Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:39 PM

13 posts, read 32,233 times

Advertisements

Clearly numbers don't lie. I just happen to see Asian visitors year round whereas Americans only during holidays and the summer. Funny whenever I applied for jobs at hotels they would tell me how they couldn't make me any offer for my inability to speak Japanese. Maybe they are the ones who fill the 5 star hotels. anyhow I'm not discussing wether Hawaii isnt n awesome tourist destination. I dreamed on visiting Hawaii at some point of my life. It just so happened my husband got stationed here. My concern is the low wages compared to the HIGH cost of living. I believe it is a closed case since you guys think it is ok for a company to not pay a fare wage to their employees. Now everything makes sense I used to ask myself why the Hawaiians living in Forth Worth Texas would leave their beautiful state for the humid, 100+ degrees summer, no beach or mountain Forth Worth. The answer is pretty clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caraseun View Post
Clearly numbers don't lie. I just happen to see Asian visitors year round whereas Americans only during holidays and the summer. Funny whenever I applied for jobs at hotels they would tell me how they couldn't make me any offer for my inability to speak Japanese. Maybe they are the ones who fill the 5 star hotels. anyhow I'm not discussing wether Hawaii isnt n awesome tourist destination. I dreamed on visiting Hawaii at some point of my life. It just so happened my husband got stationed here. My concern is the low wages compared to the HIGH cost of living. I believe it is a closed case since you guys think it is ok for a company to not pay a fare wage to their employees. Now everything makes sense I used to ask myself why the Hawaiians living in Forth Worth Texas would leave their beautiful state for the humid, 100+ degrees summer, no beach or mountain Forth Worth. The answer is pretty clear.
There are a host of reaons why employers don;t pay more and we can spend years on this and coutless pages on CD. All that won;t change the most basic thing that there are low paying jobs in NYC despite the high cost of living there, there are low paying jobs in Miami, despite the higher cost of living, There are low paying jobs in Chicago, depsite the high cost of living. There are low paying jobs in Alexandria VA despite the high cost of living. No matter where you go there will always be some jobs that pay low wages even though the cost of living is higher. There is absolutely nothing unique about Hawaii having low paying jobs while cost of living is higher than other places of the mainland. That is just the way things are all over. there is no way to make it a Hawaii issue because its a worldwide issue, plain and simple.

You also have to realize your talking the most common, everyday, lower skill job. Not every place has the same level of services so being a hotel worker in Hawaii, or Miami, or Sandiego, Or Vail, or Orlando is very common just like a snowmobile mechanic is very common in places with snow. You are also ignoring that the ratio of staff to guest is so much highr in these destination rsort locations where service is expected at a level not done in many other places. That means that the dollar each guest spend per night has to cover more people's wages on Hawaii than on the mainland.

it has nothing to do with if we think companies are paying fare wages, it is just the reality and FACT of Hawaii. Trying to argue over Hawaii wages versus mainland wages is the same as complaining about the lack of snow during the winter. Its a fact of life you and I have no control over so get over it already......

Old 02-10-2012, 05:22 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
There are a host of reaons why employers don;t pay more and we can spend years on this and coutless pages on CD.
Only one reason, they don't have to. Employers only pay their employees what they feel they must pay in order to keep a staff that will produce a profit for them. Simple as that!

Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
I'll also add, there is no conspiracy theory going on here - the cost of doing business in Hawaii which by the way is a remote island in the middle of Pacific Ocean is extremely high. Via supply and demand, people (perhaps grudgingly) are paid what they are paid. Everyone is free to leave - or not come if the wage scale and cost of living does not suit them.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
PacificFlights, you hang out with the airlines too much! If the companies paid fare wages we'd all be rolling in it since fares are so high, unfortunately, the companies don't even pay fair wages, let alone any high enough to buy (air)fares with. [okay, back to your regularly scheduled programming]

Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caraseun View Post
... My concern is the low wages compared to the HIGH cost of living. I believe it is a closed case since you guys think it is ok for a company to not pay a fare wage to their employees...
If a company does not pay a fair wage, they won't either get any employees or keep the ones they do get. No one is forcing the employee to work for a particular company. No one forces an employee to work at the same job at minimum wage, all of their life.

The higher that minimum wage goes up relative to the value that the employee gives to the employer, the fewer actual there are available.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,790 times
Interesting thread!

My company offered me $45K. I countered with $50K because I honestly did not think I could afford to live out there with student loan payments, etc. They gave me what I expected - $47K. And I was right, I couldn't afford to live there... which is one of the reasons I left just short of 2 years.

$45K would be a GREAT starting job pretty much anywhere on the mainland - in fact, my fellow college graduates could've only dreamed of making that much to start (they were getting only around the $30K's). But in the end, it wasn't enough for me to continue living in Hawaii.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,790 times
Oh and if you'd REALLY like to see what a Japanese tourist market is like, go visit CNMI - Saipan, Tinian, and Rota. I was pretty much the only white girl on Saipan when I went for business - people looked at me like I had 5 heads.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM

47 posts, read 129,618 times
47k seems like it would be hard to live on there. I'm trying to get a job with the police on Kauai. I think it pays about 52. I've done a lot of figuring and I think that would still be a struggle since I have 2 kids. My wife is a nurse but I keep hearing there aren't many RN jobs right now. I think the chance of getting the police job might be slim but worth a shot. My other plan of course its to wait for the demand for nursing to come back and I'll try my luck at starting a business.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM

47 posts, read 129,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The higher that minimum wage goes up relative to the value that the employee gives to the employer, the fewer actual there are available.
and the ones that do have jobs will see their disposable income decrease as their wages increase. they wont be able to keep up with the inflation caused by minimum wage laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii