Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM

9 posts, read 17,052 times

Advertisements

I just moved here in early January (Maui)...having done a lot of research, read everything on this forum I could, scared to death but as prepared as I could be: and I got lucky, very lucky.

It's nearly impossible to find someone willing to rent, whether lease or month-to-month, to someone from the mainland - but I found someone willing to take a chance. It wasn't my first choice at location, but it worked out. And because it did, it's working out for the next person who's taking my place...I'm moving to Lahaina (with my roommates' and landlord's blessings) and the tenant moving in is coming from the mainland. It helps that she's the same age as me (early 50s) and similar situation. So we both got lucky, because I know from hundreds of pre-move inquiries how difficult it is to find a place before you get here.

Didn't even try to look for a job before I got here, but expected both that it would take awhile to find one, and that I might have to work 2 or even 3 very part-time minimum wage jobs for a long time. but came prepared with my resume and 3 wonderful letters of recommendation. Again, got VERY lucky:

I've been offered 4 different retail jobs at $10-$12/hr...solid offers. Got offered another 4-day a week office job but actually turned it down because I had interviewed that day for the job I "really" wanted - believe me, I sweated bullets over that one! But today I was offered the job I wanted - she had all the usual concerns about whether I would stay, etc. and did, indeed, contact my references personally (both local "friend" references as well as business references on the mainland).

I am so happy, and so aware of how lucky I've been...I start Monday, at a good wage with full benefits, in my ideal location in a job I can likely keep until I retire (people in this office stay for YEARS).

The point of my post is not to challenge any of the warnings I've read here. Instead, it's to say that BECAUSE of this forum, I was extra diligent in my preparations AND my expectations. And it just happened to work out. My friends (both local and mainland) tell me I've always got the "adapt to anything" attitude, and I'm certain that worked in my favor.

But I do believe anyone coming here expecting "things" to be like the mainland (and I've lived all over the country, from big city to small rural town, and even in Scotland, through the decades) and carrying any kind of inflexible attitude is going to experience more negatives than someone who adapts, learns, and experiences the local culture whatever it happens to be where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 PM

13 posts, read 32,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicZ58 View Post
The point of my post is not to challenge any of the warnings I've read here. Instead, it's to say that BECAUSE of this forum, I was extra diligent in my preparations AND my expectations. And it just happened to work out. My friends (both local and mainland) tell me I've always got the "adapt to anything" attitude, and I'm certain that worked in my favor.

But I do believe anyone coming here expecting "things" to be like the mainland (and I've lived all over the country, from big city to small rural town, and even in Scotland, through the decades) and carrying any kind of inflexible attitude is going to experience more negatives than someone who adapts, learns, and experiences the local culture whatever it happens to be where they are.
Congratulations on the new job! It seems that retail jobs are better paid in Maui than Honolulu, because wether is Waikiki or Ala Moana all they are willing to pay is $8 dollars the hour and part time. Take it or leave it. I myself got several calls from retail stores, and even went on interviews where managers would compliment my resume, charisma and friendliness and still all they could pay me was $8. That's just how the economy is right now. I definitely do have the right attitude I just wasn't willing to work for so little. I eventually got a better job not the job I wanted but at least it helps the hubby with some bills. I just wanted to put out there how the job situation is on this part of the island.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caraseun View Post
Congratulations on the new job! It seems that retail jobs are better paid in Maui than Honolulu, because wether is Waikiki or Ala Moana all they are willing to pay is $8 dollars the hour and part time. Take it or leave it. I myself got several calls from retail stores, and even went on interviews where managers would compliment my resume, charisma and friendliness and still all they could pay me was $8. That's just how the economy is right now. I definitely do have the right attitude I just wasn't willing to work for so little. I eventually got a better job not the job I wanted but at least it helps the hubby with some bills. I just wanted to put out there how the job situation is on this part of the island.
The cost of living is higher in Maui than Honolulu across the board except housing.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The cost of living is higher in Maui than Honolulu across the board except housing.
Honolulu is just wayy over crowded therefore the lack of jobs. There are more people moving every year to the island. Its insane! When I was apartment hunting there wiould be at least 10 other people trying to get the same apartment. I had no idea how desirable Hawaii is since we moved because of the military.
In another note a lot of employees in retail are mainland students from UH Manoa or the kapiolani college. They move thinking it will be fun to study by the beach and don't mind living with 4 roommates in a 1 bedroom apartment, getting payed minimum wage. I met a lot of those. There are many factors like those that make the job market hurt in Honolulu.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Honolulu is just wayy over crowded therefore the lack of jobs. There are more people moving every year to the island. Its insane! When I was apartment hunting there wiould be at least 10 other people trying to get the same apartment. I had no idea how desirable Hawaii is since we moved because of the military.
In another note a lot of employees in retail are mainland students from UH Manoa or the kapiolani college. They move thinking it will be fun to study by the beach and don't mind living with 4 roommates in a 1 bedroom apartment, getting payed minimum wage. I met a lot of those. There are many factors like those that make the job market hurt in Honolulu.
Well - the unemployment rate in each of the Hawaiian islands including Maui is much higher than Oahu. 5.6% in Oahu in November versus 7.7% in Maui.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 AM

9 posts, read 17,052 times
Quote:
Thank you! I'm thrilled with the job - a full-time office job in a property management firm that has longevity and appears to offer stability (and benefits!). I realize how very lucky I was to find such a good job and so quickly. I was more than prepared to go the retail route...and even in that, I was extraordinarily lucky to be offered the positions at those rates part-time.

I fully agree with you on the job situations, both in Maui and elsewhere. It was daunting and I'm still pinching myself over my good fortune. Having the job makes everything else seem manageable!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The minimum wage is fine and employers will pay more, much more, if they need workers and they can;t find them for that wage. But if we have people who will work for the low wages, is it the employer or employee keeping the wage down? Why does a demolotion explosive handler get paid 3X on Hawaii what they do on the mainland? because they are a rare person on Hawaii and can command more money. Why do Hawaii employers pay waiters so little compared to a similar place on the mainland, because there is a glut of waiters.

If you wer to require a 20 hour week, employers will just eliminate 3 14 hour positions to make only 1 single 20 hour position. Anyway, who is hawaii to tell a business how many hours they must employ a person, isn;t that the decission for the bsuiness to make based on staffing needs.

I have to disagree with you. Respect for your employees and fair pay is profitable business. BIG part of a companys success comes from its human resource. When I worked in Florida I made $10 an hour working at a retail store.It just seems so unfair that Hawaii is way more expensive than FL but then you get pay better there. I understand how beautiful Hawaii is but for some parts it feels like a third world country where the government let companies do whatever they want and don't care for their population.

Last edited by Caraseun; 02-10-2012 at 03:04 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 AM

140 posts, read 407,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The minimum wage is fine and employers will pay more, much more, if they need workers and they can;t find them for that wage. But if we have people who will work for the low wages, is it the employer or employee keeping the wage down? Why does a demolotion explosive handler get paid 3X on Hawaii what they do on the mainland? because they are a rare person on Hawaii and can command more money. Why do Hawaii employers pay waiters so little compared to a similar place on the mainland, because there is a glut of waiters.
exactly!

this is the bottom line. build a resume that is tailored to what the economy needs. every market for a specialized task.

i have a friend that has an amazing resume as a machinist, his skill set is above what you find in most locals. his problem was that he wasn't a us citizen, so he couldn't work at the ship yard. he recently gained citizenship and within three months he was offered what he called his dream job. before that he was getting not so great offers, even though ppl recognized places that he worked and previous bosses.

Last edited by mokeanne; 02-10-2012 at 03:04 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 03:58 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
I have to disagree with you. Respect for your employees and fair pay is profitable business. BIG part of a companys success comes from its human resource. When I worked in Florida I made $10 an hour working at a retail store.It just seems so unfair that Hawaii is way more expensive than FL but then you get pay better there. I understand how beautiful Hawaii is but for some parts it feels like a third world country where the government let companies do whatever they want and don't care for their population.
Finally, someone who agrees with me on City-Data...LOL. Rep point for you.

This talk about all the hotels going out of biz if they had to pay $15 an hour is so not true - just look at Australia, which now has a min wage of (drum roll, please) - $15.51 an hour, as of 2010 (could be even higher now, since it's indexed to inflation. PLUS, they get a min of 4 weeks vacation, required by law, and of course, they have universal health coverage.

And yet, Australia has the most prosperous economy in the world right now, and all those high-rise hotels along their Gold Coast, I don't think any of them are closing up shop due to the "travesty" of paying a decent, livable wage.

Case closed.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Just find it interesting how many of the questions--and answers--in the Hawaii forum are so similar to those in the NYC forum. Two very different islands, but many of the situations--jobs, rents, etc., are the same, as are the number of people who want to move there hoping they will make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii