Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 04:41 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times

Advertisements

I hope I never have to depend on a jury for my freedom. It could go either way. Most trials seem to be judged on emotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 07:21 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,244 times
My Uncle ran a private Social Service/ medical clinic on Kauai'i in the 1970s -1980s.
The things he witnessed, the people he counciled, almost burnt him out.
Lots of sexual abuse of minors, Incest was rampant.

Yes, in many cases the victims were ostracized if they reported their abuse...A lot of 'she asked for it' stuff.
Domestic violence; a woman would come in a store/bar with a bruise or Black Eye..the other guys would say to her partner laughingly, 'What did she do this time?'

Old 09-12-2017, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,229 times
From someone familiar and very saddened by this case, I want to thank you for remaining true to your heart and not voting to acquit. Thank you...

Old 09-19-2017, 12:50 AM

163 posts, read 268,732 times
I find humanity, in general, gives a lot of lip service to what we claim we value. But when it comes down to it, it's just lipservice. Ironically, working with child sex abuse victims here on Oahu is what taught me that up close and personal.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:52 AM

834 posts, read 1,217,454 times
There's the case of William 'Keola' Childs in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island. Childs was a county council man and real estate developer in the 80s and 90s. He is white despite his Hawaiian name. With his then-wife he adopted a local boy. His then-wife has millions and much influence as she is old haole stock.

He then rapes the little boy for a number of years.

Told his therapist who had to report it to the police. Case goes to trial and he gets a year house arrest. No prison. Trial is not public. The house arrest he can serve at his leisure, a weekend here, a vacation spent at home there.

As this would not be enough of a slap in the face of justice, the county planner back then, Chris Yuen, offers him a posh job in the planning department of the county in 2005 or so. He hides behind the mayor Harry Kim's order to hire this creep. The Mayor Harry Kim defends his decision that there would be no other capable candidate than rapist incestuous pedophile Childs!

So while STILL SERVING his sentence, this guy gets a six figure county job. Which he still has, and then-Mayor Kim is mayor of Hawaii county again.

One can't make that stuff up...

Old 09-20-2017, 02:34 AM

10 posts, read 13,208 times
Glutened over the weekend. Still miserable. Plus jury duty tomorrow. Not feeling very grateful right now.
In PDX, jury duty is leisurely with comfy chairs and friendly staff
In NYC it's miserable but they show a video with Law & Order actors

Old 09-20-2017, 07:59 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Blaming the victim is horrible. Sounds like some community education is needed on behalf of rape and incest victims. Seems like the prevelant attitude back in the 1950's and before.
Is this an Hawaii thing? Because it's a small and people know eachother. This is horrible? And thank you for not following group pressure here.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:27 PM

163 posts, read 268,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Is this an Hawaii thing? Because it's a small and people know eachother. This is horrible? And thank you for not following group pressure here.
Partially that, yes. A friend of mine did her research project on incest and sadly found that it's also more normalized in certain Polynesian communities when compared to other racial groups. She couldn't find out why, though.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:34 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Partially that, yes. A friend of mine did her research project on incest and sadly found that it's also more normalized in certain Polynesian communities when compared to other racial groups. She couldn't find out why, though.
It is. I believe it is cultural from the standpoint that is was acceptable since way back when, and acceptance stays in some groups. Though that was true of other cultures also, though it ceased to be okay as time went on.

I think one of Hawaii's biggest problems is the "live and let live" attitude (it's also a really good thing).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-26-2017, 07:40 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
As you say "back then" it was actually like many other monarchies that believed keeping the bloodline in the family was how to run the country. I believe blue blood is the term.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BJRL8DHfKGR4XA

Besides what's mentioned in the link above, Princess Nahienaena was the last to inbreed without success as the baby died two hours post birth. The missionaries had done their work. Incest was a practice reserved for royals. Incest does exist today but it's prominent in underdeveloped countries. Here's a list of people you probably know who have incest family connections.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ms9wt4CBgD66kQ

If you're going to equate what the Royals did to carry their line directly to their subjects; well, I just don't know what to say. England must have incest in every household! France, Egypt, Spain, on and on too.

Truth of the matter is, the stats of incest and child rape are not reflective of what is actually going on.
The fear of the child in rape cases is so great that we have absolutely no idea how bad it is out there. My qualifications for that statement come from my college degrees and my minor in psych from OHSU mega *** laude 95' and working in selected field.

It's only lately that hopefully the campaign for males and females to come forward might influence somone to come forward sooner anywhere on earth.

The Catholic Church, where not one person has gone to jail but millions paid out to keep the boys quiet, clean as the angels yes.

Hawaii has a history of LGBT persons in the culture because there is nothing wrong with that; both your claims about how Hawaii must be incestuous are based on your own fantasies.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wwoD5RgiPEUX6Q

As for "maybe" the jurors knew the situation shows your knowledge of how jury selection is made and the islands themselves. Maybe in the 60's before all kinds of people moved to Kauai (I'm raised in Hanapepe) we knew each other but these days...not so much. If you knew anything about Kauai you would also know that we stuck to our own sides before (not so much now).

Those jurors wanted to get out and go home; it's that simple. I congratulate the poster for standing their ground. No, it's not a Hawaii thing no more than it is in any other civilized country. Rape in any form is a terrible silent crime that preys on every aspect of society and has no regard to color or culture. As for incest common in Hawaii, please show me the juried studies.

Einstien married his first cousin (family had like history); Germans must be doing incestuous things, Roosevelt married his cousin (5th removed apparently)...the 48 states have known stats that would less than make you throw up on childhood rape. Believe it or not, white and black men get the prize (taking in population variances).

We aren't talking about a consensual relationship when a young woman gets on the stand to tell the tale of "rape" by a family member.

Gossip is a dangerous thing. Incest is legal. It's rape that's not. Do you know the differance between the two? Incest is adults marrying within their family lines; rape is rape.

BTW mr.magoo...who was your uncle because that's my field and I should know him (private message me).

Ya know, every once and a while I'll come to this site to see what's going on and I'll say sometimes I just go away because some of you come up with out there stuff; but this, takes the cake. Taking a rape case and turning the conversation to incest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: