Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 AM

270 posts, read 506,338 times

Advertisements

Published - Nov 01 2011 05:57AM EST

By JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER - Associated Press

HONOLULU — Nicole Leszczynski couldn't imagine that two chicken salad sandwiches would land her and her husband in jail and her 2-year-old daughter in state custody.

==============

This is the most moronic thing read recently about a market chain. Is this "aloha"?? Did they at least receive a "lai"??

The family had moved to an apartment near downtown Honolulu from California two weeks ago. Still settling in, they ventured out Wednesday to stock up on groceries, took the bus, got lost, and ended up at a Safeway supermarket.

Famished, the former Air Force staff sergeant picked up the two sandwiches that together cost $5. She openly munched on one while they shopped, saving the wrapper to be scanned at the register later.

But they forgot to pay for the sandwiches as they checked out with about $50 worth of groceries.

"When the security guard questioned us, I was really embarrassed, I was horrified," she said. They were led upstairs, where the couple expected to get a lecture, pay for the sandwiches, and be allowed on their way.

But store managers wouldn't allow them to pay for the sandwiches, she said.

"I asked to talk to a manager and he said it was against their policy to pay for items that left the store," she said. "The security guard said we were being charged with shoplifting."

Four hours later, a police officer arrived and read them their rights. A woman from the state Child Welfare Services arrived to take Zofia away.

The pregnant mother said she tried to keep her composure until Zofia, who turns 3 in December, left the store. "I didn't want Zofia to be scared because she's never spent a night away from us. She didn't have her stuffed animal. She didn't have her toothbrush."

But as soon as her daughter left, "I got completely hysterical. I went to the bathroom and I threw up," she recalled.

A Honolulu police spokeswoman said it was procedure to call Child Welfare Services if a child is present when both parents are arrested. The store's management did not know the girl would be taken away, said Susan Houghton, a spokeswoman for California-based Safeway.

The national supermarket chain said it was looking into the incident. "It was never our intent to separate a mother from her child. That was a very unfortunate consequence to this situation," Houghton said. "We understand the outrage. We are concerned about how this was handled."

=================

They had NOT left the store yet, so kidnapping them 4 hours awaiting police is silly too. Yes, they should have PAID for the food BEFORE eating, even going to any cashier FIRST to do so, then finish shopping. BUT, being stupid is not
necessarily an indication of intent to steal. Maybe if Safeway sold gold bullion, a different matter. Maybe the store could not "see" facts and had their heads placed upwards into the large intestinal tract, blinding them.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-09-2012 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: cut out a sentence - copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Wow - the AP must be slow publishing stories back to the mainland, that story is old news here in Hawaii, been on the news for awhile.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Wow - the AP must be slow publishing stories back to the mainland, that story is old news here in Hawaii, been on the news for awhile.
I wonder what shipping company they used?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:25 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Well, usually the news never gets all the details straight and I don't know anyone who was there so I don't know how far off the news article was. The TV news mostly had the female of the couple talking, dunno if the husband is abrasive or not. If his standard operating procedure is to be rough, that could have encouraged the store to toss the book at them.

An earlier news report had mentioned each sandwich was $5, I can't think of any sandwich Safeway sells (in Hawaii, anyway) which would be less than $5 for two so I'm guessing their transgression was at least around $10. That may have put the amount up to a certain number where the store is required to follow some sort of procedure. I'm guessing $10 (or whatever the amount actually was) might make the store have to follow some sort of procedure put in place back when $!0 meant something, but this is purely conjecture on my part.

We also don't know what the interaction between the folks was. Sometimes mainland folks are real harsh by local standards and they may have been embarrassed and anxious and came across as rude when they didn't intend to. They may have yelled at the security or something which caused them to adhere to the rules. Hard for say and until I hear anything more about it - from a reputable source - I'm reserving a final opinion.

What with the economy and all, the store has probably had a whole lot more folks in there "grazing". They may have instituted these "zero tolerance" rules because of increased thefts. Wouldn't someone have noticed the sandwich wrappers left in the cart? The person bagging the groceries, the cashier, the customer?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,217 times
hotzcatz as usual has a great perspective. It's hard to know what really transpired without being a witness.

I agree that it can come down to people who come from one way of handling a situation clashed with a very different culture.

Interesting that a family who is so embarrassed by this happening would further their celebrity by being extremely public about it. You would think someone who truly made a mistake and was mortified would want it all to go away and would have talked quietly about it. But again, hard to tell.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

The "awhile" event was just 5 days ago. Mainland media has it all over the place for five days..this is a recent "on line" depiction by several sources and AP.
Since they will go to court , it was put out again. Like M Jackson stories and all others that drive media revenues, it never fades until the fat lady sings...after her sandwich at Safeway, of course, and spending time in jail.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:01 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
hotzcatz as usual has a great perspective. It's hard to know what really transpired without being a witness.

I agree that it can come down to people who come from one way of handling a situation clashed with a very different culture.

Interesting that a family who is so embarrassed by this happening would further their celebrity by being extremely public about it. You would think someone who truly made a mistake and was mortified would want it all to go away and would have talked quietly about it. But again, hard to tell.

Maybe the culture of Atilla the Hun meets due process?

Arrest for $10?

Riight.

Thirty weeks pregnant woman with a child.

She offers to pay and instead throw her in jail.

I've done this. Its easy to do. I went back the next day and paid for it.

Safeway is way out of line.

Screw Safeway. I'm banning THEM for a year.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
no grazing allowed. i have seen many a mom watch her kid eat the hershey bar in line and not pay for it
problem is we gota generation of people that see no problem in petty theft.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Maybe the culture of Atilla the Hun meets due process?

Arrest for $10?

Riight.

Thirty weeks pregnant woman with a child.

She offers to pay and instead throw her in jail.

I've done this. Its easy to do. I went back the next day and paid for it.

Safeway is way out of line.

Screw Safeway. I'm banning THEM for a year.
==============

Be careful, they may send Seal Team 6 after you, fly you to Safeway HQs and keep the plane on a tarmac 7 hours to torture you w/o a toilet, food, and water. "Plane Boarding" is the improved version of "waterboarding".

Old 11-01-2011, 01:06 PM

129 posts, read 389,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
"Very" different culture? I guess so!

Where is it the custom to go to a supermarket and eat within the store, food that you have not yet paid for?

What country are these people from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: