Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,450 times

Advertisements

We're actually running away from Portland, Oregon. Currently in Colorado. Our options are Colorado, Oregon, Wyoming, South Alaska or Hawaii -- and Hawaii is the only state with no inlaws. lol

We have 2 young children and are going to be looking for a good place to settle down and raise kids. We're lower middle class, so we don't have tons of money, and we would be renting to start off.

So, we're just looking for the best place for us!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like the Hawaiian islands have a great diversity as far as neighborhoods/social climates go, is there a place to do more research on what's currently happening there? Is there a broad economic range as well, or are things universally expensive? What is vog? Are there many rentals available, or is there a shortage of housing?

Aloha
Blueberryskies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,126 times
Most definitely the best bet for cheap housing is the SE part of the Big Island (Puna district, south of Hilo). Really the last 'affordable' housing market in all of Hawaii.

Vog is volcanic fog basically. Most of it stays on the Kona (leeward/dry/west) side of the big island. From time to time it hits the Hilo side I believe. As far as the east side of the Big Island, plenty of rentals. You can check out the Hawaii tribune herald and west hawaii daily, or craigslist. Many dozens if not hundreds of houses for rent, many have been there for months. Few full 3bed 2bath houses for around 800...quite a bit more for 900 or so and many many for around 1000-1200 a month and beyond. Though it is a commute to town.

Hawaii has the lowest unemployment rate in the nation, but I looked at some numbers and Hilo has something like 11% unemployment. So that's something to think about.

As for shortage of housing. I don't believe there is at all. Just a shortage of affordable housing.

And yep that's all I can answer. Hopefully others chime in. (and correct me if needed)

What are your current professions by the way?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 AM

2 posts, read 8,450 times
Oh, vog, lol. That makes sense, thanks for all your help. My H is self-employed, so employment isn't an issue, luckily. He does computer work. We actually got the idea for Hawaii from my dad who was like, hey -- you don't need a job, you could go anywhere, why not HI??

There are definitely a lot of pluses to the area. We've looked around, and just about everywhere you'd want to live in America is too crowded, too expensive and so on.

We like so many aspects of what HI has to offer, but finding the right neighborhood is something we're committed to.

I'd always heard that Maui was the best place to live, so I'm surprised to hear you mention the main island. On another thread someone said that they would no longer recommend Maui. I'm so confused!

Speaking of Maui, does anyone know anything about Haiku?? -- it seems to have pretty good rental rates.

I guess we just like more of the laid back small town kind of thing compared to the big city. Is that what Hilo is like? Although 11% unemployment -- that's really high, isn't it?!?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberryskies View Post
Oh, vog, lol. That makes sense, thanks for all your help. My H is self-employed, so employment isn't an issue, luckily. He does computer work. We actually got the idea for Hawaii from my dad who was like, hey -- you don't need a job, you could go anywhere, why not HI??

There are definitely a lot of pluses to the area. We've looked around, and just about everywhere you'd want to live in America is too crowded, too expensive and so on.

We like so many aspects of what HI has to offer, but finding the right neighborhood is something we're committed to.

I'd always heard that Maui was the best place to live, so I'm surprised to hear you mention the main island. On another thread someone said that they would no longer recommend Maui. I'm so confused!

Speaking of Maui, does anyone know anything about Haiku?? -- it seems to have pretty good rental rates.

I guess we just like more of the laid back small town kind of thing compared to the big city. Is that what Hilo is like? Although 11% unemployment -- that's really high, isn't it?!?
Maui is a nice place but I certainly wouldn't consider it affordable. Hilo is a quiet laid back 24/7 basically. Whole east side is as far as I've ever seen. Difference is the big island is the youngest of the main hawaiian islands, so it doesn't look like what you'd see in a travel brochure. Aren't any giant white sand beaches with crystal clear water with palm trees around Hilo (as far as I know). A lot of it is very rural area type rain forest. And yes 11% or the like is quite high, but if your spouse can work home all the better.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,127 times
11% unemployment. Is that because there is a lack of jobs or a lack on ambition? We have heard that many locals simply choose not to work. We have also heard that it's hard to get a full days work out of a laborer. That plumbers etc show up when they want and take forever to get anything done. Fact or fiction??? We are also looking into moving to Hilo. Perhaps purchasing several condo's for family & friends vacation or retirement. Is Hilo the place? Or home to too many 'ICE' users & criminals? We live in an area with a very low crime rate. We don't want to get involved with negativity. Just want a live place to hang out for 6 months of the year when it's cold in Idaho.
Lakelife

Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
Hi all,

Hilo is accurately described as having a small town feel, but there is a tremendous amount of diversity within the community. Hawaii does attract its share of dreamers and the "hippie-type" folks who prefer to live off the land or off-grid, but there is also an average working community here comparable to any average town on the mainland.

There are some surfers who will sometimes be pulled to the ocean on days when the waves are good and they will start work a little late or leave a little early, but, generally, only if their jobs allow that kind of flexibility. (I worked briefly with a teacher who would surf in the morning, come in to school just before students arrived, teach til 3 or 4 then head back to the ocean or to his second job as a surf-board shaper.)

The main thing to remember if you are starting a property search here is that it is important to get out on the ground and see what area suits your personality and lifestyle. There is such a broad scope of options that it is nearly impossible to describe them in a post. (Some possibilities: old plantation village v/s new, built-out subdivision v/s "underdeveloped" subdivision with plenty of vacant lots. Or: neighborhoods with CC&Rs v/s no CC&Rs. Or: rain forest v/s lava field v/s deep soil of the Hamakua coast....the list goes on and on!!)

(I'm happy to try answer any questions you have or provide you with more information that may be helpful as you research the area. You can DM (direct message) by clicking on my screen name at the top of this post. You can also use the search function at the top of the page to look for old posts using keywords that might direct you to past discussions of the same questions you may have.)

With aloha,

Cynthia

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 01-23-2008 at 11:40 PM..

Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 AM

849 posts, read 3,529,013 times
Default just more people who

were eligible for unemployment compensation. that's where they get the numbers. If you don't collect, you're not in the stats. so the question to ask is why are more people eligible there? It pretty much has to be the employers fault that you're not working like a layoff. You don't collect for getting fired in an at will state and you certainly don't collect for quitting. So the numbers are actually probably higher but it doesn't = laziness. Sometimes firing can be subjective too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelife View Post
11% unemployment. Is that because there is a lack of jobs or a lack on ambition? We have heard that many locals simply choose not to work. We have also heard that it's hard to get a full days work out of a laborer. That plumbers etc show up when they want and take forever to get anything done. Fact or fiction??? We are also looking into moving to Hilo. Perhaps purchasing several condo's for family & friends vacation or retirement. Is Hilo the place? Or home to too many 'ICE' users & criminals? We live in an area with a very low crime rate. We don't want to get involved with negativity. Just want a live place to hang out for 6 months of the year when it's cold in Idaho.
Lakelife

Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 AM

216 posts, read 1,185,821 times

Just to make sure you are not confused, Oahu is the busiest island and the island where the state capital, Honolulu, is. The Big Island, or the island of Hawaii, is the largest island but certainly not the main one.

My husband and I have lived on the island of Hawaii for 17 years. My children were born here, and we have had a wonderful life. The key to success here, I believe, is to tread softly, be humble, be willing to work hard at any and all hours, and give thanks every day for the gift of living in this paradise. Take nothing for granted.

Well wishes!

Last edited by cynthia007; 01-27-2008 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM
cwm

27 posts, read 149,208 times
Default Affordable Hilo

Hilo and the Puna area is the most affordable areas in all of Hawaii. If you are looking for an awesomely beautiful, diverse, and laid back place to live, Hilo is it. I agree with cynthia007 about having the best results here witha thankful attitude and willingness to tread softly. Living in Hilo, Hawaii Home Page
chris

Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM

10 posts, read 34,026 times
I lived in Durango 10 years ago. I don't like the cold and snow. moved South to AZ.We love Hawaii I lived here as a youth always wanted to live here permanently. Here we are. over built on rentals, lo cost and in abundance. This is a funny place for selecting a place to live. Move to Hilo, too hot and humid
move too high up the hill and too cold at night. Keaau just right, HPP. Kurtistown. Food costly gasoline and electricity will knock your socks off. I like the natives, A lot of old hippies, I don't know why there is such a glut of old hippies as the State of Hawaii doesn't hand out money. Don't even think you're coming here and drawing unemployment ins. not going to happen. I'm ignorant as to the good schools here. Best, Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii