Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 05:22 PM

13 posts, read 42,981 times

Advertisements

Aloha!
I have heard that a distillery on Maui has started making okolehao by an old
authentic recipe and was supposed to start selling it this year under the label
of "Nine Islands Okolehao" produced by Sandwich Islands Distilling Company.
Anybody know about the availability of this hooch?
Mahalo,
---napaunui
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:48 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
There's a word I haven't heard in a long time. We used to serve Okolehau at the old Maui Outrigger on Keawekapu beach, and as I recall, it was some pretty nasty stuff, especially if you drank it along with Primo beer, which I don't believe is around any more. Ahhhh.............the good old days!
I'll look into it for you.

Okolemaluna (bottoms up)

Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 PM

Just spoke with a buddy of mine who owns a liquor store near my condo, he's been here about ten years, never even heard of Okolehao, so I guess the rumors of it's reincarnation are unfounded. Really wouldn't be a bad idea to bring it back, every bar in every hotel and restuarant in the Islands would have to carry it, if not just as a novelty item. And if brewed and distilled properly, unlike the stuff in the 70's, it would probably be pretty good, if given a chance to age in some oak barrels that had previously been used for brandy or perhaps port. I may have to look into this. They had another homemade hootch over here, swipe, made from the fruit off of cactus trees, now that was REALLY pilau. When I tended bar here tourists would buy Primo, which was some fairly lousey beer, and take it home with them, to share the Aloha with their friends and family.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 10-21-2007, 03:41 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Just spoke with a buddy of mine who owns a liquor store near my condo, he's been here about ten years, never even heard of Okolehao, so I guess the rumors of it's reincarnation are unfounded. Really wouldn't be a bad idea to bring it back, every bar in every hotel and restuarant in the Islands would have to carry it, if not just as a novelty item. And if brewed and distilled properly, unlike the stuff in the 70's, it would probably be pretty good, if given a chance to age in some oak barrels that had previously been used for brandy or perhaps port. I may have to look into this. They had another homemade hootch over here, swipe, made from the fruit off of cactus trees, now that was REALLY pilau. When I tended bar here tourists would buy Primo, which was some fairly lousey beer, and take it home with them, to share the Aloha with their friends and family.

Aloha and okolemaluna
those were the days my friend. i remember my father and his friends drinking primo beer under the mango tree and eating green mangoes with a shoyu, pepper and vinegar sauce. my realtor on the big island said that he would eat guavas with that same sauce but called it bug juice?!

bet you drank awa, too?! maybe set up an awa bar. lol.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:22 PM

The funny thing with the Okolehao back here in the 70's, which I think was made in Puunene, was that sometimes it was actually quite good, and at other times, absolutely horrible, but was very rare indeed that a tourist wouldn't give it a try, and of course a Primo beer!!! Living with a local family when I moved here, we went upcountry, picked a bunch of panini, the cactus fruit, extracted the juice with a homemade press. They just put the juice into a plastic bucket, covered it with a piece of cheesecloth, and let her rip!!! I forget how long we let it ferment, probably wasn't long, but this batch of swipe was for some special occasion,(may have been for any day of the week that ended in the letter "Y"), so a good deal of awa was thrown in!! I remember sitting on a chair under the plumeria tree in the Akinas yard, having finished my second glass of the stuff, and wondering, "why can't I move??????" Kahiko kaao.
As a sidenote, there was a dock strike in 1977, I'm tending bar at the old Outrigger on Maui, we start to run out of beer!!! First to go was Budweiser, second was Olympia, third to go was Millers, if I recall correctly, we still had some Primo left by the time the strike was settled and beer was delivered again....
Aloha

Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Primo beer is back and mo-betta than ever.

I remember drinking it in the early 70s and I wasn't impressed. Primo now is a quality beer including the price.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,705 times
Which brewery it making Primo this time around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii