Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 13,012 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Oahu for a PCS move with the Coast Guard. We have family in Kaneohe, on my wife's side, which will make life a little easier while settling in. Guess I'll be the token Haole-haha.

1.) We'll live on Hickam AFB and I'll start attending UH, hopefully, in the Spring 2013 semester. From what I gather, the parking on UH is terrible. Should I try to use the bus system or buy a moped? I hear the bus system is pretty good, and I don't know how the route is from Hickam to UH for riding on a moped.

2.) I enjoy volunteering. Anyone recommend some particular organizations in the area to become involved with?

I'm sooo ready for the Hawaii mantra. I've been living in Washington D.C. for awhile and people are so edgy around here.

I appreciate any advice.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyjen View Post
1.) We'll live on Hickam AFB and I'll start attending UH, hopefully, in the Spring 2013 semester. From what I gather, the parking on UH is terrible. Should I try to use the bus system or buy a moped? I hear the bus system is pretty good, and I don't know how the route is from Hickam to UH for riding on a moped.
A moped seems like it would be a real challenge for a few reasons. It is a bit of a hike over surface streets to UH from Hickam - I'm guessing you'd take Nimitz Highway and wind your way thru town - with potentially a lot of traffic. So the danger factor comes into play. Also, we get sporadic rain showers almost everyday in summer (and more steady rain in winter) - so you'll likely get wet. The bus seems like a much better option.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM

14 posts, read 47,479 times
aloha Tyjen,

1. Commuting to UH
a. Agree with Viper as i would not recommend "mopeding" from Hickam to Manoa.
b. Riding a bicycle and hopping on The Bus is a viable option, but may take two hours going, and another two hours back. There is an established bus route through Hickam (Route 9) and you would make one transfer to UH (most likely Route 6). Note that the Hickam route is targeted for possible cuts TBD in August (www.thebus.org/Route/Routes.asp?l=eng)
c. May want to see if you can get a UH parking permit (UH Manoa - Student Parking). If you miss the cut for these from UH direct, sometimes folks will Craigslist, beware of scammers though.

2. Volunteering near Hickam
a. Arizona Memorial (www.pacifichistoricparks.org/volunteer.php)
b. Battleship Missouri (www.ussmissouri.org/page.aspx?pid=496)

hope you have as uneventful move as can be expected from one end of this great nation to the other!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
"2.) I enjoy volunteering. Anyone recommend some particular organizations in the area to become involved with?"

Our company does a lot of work with Big Brothers Big Sisters - always a worthwhile place to volunteer.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,361 times
I don't have answers for you, but wanted to high-five you for wanting to volunteer!!!!

I'm approximately a month out from being HI's newest resident, and have a couple of volunteer opportunities lined up (but not your island...so can't recommend, sorry). I can't think of a better way to become anchored in your community.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,814,251 times
Quote:
I enjoy volunteering. Anyone recommend some particular organizations in the area to become involved with?
Moped: not a safe solution considering the distance you'll be going.

Volunteering: If you have school age children, I'd start with the that (PTA/PTSA, sports coaching, scouts, etc). Those type of organizations seem to often be shorthanded of ready-volunteers. Or, if you have certain hobbies, that could be a good place to focus. Animals = shelters, construction - Habitat for Humanity, etc.

Welcome to Hawaii (soon)!

Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,416 times
Quote:
2.) I enjoy volunteering. Anyone recommend some particular organizations in the area to become involved with?
The Oahu chapter of the Surfrider Foundation has regular beach Clean-Ups. Pretty fun, and they usually give away stuff as well as feed you. (There's one this saturday at Sandy Beach, and the shirts from last year were REALLY nice.) Surfrider Oahu

Lanakila Pacific is always looking for volunteers. They do the Meals on Wheels program for the Island, as well as programs for individuals with various disabilities. Volunteer | Lanakila Pacific

The Humane society is close to the campus. Volunteer | Hawaiian Humane Society

Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,033,861 times
I would ride a Moped! Cheaper bike lanes, easy parking. I ride from Pearl City to town daily for years. It's fine. People ride from Makaha to town daily, so no excuses. Contrary to popular belief drivers are pretty good in Hawaii. You being from DC know what a long distance is.

Lots of great suggestions made regarding volunteering here. You'll do fine.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 13,012 times
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

The volunteer opportunities sound like fun and I'll see how the area is before finalizing a decision about a moped. I would take the bus, but I'm tired of 1.5h commutes. My current commute is 1.5h one-way whether I take the train or a car. It's just too much.

Looking forward to the move!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 PM

11 posts, read 94,494 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

The volunteer opportunities sound like fun and I'll see how the area is before finalizing a decision about a moped. I would take the bus, but I'm tired of 1.5h commutes. My current commute is 1.5h one-way whether I take the train or a car. It's just too much.

Looking forward to the move!
If you are into vegetarian or vegan food, then 'Vegetarian Socieity of Hawaii' is always looking for volunteers. Here is the link: Vegetarian Society of Hawaii : Volunteers Wanted

Can't comment on the transportation as I have never stayed in Hawaii only visited.

-ML
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii