Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
You know ur from Hawaii'i living in the mainland when you walk up to a stranger to get to know someone new and say "Hey Aloha brah where u from and who u know?" And they look at you like your going to mug them or you want to beef! lol
That's because we hear on the news of many lowlifes stealing from tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
That's because we hear on the news of many lowlifes stealing from tourists.
You know your from Hawai'i living in the mainland when you ask for shave ice and they give you snow cones!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM

You know your from Hawai'i living in the mainland when a conversation about hawaiian music is brought up and a coworker goes "i love tiny bubbles form Don Ho" Don't you?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 12,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
You know your from Hawai'i living in the mainland when a conversation about hawaiian music is brought up and a coworker goes "i love tiny bubbles form Don Ho" Don't you?
but i do love tiny bubbles.......doesn't everyone

Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 AM

You Know Your From Hawai'i living in the mainland when you having a spam attack and out of habit walk into a McDs and they don't carry spam in there breakfest

Old 06-26-2013, 03:06 PM

189 posts, read 282,970 times
You know you're from Hawai'i when you can name Don Ho's daughter (the one who had a fledgling singing career here). Hoku!

Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 PM

You know your from Hawai'i and living on the mainland, when every one is getting away with and your not willing to step out of line yourself because you just dont know how long that pineapple/coconut line is.

If your a local or a transplant? U will know what i mean. No matter how sneaky we was or thought we could get away with something, our aunties, tutus or parents or,ohanas always found out, maybe not now but a few days later they knew. As i grew older i found out that it was not E.S.P or Pele as my auntie kept trying to sell me. But there is this amazing system in place in the islands that even the mafia would be envious of. It not really all that organized, there no dues, no meetings to attend or fees to pay.

This system is simple! Everyone knows EVERYONE! and if they did not know you first hand, its a promise that they know someone who knows someone that knows someone in your ohana or area. No wonder as kids we feared getting out of line with our aunties or tutus etc. Parents had it made there and had god like powers. It didnt matter if you lived on the eastside or westside or leeward or windward side, haole, happa, kanaka they knew. And the only reason it took a few days or more for your auntie or tutu to find out, is because someone had to call someone, to call someone else who knows someone else who had to call someone who knows your name and who you are lol.

Uncles etc can be fearsome in the ohana too, but my exp is it was my auntie that administered the punishment and uncle was there to play goalie, when i tried to runaway from aunties switch or uncles belt she was caring it was my uncles job to deflect me back to my auntie so she could get her lickins in lol.

And my auntie was the most kind loving, caring person........Intel you made her mad!!! Most of you guys from Hawai'i know and have an older generation auntie prob like mine? The one who you had no ideal they spoke so many different langs....until you pissed her off. My Auntie it was English, pidgin, togalag, o'ielo Hawai'ian and some really old Hawaiian god and goddess curses in between. Oh and after the lickins and the yelling stopped, was when the worst punishment happened, Even uncle would leave to go watch t.v in the garage. I called this time the "stink eye" time. where auntie is silent for a few hrs or the rest of the night except she would give the eye and once in awhile sware under her breath. This was the punishment for making her angry. and you know not to back talk or say anything except yes mam ihe rest of the night. Even if she is clearly wrong.

She passed away awhile ago but i still miss her.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
When you call them slippahs not flip flops....

Old 06-28-2013, 04:01 PM

160 posts, read 287,812 times
When your mom cooks you up hot dogs for breakfast and they're cut diagonally...

"What - no shoyu and sugar paste?"

Old 06-29-2013, 01:06 AM

You know your from Hawai"i and living on the mainland when this happens. (credit goes to open D for turning me onto this)

Hawaiian Pidgin English | Siri vs Hawaiian Pidgin - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii