Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:32 AM

8 posts, read 24,569 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am originally from Martinique, a French island in the Caribbean. I'm wondering if there is anyone on this forum who's been to both areas (any of the Caribbean islands AND Hawaii) and who could offer a comparison in terms of the islands, the landscape, etc.

I've watched the Lost series, Jurassic Park etc. which were all shot in Hawaii and it looks like heaven on screen, a lot more beautiful than the West Indies. Yet I have heard a few people say that Hawaii is is no way more beautiful than the West Indies and that the main difference is in the people who inhabit each of those islands.
My guess would be the same, since all smaller islands in the Caribbean are pretty much similar (I'm not talking about Cuba or Puerto Rico), the only thing that changes is who lives on them.

What are your thoughts on this?

I'd love to go back and settle in Martinique where I grew up, but the crime rate, violence, drug trafficking issue, racism and other social issues have led me to consider Hawaii instead (I am a dual French/US national).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:21 AM

569 posts, read 780,395 times
I've been to Jamaica twice. The biggest difference, assuming you're not on a resort, is that Jamaica felt a lot more like a 3rd world country...and a lot less safe. (A good friend of mine is from there and said "You left the resort?!") One of the things many people like about Hawaii is that it feels tropical/exotic, but is still part of the U.S. and has the benefits that go with that.

Hawaii is very beautiful, but keep in mind that the movies show you only tiny bits of the island. In real life, the landscape can vary quite a bit. It's not all jungles, waterfalls, volcanos and beaches everywhere you look. A lot of the land is dry and without much vegetation and there are many spots where the ocean is perhaps visible, but quite a drive away.

Definitely do some research, pick an island or two to visit and see for yourself before deciding to move to Hawaii.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:47 PM

Thank you!
So would you say that Jamaica in terms of the nature and landscape is greener and more lush than Hawaii?
I definitely have to visit

Old 12-03-2014, 03:17 PM

569 posts, read 780,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interprete View Post
Thank you!
So would you say that Jamaica in terms of the nature and landscape is greener and more lush than Hawaii?
I definitely have to visit
I think it really depends on which parts of which islands you go to. For example, Kauai is overall very wet and very green. My experience with the other islands I've been to is that they have lush green areas...and more arid areas. I'm not an expert in this stuff, but it seems to have to do with which parts of the islands catch the brunt of incoming storms.

On my two times to Jamaica, it didn't strike me as being more lush and green than to Hawaii. It did seem to be more humid, though.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:25 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
Cadillac vs. Chevrolet

Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
The Caribbean chain of islands is more diversified by nature, politics, races, religion, language, wealth, etc than the Hawaiian chain of islands. So the comparison is therefore a bit difficult to make.

I have been to many Caribbean islands in my life professionally and as a tourist, but they also undergo constant changes. I.e. the effects of Cuba opening up to unrestricted US tourists and investors would have major implications to tourism & the economies of all other islands.

The Canary Islands are more easy to compare to Hawaii, especially as you hold French/EU papers as well and could move there.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 AM

611 posts, read 1,456,385 times
I live in the U.S. Virgin Islands, which also has a lot of the same benefits as stateside living (like Hawaii) We have a lot of people who bounce back and forth between here and Hawaii. A woman I spoke to a few months ago who just came back said she preferred the VI to HI simply based on the "type" of mainlander's that we get here vs. the mainlander's that go to Hawaii.
She said that the Hawaiian Islands are more beautiful, but the waters of the Caribbean are warmer and snorkeling is better here.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM

Thank you!!!

Duttygal your comparison is very interesting. The Virgin Islands are pretty close to where I grew up (Martinique), does it have fewer drugs/crime/violence issues? I'm asking because that's the one huge thing that stopped me from settling in Martinique again... You just can't feel safe in Martinique anymore. One of my relative got shot to death by burglars for example, and that's just the latest 'crisis'. Another one caused island-wide uproar among the black majority for shooting an armed burglar in another instance. Being white and well-off is the best way to run into trouble there.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:16 AM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
You want have to fear much gun violence in Hawaii. Or racially motivated violence against whites. Our police department makes it very difficult to get hand gun permits. This stops the flow of them to our islands and reduces their usage. The Caribbean islands are drug traffic routes and small boats & planes bring contraband everywhere.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,152 times
Hawaii vs Caribbean
100 per I will choose Hawaii
Beach in Hawaii very beautifull
Speacial bikini ,sexy girl more than carribean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: