Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 PM

15 posts, read 34,569 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm a first time poster but long time reader and i just need some facts or direction on what I should do in life so hear me out.

I'm a sixteen year old white male living in Santa Barbara, California and I hate it here. I just am so sick of California because its sooo overated and just makes me sick now. My life here is stale and I need to get out. Yes I know Santa Barbara is beautiful but I've been here a while and in California my whole life and nothing seems thrilling or special anymore. I have no problems with family and they are supportive on my goals. What I have been thinking of doing for a year now is to move to hawaii when graduate high school. I can go to a community college in oahu and work at a hotel or anywhere while I school there. I live right next to Santa Barbara City College which is a great community college but I am counting the days when I can move to tropics and just start a new life.

I have been to Hawaii 4 times but not oahu and I know about how expensive it is but I know I can handle it. Santa Barbara is in the top ten expensive cities right next to Honolulu so I'm fine with it. California is full of hispanics and in my opinion it is ruining our economy which is another reasone why I need to get out. If you want to know one of my dreams in life is to move to the tropics. All I do at school or home is go on internet and look up tropical locations and anything about it. I know I can survive in the economy but I would like feedback from others.

Basically in conclusion, I want to move to hawaii from california at 18. Do you think I can do it and do you have any advice on it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,047 times
My advise is that you need to take alot more time to plan your move and do alot more research. You are too young to be thinking about making such a major life changing move. Also, you do realize that you being a white male will be in the minority here in hawaii, and that you will most likely encounter the same attitudes that you seem to display toward the hispanics in CA. So, the shoe may be on the other foot so to speak. With the planning you are describing and at such a young age you wont last long here. I could be wrong but do read all the replies you will get on this and take them to heart. Living here is not like vacationing here. I am a white male with a few more years under my belt as for my self I wouldnt want to live any place else. But, the reasons and logic for moving here that you give us are not very practicle or thought out. Just my opinion.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 PM

15 posts, read 34,569 times
Well thank you for your opinion and excuse me for being a little racist but where I live its about 70 to 80 percent hispansics and ?et me tell you they have a bad attitude to anyone. I would actually want to be a minority in an asian populated area. The Hispanics here aren't educated in anyway and now its just westside vs eastside in Santa Barbara.

Also to anyone that thinks I am just an average kid that doesn't know what im talking about believe me I'm that 1%. I am very mature for my age because at least I know what I'm talking about. I know hawaii's not some big vacation. I actually want to be down at the bottom working all day because hawaii isn't just everyone relaxes on hammocks and surf all day. I just want to live somewhere nice...

Also sorry for that speech I'm not implying it at you but just a little more info on what i know.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Are your parents going to be helping you with $$$? If so, then go for it! You are young and don't have a family. Now(after you graduate) is the time to do something wild and crazy! Just be smart, safe and avoid trouble because trouble is everywhere, even in Hawaii.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:24 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
There is one thing I want to add so that I am not misunderstood. If your parents are helping out with the $$$, I am not suggesting that you be wasteful. Please try to make the most of the gift you are given, learn as much as you can and try to make a good solid future for yourself.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:31 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,570 times
GO for it!
Costs plenty to be in college in Hawaii as a "non-resident"

Sounds fun, which Island were you thinking??

Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 AM

501 posts, read 1,192,056 times
I agree with Kailani....GO for it!
Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
go for it, the best time to do things is when you are young. just don't burn any bridges

Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglenachos View Post
Ok, I'm a first time poster but long time reader and i just need some facts or direction on what I should do in life so hear me out.

I'm a sixteen year old white male living in Santa Barbara, California and I hate it here. I just am so sick of California because its sooo overated and just makes me sick now. My life here is stale and I need to get out. Yes I know Santa Barbara is beautiful but I've been here a while and in California my whole life and nothing seems thrilling or special anymore. I have no problems with family and they are supportive on my goals. What I have been thinking of doing for a year now is to move to hawaii when graduate high school. I can go to a community college in oahu and work at a hotel or anywhere while I school there. I live right next to Santa Barbara City College which is a great community college but I am counting the days when I can move to tropics and just start a new life.

I have been to Hawaii 4 times but not oahu and I know about how expensive it is but I know I can handle it. Santa Barbara is in the top ten expensive cities right next to Honolulu so I'm fine with it. California is full of hispanics and in my opinion it is ruining our economy which is another reasone why I need to get out. If you want to know one of my dreams in life is to move to the tropics. All I do at school or home is go on internet and look up tropical locations and anything about it. I know I can survive in the economy but I would like feedback from others.

Basically in conclusion, I want to move to hawaii from california at 18. Do you think I can do it and do you have any advice on it???
This troll again? A racist spoiled brat.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,047 times
I too thought this had a ring of familularity to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: