Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:07 PM

219 posts, read 497,422 times

Advertisements

Thought this might need a new thread. I called Alaska this evening to confirm, pets can now fly in cabin from the mainland to HI. If you have all your paperwork in order for entry into Hawaii and your pet is small enough to fit under the seat they can fly in cabin. The fee will still be $100 but all things considered that's reasonable.

They do limit the number of animals on a flight and paperwork needs to be in hand. I hope all the petlovers take advantage of this new policy so other carriers will be prompted to follow or at the very least Alaska will keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 02:45 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenIntoGreatness View Post
Thought this might need a new thread. I called Alaska this evening to confirm, pets can now fly in cabin from the mainland to HI. If you have all your paperwork in order for entry into Hawaii and your pet is small enough to fit under the seat they can fly in cabin. The fee will still be $100 but all things considered that's reasonable.

They do limit the number of animals on a flight and paperwork needs to be in hand. I hope all the petlovers take advantage of this new policy so other carriers will be prompted to follow or at the very least Alaska will keep it.
Alaska has in cabin flights!

Book it, Danno!
Attached Thumbnails
New AlaskaAirlines Pet Policy: Cats & Dogs in Cabin to HI for 0-526.jpg  

Old 01-29-2012, 09:54 AM

18,419 posts, read 19,031,744 times
cool

Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Isn't that teriffic. But, I am wondering what the man does who needs to transport his three big dogs to Hawaii with him. Would it be the same cost in cargo?
At least there is a way to not leave ones pet back home. They are so much part of a family.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:35 AM

18,419 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Isn't that teriffic. But, I am wondering what the man does who needs to transport his three big dogs to Hawaii with him. Would it be the same cost in cargo?
At least there is a way to not leave ones pet back home. They are so much part of a family.
any animal that won't fit under the seat has to go in the cargo.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM

229 posts, read 929,477 times
Reckon we'll see more stories like this one:Air Canada flight delayed after escaped cat gets cosy in the cockpit

Old 01-29-2012, 11:40 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
When I worked for Delta some 10 years ago now, I use to dread this question about pets. Mainly because as with carry on people want to bend the rules. I remember one day a passenger brought 2 rats in a carrier and wanted to fit them under the seat. It was legal or so we were told that day at the Boston Airport. I really questioned if in fact it was legal, or the supervisors didn't want to deal with the passenger. The passengers seated next to this passenger didn't appreciate his pets, and we had to rearrange seats for everyone delaying that flight. Thankfully it wasn't a full flight that day. The passenger felt he had paid for his particular seat assignment and his rats, and would only sit where he paid for. I felt I was seeing the real beginnings of the thoughtlessness and greed in both our society and the airline industry. Rats on a plane and expect paying passengers to put up with this in that little space. I don't blame them I wouldn't sit there either. I wouldn't want to be on that plane.

My point is I think its great that people can bring thier pet on the plane with them. I sincerely mean that, but I think one has to be practical and show consideration. The aircraft cabin is for people not pets, but society today has changed the rules. So someone is going to suffer because the airlines basically only care about money money and more money. The passenger doesn't mean anything anymore to an airline but that money. So its up to the passengers to show some courtesy.

So please people I realize your not bringing rats on board your flight, but if you bring pets onboard do this.

Ask your fellow seatmates if your pet bothers them. For the person that is allergic or has asthma, that pet can make their flight terrifying and uncomfortable at 30,000 feet when they can't breathe. An aircraft cabin is a cramped recycled air enviroment. I don't know what the latest requirements are but I'm told its up to 7 to 10 pets can be onboard now. I imagine that is on larger aircraft. Again more revenue for the airlines. I'm always amazed at what the airlines will do to raise revenue.

Some people are nice and some are not so nice. I have run into passengers that feel they paid for a certain seat and thier pet, and thats the seat they get. Like that man with the rats and a few more with the same attitude. They could care less if the passenger next to them is bothered by the pet, so let them move. Its sad to say but that does go on.

People don't want to make trouble but the airlines will do little, so just show some courtesy when travelling with pets on a crowded plane. It makes for a more enjoyable flight for everyone, in these days when air travel has become a not so nice experience.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM

219 posts, read 497,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I was told the fee is $100 for cargo as well, at least with big dogs no one will throw them.

What prompted my renewed search was my mother called me from San Diego in tears. She witnessed a Delta luggage handler THROW someone's checked pet, in carrier btw. She said the carrier was very clearly marked live animals but he threw it anyway w/ passengers watching. She was just adamant that my yorkie would die under such treatment and wanted me to find another way to bring her to Hawaii or give my dog to her.

Upset mommas can be a real motivator, ya know?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 PM

181 posts, read 586,241 times
Gotta be one small dog to fit under a seat!

How many inches tall can the carrier be?

Do they have to stay in the carrier the whole trip?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
When I worked for Delta some 10 years ago now, I use to dread this question about pets. Mainly because as with carry on people want to bend the rules. I remember one day a passenger brought 2 rats in a carrier and wanted to fit them under the seat. It was legal or so we were told that day at the Boston Airport. I really questioned if in fact it was legal, or the supervisors didn't want to deal with the passenger. The passengers seated next to this passenger didn't appreciate his pets, and we had to rearrange seats for everyone delaying that flight. Thankfully it wasn't a full flight that day. The passenger felt he had paid for his particular seat assignment and his rats, and would only sit where he paid for. I felt I was seeing the real beginnings of the thoughtlessness and greed in both our society and the airline industry. Rats on a plane and expect paying passengers to put up with this in that little space. I don't blame them I wouldn't sit there either. I wouldn't want to be on that plane.

My point is I think its great that people can bring thier pet on the plane with them. I sincerely mean that, but I think one has to be practical and show consideration. The aircraft cabin is for people not pets, but society today has changed the rules. So someone is going to suffer because the airlines basically only care about money money and more money. The passenger doesn't mean anything anymore to an airline but that money. So its up to the passengers to show some courtesy.

So please people I realize your not bringing rats on board your flight, but if you bring pets onboard do this.

Ask your fellow seatmates if your pet bothers them. For the person that is allergic or has asthma, that pet can make their flight terrifying and uncomfortable at 30,000 feet when they can't breathe. An aircraft cabin is a cramped recycled air enviroment. I don't know what the latest requirements are but I'm told its up to 7 to 10 pets can be onboard now. I imagine that is on larger aircraft. Again more revenue for the airlines. I'm always amazed at what the airlines will do to raise revenue.

Some people are nice and some are not so nice. I have run into passengers that feel they paid for a certain seat and thier pet, and thats the seat they get. Like that man with the rats and a few more with the same attitude. They could care less if the passenger next to them is bothered by the pet, so let them move. Its sad to say but that does go on.

People don't want to make trouble but the airlines will do little, so just show some courtesy when travelling with pets on a crowded plane. It makes for a more enjoyable flight for everyone, in these days when air travel has become a not so nice experience.

thank you for posting. It unbelievable how much disregard people have for their fellow humans these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: