Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 AM

287 posts, read 1,372,028 times

Advertisements

For all of you who want to move to Hawaii and are thinking about moving your family here, I thought this might provide you some additional thought regarding living in Waikiki.

Before I moved to Hawaii 15 years ago, I came to visit on a regular basis some 15 times over a period of 8 years. I stayed, like every other tourist in Waikiki and thought if I ever moved to Hawaii for good that I would end up somewhere else. Guess what....I have been living with my family in Waikiki since we got here and we love it! Now...I know living in Waikiki is not for everyone...so please before you jump all over me allow me to provide some thoughts.

Yes Waikiki is touristy..meaning big hotels, busy, loud, no parking, etc. etc. I live in the real world and I know first hand how annoying all of that is....but let me tell you what impresses me about Waikiki. Where else can you have a park setting like Kapiolani Park, a Zoo, the Waikiki Shell, aquarium, the beach, Diamond Head, community center, and my kids school within 500 yards of each other? What a play land for the kids!!!

If you like the diversity of people, the vastness of styles of food, wonderment in the eyes and gaze of new tourists to Hawaii....which serve as a constant reminder of why we came here in the first place....the feeling of happy people who are thankful to be here...then maybe Waikiki is for you.

Those are my experiences...I welcome the thoughts of those who live here so that we may provide a realistic story for those who might be considering moving here.

VanHa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
I have thoroughly enjoyed living in Waikiki for the past 2 years. It's true, there is so much to see and do...all just a short walk away. The fireworks for the Honolulu Festival last weekend were nothing short of breathtaking.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM

287 posts, read 1,372,028 times
Default Under the Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
I have thoroughly enjoyed living in Waikiki for the past 2 years. It's true, there is so much to see and do...all just a short walk away. The fireworks for the Honolulu Festival last weekend were nothing short of breathtaking.

Yes...I forgot to add the fireworks and the outdoor movie screen!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 PM

217 posts, read 640,441 times
Don't you have fireworks every Friday night in Waikiki too? I would love to live in Honolulu! City living AND the beach all in one tropical package!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,513 times
I loved living in Waikiki. All you have to do is go outside and there's entertainment everywhere. I loved the sunsets...beautiful. I live in Laie now; I moved because being from Kauai; well, I needed to get back to the country. And not one centipede in Waikiki! I never saw 1 and no roaches where I lived. Come to think of it, no bugs at all.

The sunsets and the zoo; my favorites.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:57 PM

8 posts, read 14,446 times
haha waiks living. the hustle and bustle is not for me. but folks there are pretty decent, many people are transplants so short term residents are welcome and less clique-ish overall, amenities are close by. Parts of waiks is pretty run down though.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
Yes, there are Fireworks every friday night at the Hilton. You can sit super close to where they go off (relative to fireworks shows on the mainland). If you sit that close bring ear plugs though...boom boom.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 PM

174 posts, read 349,222 times
We live about two miles mauka of Waikiki (Moiliili area) and love it (now that I have finally adjusted). The fireworks for the Honolulu Festival were awesome and Friday night fireworks are directly in front of us amidst the buildings. We can walk to Ala Moana, the beach or some of our other hangouts we enjoy. I work two miles from home and should walk to and from, however it is just as easy to catch a bus or carpool with my husband and son on their way to and from work (which is what I normally do). When I chose to go for a run I definitely have my options.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Yup, the "ki"s is a fun place to live. It's kinda hard to have a community there, though, since so many folks are there temporary and sifting through all of them for long term residents can be difficult. Lived there for well over a decade, but eventually it got too crowded and crazy so we've gone off to the slow lane on the Big Island. For anyone under thirty, Waikiki is a blast, especially at Halloween!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
For all of you who want to move to Hawaii and are thinking about moving your family here, I thought this might provide you some additional thought regarding living in Waikiki.

Before I moved to Hawaii 15 years ago, I came to visit on a regular basis some 15 times over a period of 8 years. I stayed, like every other tourist in Waikiki and thought if I ever moved to Hawaii for good that I would end up somewhere else. Guess what....I have been living with my family in Waikiki since we got here and we love it! Now...I know living in Waikiki is not for everyone...so please before you jump all over me allow me to provide some thoughts.

Yes Waikiki is touristy..meaning big hotels, busy, loud, no parking, etc. etc. I live in the real world and I know first hand how annoying all of that is....but let me tell you what impresses me about Waikiki. Where else can you have a park setting like Kapiolani Park, a Zoo, the Waikiki Shell, aquarium, the beach, Diamond Head, community center, and my kids school within 500 yards of each other? What a play land for the kids!!!

If you like the diversity of people, the vastness of styles of food, wonderment in the eyes and gaze of new tourists to Hawaii....which serve as a constant reminder of why we came here in the first place....the feeling of happy people who are thankful to be here...then maybe Waikiki is for you.

Those are my experiences...I welcome the thoughts of those who live here so that we may provide a realistic story for those who might be considering moving here.

VanHa
Interesting. I can certainly see some of the advantages to the location. What surprises me though, is there enough apartment space in Waikiki for a family?

From Oahu apartments I've looked at in general, it always seemed like you'd get a tiny small studio in Waikiki, or a 1 or 2 bedroom for the same price over by the University of Hawaii. With some kids, it seems like just a little more space makes a big difference.

Just speculating that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii