Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:49 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed the embedded video.

"We lose people here every year", says the lifeguard shore announcement. Ha!

That should cause some folks to think twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 01:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,606 times
Lots of references to people being stupid, yet people here don't know the difference between then and then, or you're and your.

Sad times we live in.

As for the stupid tourists, let them be stupid and don't dedicate resources to save them from themselves. Eventually, they'll learn. If not, their deaths will be a warning to others.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:31 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Lots of references to people being stupid, yet people here don't know the difference between then and then
Sad times indeed.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Lots of references to people being stupid, yet people here don't know the difference between then and then
Almost a year between posts to post that gem? Classic.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:55 PM

814 posts, read 581,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
How would you go about closing all the beaches in Hawaii?
How would you go about monitoring all the beaches in Hawaii to know which beaches to close?

Well, we could have the lifeguards put up 'No Swimming' signs at public beaches and the hotels.

I just noticed that you live in Oregon. Imagine what it would cost to have all of our beaches monitored and close them when the water is too rough.
I live in Oregon but grew up in Long Island. When there are storms and/or rough surf, the beaches get CLOSED. NY, NJ, all up and down the coast. Signs get put up saying 'No Swimming'. Oregon has its own deterrent to strong surf, which is COLD temperatures. I have yet to get past my knees in Oregon Coast water.

There will always be those who ignore the signs anyway but there are also those who will not do that, thinking perhaps that they signs are there for a reason.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:06 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
There will always be those who ignore the signs anyway but there are also those who will not do that, thinking perhaps that they signs are there for a reason.
Seems that most ocean related deaths on Maui these days are cardiac related, not storm, shark, or killer opihi related.

Maui Now : drowning Maui

Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
There are a couple of incidents of people who thought that it would be a great idea to straddle the Halona blow hole. What a surprise when it turns out to be deadly. They ignore the signs and do something that I knew as a very young child was dangerous.

Then there are the idiots who think that standing on the rocks between Sandy beach and Haunama bay with their backs to the ocean would make for the perfect picture. Yup, those huge waves that crash onto the rocks are totally safe; I mean what could go wrong?

Old 09-14-2016, 09:18 AM

130 posts, read 152,630 times
Closing beaches in Hawaii due to surf conditions would likely cause riots. There is a strong surf culture and surfing big waves is pretty popular. Perhaps signs and kiosks explaining the dangers would be more appropriate to keep tourists who aren't familiar with the ocean from doing something they aren't prepared for.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:56 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I was at Sandy Beach this weekend and about once an hour the Life Guards made announcements about the dangerous conditions and the skill level to be in the water.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-14-2016, 07:29 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Sandy's is pretty dangerous since it's a shore break. Tourists may not know about that part.

I've seen them get washed over at Waikiki, but fortunately most of them there just look silly and aren't hurt when they stand with their back to the ocean to take a selfie. And, fortunately again, most of the tourists stay in Waikiki where it's been pretty sanitized for them.

If we're comparing apples to apples (or pineapples to pineapples), they say X number of tourists die in Hawaii, but overall, how many tourists are there in Hawaii at any particular time? What percentage is that X number of tourists? I don't see that all that many tourists are going to get into trouble in somewhere such as Kansas or Nebraska or some where that one suspects has less tourists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii