Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times

Advertisements

How important is gardening to folks already living in Hawaii and the folks who are planning on moving here? Is the year round growing season part of the reason folks live here and want to move here?

Of the folks who have moved here, have the challenges of Hawaii gardening been easily overcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
It is one of my favorite things about living here. I have grown green beans 6 weeks from plant to harvest. Have trouble with herbs and some other crops but they do better in containers where you can control the moisture level better. Plants that like to dry out between waterings don't seem to do well.

My raspberry plant is doing well by the way. It's about 2 or 3 feet tall.

In my 1/3 acre lot I have mac nut, 3 types of orange, lemon, 20 or 30 orchids, all kinds of different ornamental plants, bananas, Julie mango, young avocado tree, mint, pineapples, have had papayas, purple sweet potato to name a few.

And of course the 3 chickens for eggs and 1 duck as a pet.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 AM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
My efforts pale in comparison to those of KonaKat but I do enjoy the bit of gardening we do on our little suburban plot of land.
I do all my veggie/fruit gardening in containers, on a very small scale.
Fruit: one Meyer lemon, one Bearss lime (is that missing an "a" or does it have one "s" too many....), one variegated pink lemon, one calamansi, one dwarf pomegranate.
Veggies: six manoa lettuce going all the time (replaced as soon as picked), cherry tomatoes, eggplant, tuscan kale (love that non-stop producer), cucumbers, chives, green onions, basil, parsley, thyme, mint, rosemary, bay leaf. I have a "veggie table" that holds most of the pots---2X4's on cinder blocks.
Just for the fun of it, again in containers: orchids, dwarf singapore plumeria, plumeria pudica, canna, bromeliads, jade plants, desert rose plants, various succulents, hibiscus.
Planted in the ground: vinca, areca palm, dracaena, lantana, and more. Ti planted itself and now I have a lovely stand in the middle of my border garden and in a few other places. Someone told me this is a good sign, when Ti shows up unannounced. I hope so.
Things often crop up unannounced here. I have pulled up tomato seedlings and potted them and gotten wonderful results. I yanked a very pretty fern from the base of an areca, potted it, and now have a huge pot of the prettiest fern I've ever seen.
I've had some great successes and some awful flops.
But fun, nonetheless.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
I've got some Hawaiian chili peppers on my patio.....I use them for stripping paint off of old DeSotos. A few coffee trees, still keiki yet, and these ginormous anthurium jemanii, which, as far as I know, are already responsible for the disappearance of Harry, my pet cane spider, and Laurel and Hardy, two of my resident geckos who are always in pilikia me ka popoki.. If you would like some anthurium jemanii seed pods, email me and I'll gladly send you some.. Just be careful, I think these plants were extras on the filming of either 'The Day of the Triffids', or was it 'Little Shop of Horrors'?

FEEEEEDDD MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE,,,, gotta go

Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
I've always loved how lush and beautiful things are in Hawaii but, I was surprised to find that a friend of mine had a full grown magnolia tree on her property upcountry Maui.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I've got some Hawaiian chili peppers on my patio.....I use them for stripping paint off of old DeSotos. A few coffee trees, still keiki yet, and these ginormous anthurium jemanii, which, as far as I know, are already responsible for the disappearance of Harry, my pet cane spider, and Laurel and Hardy, two of my resident geckos who are always in pilikia me ka popoki.. If you would like some anthurium jemanii seed pods, email me and I'll gladly send you some.. Just be careful, I think these plants were extras on the filming of either 'The Day of the Triffids', or was it 'Little Shop of Horrors'?

FEEEEEDDD MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE,,,, gotta go
LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh JJ. I'll bet Mangodog would be interested in some seeds? These could be used to block the Stadium Effect, and handle stray dogs. Just a guess!
Mahalo
BTW: Your DeSotos, or the neighbors?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Those chili peppers are viciously hot and pernicious as well. I've given away several pepper trees and there always seems to be another one show up. Maybe it's time to start cooking with chili peppers. Just picking the buggah's is dangerous.

Are there very many varieties of kale, PaliPatty? My neighbor gave me a keiki kale but I left it in the sun and it dried out and died. Auwe! Everyone seems to have a kale and eat it, I can't think of any time I've eaten it so it hasn't been grown around here.

Hey, good on your raspberry KonaKat! Those things gets stickers! Tasty berries, but they gets stickers.

Currently, I think we have red romaine and green beans ready to eat in the garden. The tangerine tree has stopped, the grapefruit has started, though. The yacon has started growing like crazy lately, dunno what got into it.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
OH Pali I forgot the ginger and jalapeno pepper plants........................<snork>

Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 AM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Are there very many varieties of kale, PaliPatty? My neighbor gave me a keiki kale but I left it in the sun and it dried out and died. Auwe! Everyone seems to have a kale and eat it, I can't think of any time I've eaten it so it hasn't been grown around here.

The only kales I know of are curly kale and Tuscan (AKA dinosaur) kale. I think you can use them both in the same way. Really healthy stuff, supposedly.
I like to throw it in soup---sausage/white bean/kale is a favorite.
The Tuscan kale is definitely a "cut and come again" plant. It keeps sending out new leaves from the middle and turns into sort of a little tree. I have only one plant and every two weeks or so I get a nice little pile of kale. My plant did send out a little keiki plant about a month ago and I left it in the same big pot. Cute.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
We hope to move to Hawaii and gardening is important to us. My wife grows orchids indoors and went nuts at Kalopa State Park when she saw orchids planted at the base of the trees. Being able to grow lots of varieties of orchids outside is a plus.

Year round gardening is appealing and being able to get fresh papayas and avocados would be nice. I like the yellow hibiscus and tree ferns.

The only down side to gardening in Hawaii seems to be the coarse short grass and the constant mowing. I like to skip a week or two mowing and I don't think that is wise in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii