Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 04:07 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times

Advertisements

I read recently that some people have been advertising vacation "camping sites" for rent on either Airbnb or perhaps Craigslist. They simply keep a tent set up at a public beach area, rent it to tourists over the internet. Meet them at the beach when they arrive and show them the tent.

This needs to be stopped before it starts spreading and gets out of control also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 04:20 PM

58 posts, read 46,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Who led you to believe there was ever enforcement?

It has gotten out of control due to: Record tourism. Highly Profitable with little oversight.

People got tired living next to tourists with a revolving door of people and got fed up and demanded permits be capped. People don't want to buy a house in Hawaii Kai and have tourists for neighbors.
You think I'm disagreeing with you? No one likes a loud neighbor. That's just common. But why is it only an issue or we can only get results when it's communities like Hawai'i kai or other high end communities having issues with it?.This has been going on for decades in other lower income communities in Oahu. There was a time when no one heard of short term vacation rentals even in Waikiki. Why? Because there was regulations against it and it was enforced.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalei View Post
But why is it only an issue or we can only get results when it's communities like Hawai'i kai or other high end communities having issues with it?.This has been going on for decades in other lower income communities in Oahu. There was a time when no one heard of short term vacation rentals even in Waikiki.
Who said it is only a problem only in high end communities. I think the North Shore and the entire coastline of Oahu would disagree.

Yes, there was a time when nobody heard of vacation rentals - there was also a time nobody used the internet- how do you think someone in Kansas would book a vacation rental without the internet?

Old 04-19-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Who said it is only a problem only in high end communities. I think the North Shore and the entire coastline of Oahu would disagree.

Yes, there was a time when nobody heard of vacation rentals - there was also a time nobody used the internet- how do you think someone in Kansas would book a vacation rental without the internet?
Sir I know my writing isn't the greatest but could you please read my post entirely before you respond. I'm agreeing with you. No where did I say it was just a high income community issue. What I said was, why is it that we only get results or action when upper income communities complain and it becomes an issue for them? The Airbnb issue has been a problem for other communities for years now.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:31 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
Quote:
There was a time when no one heard of short term vacation rentals even in Waikiki. Why? Because there was regulations against it and it was enforced.
Nobody heard of vacation rentals back in the day because what would you do to advertise it? Stick a big sign in your yard or hang it from your lanai railing - "VACATION RENTAL AVAILABLE HERE, CALL 888-8888 FOR INFORMATION"?

Or maybe place a daily-rate ad for your illegal rental in the Honolulu Advertiser for $100?

Then meet potential tenants (that never saw the place in person or knows how legit anything the owner is purporting about the unit) willing to fork over cash or a check that can bounce?

The internet, a cashless and partially insured/protected monetary system, a peer to peer-based review system and its lending to the "sharing economy" has allowed vacation rentals to flourish and explode to levels nobody would have thought possible. Any other "reason" for the illegal vacation rental explosion is purely white noise.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Nobody heard of vacation rentals back in the day because what would you do to advertise it? Stick a big sign in your yard or hang it from your lanai railing - "VACATION RENTAL AVAILABLE HERE, CALL 888-8888 FOR INFORMATION"?

Or maybe place a daily-rate ad for your illegal rental in the Honolulu Advertiser for $100?

Then meet potential tenants (that never saw the place in person or knows how legit anything the owner is purporting about the unit) willing to fork over cash or a check that can bounce?

The internet, a cashless and partially insured/protected monetary system, a peer to peer-based review system and its lending to the "sharing economy" has allowed vacation rentals to flourish and explode to levels nobody would have thought possible. Any other "reason" for the illegal vacation rental explosion is purely white noise.
All of what you are saying is why illegal rentals are more popular and in existence. But that doesn't explain why for almost two decades with clear zoning laws and regulations for hotels and residential areas etc that the industry has not been shut down. There is a reason why the state hasn't shut them down? Can you tell me why? It has to do with special interests and politics. Its kind of like if you remember for so long Oahu had a very bold and visable sex worker industry. Despite laws and a big enough police force to shut it down for years it was openly accepted. All society issues and ills are in existence because some political special interests group profits from it.

Before illegal daily rentals were ever heard of the only daily rent places were hotels and undesirable places like hotel street for a reason because the zoning laws were enforced at least that's what my uncle tells me.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:24 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
In response to whtviper1, mikala,pj.

Oh I had a friend visit and returned home to the mainland tell me he has never seen more gorgeous public parks or as many in a city. So everything isn't bad.

Really? Which ones?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-19-2016, 06:27 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Sir I know my writing isn't the greatest but could you please read my post entirely before you respond. I'm agreeing with you. No where did I say it was just a high income community issue. What I said was, why is it that we only get results or action when upper income communities complain and it becomes an issue for them? The Airbnb issue has been a problem for other communities for years now.

What? You think someone wants a vacation rental in Waipahu? How about Kalihi? I bet it is more of nicer neighborhood issue, then it is on Republican Street.

Quit making everything into the "poor working man."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-19-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What? You think someone wants a vacation rental in Waipahu? How about Kalihi? I bet it is more of nicer neighborhood issue, then it is on Republican Street.

Quit making everything into the "poor working man."
Again please re-read my post. I Said before it was an issue in places like Hawai'i kai or upper income communities it was a problem in other lower income communities. It only became a real viable issue for action when it became an issue in communities with upper income. Thats the only reference I used in regard to income. This illegal rental issue has been in existence in Waikiki for decades now. Places like kapahulu and ala moana. There are illegal vacation rentals in waipahu too.

Last edited by Kalei; 04-19-2016 at 07:00 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 12:17 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times
"(If you were in Hawaii) would you like to live next door to a vacation rental?"

No. I think that's the long and short of it, no matter in what state it was located. We owned a condo on the B.I.. After we sold it, we were shocked to hear that our next door neighbor had turned her unit into a short term rental (basically a hotel room) despite the fact that this sort of thing wasn't allowed in the condo association rules. She's been doing this for 11 years now, and advertises it online in many venues. So you wonder how often this sort of thing happens.

Taking a SWAG on the person that has been renting their place for 26 years, if they had a 30 year mortgage, I would think that only about 10% of the mortgage payments was interest at this point, so maybe $300 a month is interest, the rest principle, property taxes and insurance. $1900 a month minus $300 is $1600, and $1600 X 12 months is $19,200. Take that from your $27,000 net taxable income (interest was already taken out of this figure according to the op) and you have $7,800 a year profit, but remember, some of that $27,000 was taxed, so it's less than that. I'm sure that during that 26 year rental history there were repairs that had to be made too. Maybe termite tenting, maybe a roof, etc.

Even if my guess is 50% off and you made $10,000 - $15,000 a year after the entire mortgage was included (I have no way of knowing how much of that $1900 was taxes and insurance, nor was that already figured in their end figures), it's quite a bit of risk and work, but consider that the tenants are paying your mortgage for you. That's the real reward, it just requires being in the game for 30 years. If you did that, you would own a home free and clear and somebody else paid for it. However, you had to assume the risks and do the work to make it happen. It still begins to look real good at that point, unless you also figure that if you had simply lived in it those 30 years, you would also own the place free and clear. But 30 years of rental income, whatever the net might be, wouldn't have come into the bank account.

Last edited by smarino; 04-20-2016 at 01:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii