hate", but welcoming, friendly neighbors and people.

Hope some of that helped! Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM

My point RE buying online and having items shipped to Maui is from years of personnal experience. I could buy construction tools, compressors, skilsaws, drills etc over the net for far less than I could buy them on Maui, but once FedEx or UPS costs were factored in, buying local just made more sense. And MauiDude, you're flat out wrong about not being able to find size 16 shoes on Maui, they've got em right down at Ace Hardware, they are however made out of rubber, but who wants to be a slave to fashion, and if you're not wearing slippahs, then you're just not dressing right. Try AlohaShirtShop.com or Avanti in Honolulu for some fine Aloha shirts, should be mandatory wear over here anyway, and shipping will be manini kala.

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii