Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times

Advertisements

There are no "official languages " in California. Ballot languages vary according to the the community and use up to 17 different languages, including Croatian. More to the point these people are seriously dysfunctional and should get mental heath treatment/counseling before attempting any move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 01:59 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
ok, i will have my girlfriend read this thread and see what her decision is.
I don't think that's gonna fix the money issue.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:41 PM

927 posts, read 758,657 times
Is this thread still going on? Here's an idea, move to California first. There's lots of people who just got back from trying to live in Hawaii and you can talk to them. Normally I'd say don't move to California, its too expensive. But you're going to find a lot of people there from Hawaii and you won't in Orlando. Or 'Las Vegas, the ninth island of Hawaii ' (why nine? o m k bi mo thats 5. ni and kah don't count). Las Vegas is their idea of a vacation.
Btw, The food is really bad in Hawaii, pork fat and starch. I was cooking a cauliflower and all my friends were aghast. Jack in the Box is locals, and Mcd is Japanese tourists. And the freakin ABC stores.

article:
Hawaiians have long been an acknowledged presence in Las Vegas, yet while the explosion of other ethnicities (if “Hawaiian” should be considered such) in the Valley is regularly noted, the size and influence of the Hawaiian population has been radically overlooked.
“You know they call it ‘the ninth island?’” asks Maile Bennett, an Oahu native now serving at Michel Richard’s Central inside Caesars Palace. “There’s definitely a reason for that.”
The menus might have sushi alongside staples like oxtail soup, kalua pork and macaroni salad.
“It is [the ninth island],” says construction contractor Milton Vickers, who moved here from Oahu 15 years ago. “The only thing we miss here is the ocean, surfing, fishing.”
“Even though it’s far away from home and nothing’s similar in the environment,” Bennett says, “it feels like home because of the people.”
Solid numbers aren’t easy to come by, but the 2010 Census counted about 16,300 Nevada residents of Hawaiian or Pacific Islander descent, the overwhelming majority of whom live in Clark County.
“See how many cars you’re following on the 15 or 215 that have a Hawaiian island sticker on the back window,” says former Big Islander Bruce Goold. “I‘ve noticed a lot more people moving here lately, looking for a cheaper way of life.”
Keep in mind, the entire permanent population of the state of Hawaii is less than 1.3 million, according to the 2010 Census—less than that of Clark County alone. Yet, according to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, in 2010, there were approximately 7,000 airline seats flying from Hawaii to McCarran International Airport every week, bringing 260,000 visitors from Honolulu to the desert.
So, what are all these Pacific Islanders doing in the Mojave desert? Well, they’re serving food, certainly. Immigrant populations typically make their mark first with restaurants,
Hawaii-based ABC convenience stores have a whopping eight locations in Las Vegas—their only mainland presence.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:38 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Is this thread still going on? Here's an idea, move to California first. There's lots of people who just got back from trying to live in Hawaii and you can talk to them. Normally I'd say don't move to California, its too expensive. But you're going to find a lot of people there from Hawaii and you won't in Orlando. Or 'Las Vegas, the ninth island of Hawaii ' (why nine? o m k bi mo thats 5. ni and kah don't count). Las Vegas is their idea of a vacation.
Btw, The food is really bad in Hawaii, pork fat and starch. I was cooking a cauliflower and all my friends were aghast. Jack in the Box is locals, and Mcd is Japanese tourists. And the freakin ABC stores.

article:
Hawaiians have long been an acknowledged presence in Las Vegas, yet while the explosion of other ethnicities (if “Hawaiian” should be considered such) in the Valley is regularly noted, the size and influence of the Hawaiian population has been radically overlooked.
“You know they call it ‘the ninth island?’” asks Maile Bennett, an Oahu native now serving at Michel Richard’s Central inside Caesars Palace. “There’s definitely a reason for that.”
The menus might have sushi alongside staples like oxtail soup, kalua pork and macaroni salad.
“It is [the ninth island],” says construction contractor Milton Vickers, who moved here from Oahu 15 years ago. “The only thing we miss here is the ocean, surfing, fishing.”
“Even though it’s far away from home and nothing’s similar in the environment,” Bennett says, “it feels like home because of the people.”
Solid numbers aren’t easy to come by, but the 2010 Census counted about 16,300 Nevada residents of Hawaiian or Pacific Islander descent, the overwhelming majority of whom live in Clark County.
“See how many cars you’re following on the 15 or 215 that have a Hawaiian island sticker on the back window,” says former Big Islander Bruce Goold. “I‘ve noticed a lot more people moving here lately, looking for a cheaper way of life.”
Keep in mind, the entire permanent population of the state of Hawaii is less than 1.3 million, according to the 2010 Census—less than that of Clark County alone. Yet, according to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, in 2010, there were approximately 7,000 airline seats flying from Hawaii to McCarran International Airport every week, bringing 260,000 visitors from Honolulu to the desert.
So, what are all these Pacific Islanders doing in the Mojave desert? Well, they’re serving food, certainly. Immigrant populations typically make their mark first with restaurants,
Hawaii-based ABC convenience stores have a whopping eight locations in Las Vegas—their only mainland presence.
But the OP is ill-prepared to move anywhere. $3,500 to move with????

Old 12-20-2015, 07:39 PM

927 posts, read 758,657 times
I know. I'm saying that if he's going to pursue this foolishness he should go to Las Vegas first. There's plenty of Hawaiians there to bad mouth it. Then he won't be in a desperate situation over on an island.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:05 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Big deal. There were more than that just in the lobby of my Waikiki hotel!

Old 12-22-2015, 12:51 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Like a Starbucks on every corner?

Old 12-22-2015, 01:57 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
^ I've never met anyone who makes more than $12/hour in Orlando. And the construction jobs all go to the Spanish here now.

You need to associate with a better class of people. $12 an hour are wages in fast food, theme park ride attendants, hotel housekeepers. How do you think people in Orlando afford houses, cars, etc? It aint on $12 an hour.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:23 PM

112 posts, read 103,404 times
I dont think putting people down about their educational status or lifestyle is kind.
Back to the question:
MOVE if YOU feel you want to.
I could never understand ANYONE who comes into a forum and asks others if they should move...
ONLY you can make that decision.
Also you and your gf have to be on the same page, or you may fight it out and have more problems.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:38 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciChoi View Post
I dont think putting people down about their educational status or lifestyle is kind.
Back to the question:
MOVE if YOU feel you want to.
I could never understand ANYONE who comes into a forum and asks others if they should move...
ONLY you can make that decision.
Also you and your gf have to be on the same page, or you may fight it out and have more problems.
I would guess that you don't live in Hawaii.

The OP came to this forum asking questions about moving to Hawaii. He is unhappy with his current lifestyle and the crime-ridden area where he lives in Orlando. We have been trying to explain to him that Hawaii is not the best choice for him, based on his income level (which will be lower in Hawaii) and cost of living (which will be much higher in Hawaii).

We hear of so many people who want to move here based on a dream. The realities are pretty harsh. That's why we don't tell people to "move if you want to", because nine times out of ten it's a recipe for failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii