Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:08 PM

184 posts, read 248,806 times

Advertisements

Hey all, i've been doing some research and reading through different threads trying to find exactly the info i'm looking for, but can't seem to find it. Some people moving are similar to my situation but not exact, so here goes.

I'm a 32 year old white(Italian/Romanian) male in Ohio. I've lived here all my life. I'm going to be moving next year to somewhere with a warm climate, and Hawaii is one of the places on my mind once my house sells.

A little about myself: I'm 32, software developer for 8 years, recently single, straight, in great shape, love fitness/exercise and eating a strict healthy diet, have a cat, somewhat shy and reserved personality but i'm trying to force myself to be more outgoing. I've always been kind of a loner and have lived by myself for the most part since i've been 20. I've dated a lot of girls and only a couple have lived with me for a short period of time.

Here are some of my concerns, so maybe you can help me figure out if Hawaii would be a good fit and possibly where on Hawaii i should live. Edit: These are in no paticular order.

1. I need a good night life, i'm sort of a night owl. I'm hoping for a nice beach bar atmosphere with friendly people and possibly some decent clubs that stay open late. I'm not into drugs at all but i do drink socially.

2. I am a white MALE, but i'm not agressive at all and generally get along with everyone. I'm always smiling and friendly. I'm wondering how bad the racism will be towards me. Reading some other threads have me sort of worried about it. I do get VERY tan so maybe i wouldn't stand out as badly after a couple of months. Do the girls there generally avoid haoles? I'm wondering how hard of a time i would have making friends or meeting girls.

3. I know cost of living is super high, but i don't mind living in a nice studio or 1 bedroom appartment. I also eat a strict diet so my grocerys here in Ohio are only about $60-70 per week plus a couple of cheat meals on the weekends. I drink nothing but water (except for a few drinks at a bar sometimes)

4. I am very into exercise and working out. How are the gyms there? I like to lift weights along with doing cardio. Being consistent at a gym is also how i've met some of my best friends. Are the memberships super expensive?

5. As for my money situation, i don't have a lot of savings. I would probably break even after i sold everything. I would be willing to change occupations at least until i get established. I would also attempt to get a job before i moved there, possibly in the fitness area, software development, or even bartending for extra money (i know that is probably an overpopulated profession there). I would definitely make sure i saved enough money for a trip back. I would be up for not having a car and using the public transport when i first got there.

6. I love warm/hot weather and the beach. I absolutely can not stand cold weather.

I think that covers about everything. If anyone has any questions or if i wasn't clear about anything, please let me know. Just an FYI, the other options on my mind are S Cali, S FL, and Austin, TX.

Thanks,
-Jay

Last edited by OSUbrew; 12-07-2012 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
I think Florida, ex-Flattida, is calling your name... REAL LOUD.....

Aloha

Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUbrew View Post
Hey all, i've been doing some research and reading through different threads trying to find exactly the info i'm looking for, but can't seem to find it. Some people moving are similar to my situation but not exact, so here goes.

I'm a 32 year old white(Italian/Romanian) male in Ohio. I've lived here all my life. I'm going to be moving next year to somewhere with a warm climate, and Hawaii is one of the places on my mind once my house sells.

A little about myself: I'm 32, software developer for 8 years, recently single, straight, in great shape, love fitness/exercise and eating a strict healthy diet, have a cat, somewhat shy and reserved personality but i'm trying to force myself to be more outgoing. I've always been kind of a loner and have lived by myself for the most part since i've been 20. I've dated a lot of girls and only a couple have lived with me for a short period of time.

Here are some of my concerns, so maybe you can help me figure out if Hawaii would be a good fit and possibly where on Hawaii i should live.

1. I need a good night life, i'm sort of a night owl. I'm hoping for a nice beach bar atmosphere with friendly people and possibly some decent clubs that stay open late. I'm not into drugs at all but i do drink socially.

Thanks,
-Jay
Based upon that one sentence, I would recommend Oahu, or So. California, but then I'm not a Florida fan (humidity). Try them out before making a choice.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
The nightlife in Oahu is pale compared to S Florida - if that is number 1 on the list the choice is easy. And by the way, you can live well cheaply in S Florida and afford to buy the ladies a cocktail. In Hawaii they won't be blown away with your 400 sq ft studio.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The nightlife in Oahu is pale compared to S Florida - if that is number 1 on the list the choice is easy. And by the way, you can live well cheaply in S Florida and afford to buy the ladies a cocktail. In Hawaii they won't be blown away with your 400 sq ft studio.
Those were in no particular order, but it is very important. I figured the women in Hawaii may not care as much about guys being loaded, lol. You do make a point though.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
You would have a blast in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Those were in no particular order, but it is very important. I figured the women in Hawaii may not care as much about guys being loaded, lol. You do make a point though.
Ha ha, you don't know much about Asian Clubbing Culture in Hawaii coming from Ohio I suppose.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ha ha, you don't know much about Asian Clubbing Culture in Hawaii coming from Ohio I suppose.
Lol yea, not at all.

One more piece of info that would probably be helpful. Vacationing when i was younger i've been to Florida and Las Vegas but i was too young to check out the party scene. Since i've been old enough, i've been to:

Carribean - few times: loved it, the vibe/people/clubs

Myrtle Beach - twice - HATED it both times. Cheesy places, tons of kids/families. The clubs aren't even on the beach (wtf?)

Cancun - Lots of fun, went with a few friends

Dominican Republic - Had a blast, met some Canadians. They were great.

Ocean City - Not bad, few cool clubs, Seacrets is sweet

Niagra Falls, CA - Some REAL nice strip clubs, pretty fun.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
You would have a blast in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area.

Miami was up there on my list, but i've heard some bad things about it that sort of scared me a bit. I'm still interested though.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Niagra Falls, CA - Some REAL nice strip clubs, pretty fun.
Now that's one of the funnier things I've read on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: