Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:08 PM

8 posts, read 11,536 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Just got a job offer in Oahu for $40K/Yr. I'm a single/childless 27 year old male, just graduated with a post-graduate degree from a school in the South. What can I expect from in Hawaii? I've never been, but I love the outdoors, nightlife, learning other cultures, and I enjoy dating. Can someone with my means live without struggling on Oahu? I plan to rent in City, or at least close in Salt Lake for example. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Do you have a tent?

Dating and nightlife are pretty much out of the question under $20/hr.

Good luck.

Please do tell, what professional job only pays $40K on Oahu?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Do you have a tent?

Dating and nightlife are pretty much out of the question under $20/hr.

Good luck.
Ha. I'm actually a fan of your posts, I lurk here often and you usually make laugh. Thanks for the reply man.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:25 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Well, you've got about $2,800 a month to work with. Figure about $1,500 of it for rent. That leaves $1,300 or so. Take out for cellphone so $1,200 a month. So, you have about $300 a week for groceries and incidentals. For dating you'll have to get creative and pack a picnic to the beach instead of going out bar hopping.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, you've got about $2,800 a month to work with. Figure about $1,500 of it for rent. That leaves $1,300 or so. Take out for cellphone so $1,200 a month. So, you have about $300 a week for groceries and incidentals. For dating you'll have to get creative and pack a picnic to the beach instead of going out bar hopping.
Any baskets you recommend?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Fortunately, there are a lot of things to do on Oahu that aren't expensive as long as you stay away from the bar scene. There's hiking, loads of beaches, museums (small fee), the zoo (small fee) and aquarium (small fee), the mythical walking along the beach in the evening (I never see anyone doing that), etc. You could possibly share a house with someone and maybe get the monthly rent down a little. And living close enough to work to walk or take the bus to work and live within walking distance to the beach. I'd skip owning a car and in Honolulu, that's not so uncommon that it would make much of a difference to dating. The nice thing with a picnic basket is it's cheaper than eating out yet still terribly romantic.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:28 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
I used the bus the first four years i lived here while at Pearl harbor, before i owned a car. Back than the bus fare was .75 cents one way. Pretty good at the time. Now One-Way Fare is: $2.50 Here is more information and good link:

Monthly Pass: $60.00
Unlimited usage for regular and Express! service during the calendar month purchased.
Monthly Pass Sales Locations:
TheBus Pass Office
Foodland Stores (Oahu)
7-Eleven Stores
Satellite City Hall
UH Manoa - Campus Center
Hawaii Pacific University Book Store
Chit Chat Store - Bishop Square
Times Supermarket
Annual Pass: $660.00
TheBus - Fares & Passes

Best of luck.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:09 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWalker View Post
Hello all,

Just got a job offer in Oahu for $40K/Yr. I'm a single/childless 27 year old male, just graduated with a post-graduate degree from a school in the South. What can I expect from in Hawaii? I've never been, but I love the outdoors, nightlife, learning other cultures, and I enjoy dating. Can someone with my means live without struggling on Oahu? I plan to rent in City, or at least close in Salt Lake for example. Thanks in advance.
$40K for a healthy young single guy with no dependents CAN be enough to live happily on Oahu.

how close is your job to your preferred home location
do you need a car. If so are you OK driving an older smaller car
do you mind taking public transportation
do you need air conditioning to stay sane in 82 degree evening temps
do you plan to have kids anytime soon and anywhere near the salary that you make now
do you like to eat out
do you like to go to bars and clubs
what kind of place to rent do you expect for $1,400/mo (because that is all you can afford on your salary)
do you depend on acquiring material things to impress women
do you want to own a home one day and what do you expect to pay

Old 07-07-2015, 10:19 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/5105639852.html
Save yourself $500-600 a month. Go for small studio til you know the lay of the land. Skip the car and rent a wreck a couple times a month for shopping and sightseeing. Bus is good the rest of the time.

Last edited by honobob; 07-07-2015 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
$40K for a healthy young single guy with no dependents CAN be enough to live happily on Oahu.

how close is your job to your preferred home location
do you need a car. If so are you OK driving an older smaller car
do you mind taking public transportation
do you need air conditioning to stay sane in 82 degree evening temps
do you plan to have kids anytime soon and anywhere near the salary that you make now
do you like to eat out
do you like to go to bars and clubs
what kind of place to rent do you expect for $1,400/mo (because that is all you can afford on your salary)
do you depend on acquiring material things to impress women
do you want to own a home one day and what do you expect to pay
1. Job is near Pearl Harbor. I want to live in Honolulu (Kaka'Ako, McCully-Moiliili, Kalahi-Palama is where I've been looking.)

2. Don't "need" a car if the bus can take me to work and the bank, grocery, airport.

3. Love public transportation, especially while trying to learn the place

4. Air conditioning at night affects my allergies, so no. Also, I've spent a great deal of time I'm the much-hotter South.

5. No kids soon (at least 3-6 years, want to be making at least 65K before kids are considered)

6. I cook often, I'd say 70-30 cooking to eating out

7. Love bars for hookups, but love to meet girls for more than that during the day at random places

8. $1400 is fine, although I was actually looking for rent no higher than $1200

9. Nice clothes, a clean apartment, steady job, and my good looks are all I need.

10. I do, and I know Hawaii's market is among the priciest. Planned on saving out fo every check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: