Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 6,462 times

Advertisements

I am highly considering moving to Hawaii, most likely Maui or O'ahu. I will be in school if I go and I need to make sure I will be able to survive there. I am from Oregon and I get free healthcare here. Would it be likely that I would be given a free healthcare plan since I was given one in Oregon? Does that even exist in Hawaii? Also, I am part Native American. I get resources available to me on the mainland because of this. Hawaii is technically America, however a bit of a different situation and location from the Native American ancestors. Are there any services for Native Americans? I REALLY want to move, however these benefits I get are greatly helping me through school and guiding me towards my goals. Basically, what resources are available for those who are not Hawaiian? Also, on Maui, just how bad is the bus system? I have visited twice and only saw one bus! Is it not a reliable source to use for getting around? I'd have to survive without a car for a while if I choose Maui (if there are resources available for me.) I know O'ahu has "The Bus" all over the place which is helpful. If anyone is familiar with resources, healthcare, and possible benefits for Native Americans I would highly appreciate any info. I am not trying to be a lazy bum, I'm trying to survive through school with my high medical costs until I get a career and health insurance that way. Sorry this ended up a novel! Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 05:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Stay in Oregon.

You will receive no native american benefits at the state level in Hawaii.

As far as healthcare - unless you have some plan at the federal level you aren't going to enjoy free healthcare in Hawaii. Employers are mandated to offer a plan if you have a job over 20 hours a week but it isn't necessarily free and to get around this mandate many places restrict the hours to less than 20 hours.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:02 PM

Thank you! That is a great start. Is the bus on Maui an ok way to get around for a while? My tribe is officially located in Oklahoma but we have "Indian Health Services" in Oregon which help with things. I realize there are no state Native American tribes in Hawaii, therefore no offices, so nowhere on the islands to physically go to. However since it is technically America I wonder if I would still get benefits(help with school, etc.). Or, since there are benefits for Hawaiians the state is not eligible. That wouldn't make much since to deny me just because I am not on a mainland state. That is something I should look into and now I have a more refined view of what I need to figure out. My healthcare has been Oregon only but it is changing and will cost a small amount and I have many options to choose from, it's possible that an option could be at the federal level- I haven't looked that closely or chosen it yet. Wow, writing this definitely helps me problem solve! I am trying to be very careful that I will be successful if I move and well prepared.
All other advice welcome!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:12 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Stay in Oregon.

You will receive no native american benefits at the state level in Hawaii.

As far as healthcare - unless you have some plan at the federal level you aren't going to enjoy free healthcare in Hawaii. Employers are mandated to offer a plan if you have a job over 20 hours a week but it isn't necessarily free and to get around this mandate many places restrict the hours to less than 20 hours.
American Indians and Native Alaskans who are Hawaiʻi residents can obtain free primary healthcare services as well as treatment for substance abuse and alcoholism via an Indian Health Services (IHS) contract with Ke Ola Mamo. However, most of the services are limited to Oʻahu. Here's a link to what's needed to become a Hawaiʻi resident for ID purposes...
Hawaii State Identification Cards

And, here's a link to what's needed to obtain healthcare and other services...
American Indian Alaska Native Healthcare in Hawaii (AIANHH)

Ironically, Native Hawaiians who live within the continental United States aren't treated as generously by most American Indian tribes...

Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
American Indians and Native Alaskans who are Hawaiʻi residents can obtain free primary healthcare services as well as treatment for substance abuse and alcoholism via an Indian Health Services (IHS) contract with Ke Ola Mamo. However, most of the services are limited to Oʻahu. Here's a link to what's needed to become a Hawaiʻi resident for ID purposes...
Hawaii State Identification Cards

And, here's a link to what's needed to obtain healthcare and other services...
American Indian Alaska Native Healthcare in Hawaii (AIANHH)

Ironically, Native Hawaiians who live within the continental United States aren't treated as generously by most American Indian tribes...
Hmmm, interesting - although since the op suggests she has some serious health issues she shoud contact those places directly - I wouldn't be surprised the services provided by traditional insurance are much more robust than the AIANHH, but who knows......

Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Oh wow, that's great! I will look in to that as well. Thank you! Now what exactly do you mean by "Resident?" I have looked up information about that and there is no clear cut answer. I think it would take quite a while to prove permanent residency but could do it through school (I assume in person). However, does a driver's license with a Hawaii address count in this situation? Also, I am still curious about the bus situation.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hmmm, interesting - although since the op suggests she has some serious health issues she shoud contact those places directly - I wouldn't be surprised the services provided by traditional insurance are much more robust than the AIANHH, but who knows......
I don't have serious health issues but would be living on a VERY tight budget and would not be able to afford to get routine physical exams, dental, etc. IHS provide those for free. I also have ADD (too much info? ) and the doctor without insurance or IHS is approx. $150 a month. That's why I'm so big on the benefits and services available. They also give you resources and help you with paying for school in some situations. It's also somewhere to go in case I end up completely stuck and confused to guide me on what to do so I can learn and adjust. They are great at helping people out with random issues.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLove View Post
I don't have serious health issues but would be living on a VERY tight budget...
How much research have you done so far about moving to Hawai'i?

Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLove View Post
I don't have serious health issues but would be living on a VERY tight budget and would not be able to afford to get routine physical exams, dental, etc. IHS provide those for free. I also have ADD (too much info? ) and the doctor without insurance or IHS is approx. $150 a month. That's why I'm so big on the benefits and services available. They also give you resources and help you with paying for school in some situations. It's also somewhere to go in case I end up completely stuck and confused to guide me on what to do so I can learn and adjust. They are great at helping people out with random issues.
Having lived in Oregon (briefly) I found the cost of living in Hawaii 50% higher and any salary at least 25% lower.

Why Hawaii? In Oregon you've likely got superior healthcare, a better quality of life, better education, beaches, mountains.......why move to one of the most remote places in the world?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
How much research have you done so far about moving to Hawai'i?
Quite a bit about 6 years ago. I was considering moving there for school and looked at different programs on O'ahu and some on the BI. I researched and found that I could live on campus or in apartments designated for students. I never considered Maui for some reason because I had never been there but have since been there twice. Right now I am starting to research if this is do-able at this time in my life, hence me asking questions and getting guided in the right direction about important factors I need to research further. Asking people the questions and getting pointed in a closer direction than I would have known is a big help, so thanks everyone it is much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii