Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:59 AM

206 posts, read 466,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemom2014 View Post
Hi All,

We are considering a move to Hawaii in the hopes that it will improve my health. I suffer from chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia/chemical sensitivity, etc, etc. I've been told numerous times by both doctors and others who are ill that there is a high percentage of people with my issues who do much better in Hawaii.
I have the health issues you listed, but I only got really sick after I moved to Hawaii island. The amount of pesticides/herbicides used here is much greater then on the mainland, both agriculturally, on roadsides, and now the with the dengue fever outbreak, widespread pesticide spraying is happening at beaches, parks, and other public places (on the big island). It's much more expensive/difficult to eat exclusively organic food here then in for instance Oregon and California, and gmos are very common. Much of the land and even rainwater has historical contamination with atrazine and arsenic.

Propane is ubiquitous, for hot water and cooking particularly if you wind at up at an 'off the grid' property. There are definitely places with poor cell-phone reception and no available wifi. The vog here is unbearable, and was one of the final triggers for my becoming seriously ill. You don't mention in your list mold--which is a common trigger for people with our illness, and will affect most buildings on the wet sides/areas of the islands. Some people with our health conditions have done well here, living in for instance a dry area that gets trade winds directly off the ocean, but more people have not. Often the deciding factor has been money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 07:37 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Bear in mind that the BI is larger than all the other islands combined. The experiences of one person is not necessarily indicative for others. If you want pesticide/herbicide exposure, try living near the sugar cane fields of Maui or the Monsanto farms of Kauai.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:30 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Where are you coming from? I know of a family whose son suffers from the same sensitivities to EMF's, along with some other issues, and they moved to the San Juan Islands of Washington state.

In Hawaii, air quality would be best on a windward side, near the ocean, away from farms using chemicals.

For the Big Island, I'd suggest looking around the Honokaa area.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:28 AM

430 posts, read 639,893 times
People of the hippie subculture in Hawaii are always complaining about chemicals and EMF... I'm surprised that the doctor would say they do well. Google "Monsanto Hawaii" and "Military Hawaii" -- Monsanto does a lot of seed growing in the islands and the military has huge radar domes everywhere on Oahu. Radar is electromagnetic radiation

You'd be better off in a remote place on the mainland, especially out West

Old 03-02-2016, 05:49 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
OP started this thread about a year ago and hasn't been back. She also started a thread about moving to Florida about the same time, with the same concerns. Maybe we can get an update from her.

Rainbow Warrior or Gator?

Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Before you get any further, research "vog", the toxic emissions(mainly sulfur dioxide) from the volcano. Although the volcano is located on the Big Island, affects of the vog can be felt as far away as Oahu. I have a friend here on the Big Island who suffers from fibromyalgia, and she has to stay inside on many days when the vog levels are high.
here is some useful information on vog... the strange part about it is when the weather people say or call for it. Its not relevant to this site.

On Oahu we have haze on trade wind days.. thats not normal and this model shows no vog.

Vog Measurement and Prediction (VMAP) | Home

Old 03-07-2016, 11:43 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,112,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemom2014 View Post
Hi All,

I am very sensitive to most chemicals and even EMF, which is from cell phone towers, radio towers, even being around a lot of cell phones, etc.
"EMF Sensitivity" is a popular euphemism for being a nervous wreck and there sure is a lot of that going around these days.

EMF doesn't actually make anyone sick....if it did, no one would be going to the beach here!

George Beard explained it all in his cogent, surprisingly presaging [and very old] medical books. Here's one: https://archive.org/stream/practical...ge/n5/mode/2up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii