Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 PM

5 posts, read 9,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Personally, I wouldn't come here without a firm job offer in hand. Especially since both of you are nurses.

I agree, Patty. Thanks, again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 04:28 AM

41 posts, read 144,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceruleanpure View Post
@ Gfoxx,

By "job situation" are you speaking in reference to "hiring" being pretty bad, or "keeping your position" being pretty bad? Does it seem to be better/worse one on island more than another?

Thanks. Just trying to obtain an understanding.
I only know about the job situation for RNs on Oahu. Getting hired can be difficult. It's all about if you already live on island, who you are related to & who you know. If you are new to the island getting hired in a full time position can be difficult.

It is difficult to make a living as a RN here due to the low pay compared to the mainland & high cost of living. I have many co-workers who work to full time jobs to be able to support their family. If you are single it is easier.

There doesn't seem to be a problem keeping your position once you are hired unless your employer goes out of business.

Last edited by Gfoxx; 01-25-2014 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: to add more

Old 01-27-2014, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,085 times
Default RN's needed on Maui

RN's are needed at Kula Hospital, Maui-which includes a very small ER and many LTC beds. RN's needed for both This is a state hospital approximately 45min from the beach but with a spectacular view. You can apply at www.hhsc.org or at 808-876-4404.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:44 PM

80 posts, read 194,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDA3377 View Post
RN's are needed at Kula Hospital, Maui-which includes a very small ER and many LTC beds. RN's needed for both This is a state hospital approximately 45min from the beach but with a spectacular view. You can apply at www.hhsc.org or at 808-876-4404.
I guess I will come by in a few days to drop off my resume.

either way, I need a job. I am just waiting for my licensure to be issued to me over this next week.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:11 PM

431 posts, read 939,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDA3377 View Post
Am I reading the job posting wrong or is it for nurses with experience only?
Kula Hospital sounds like a nursing home with a "critical access" ER. Very tough ER's to work in, BTW. Whatever comes in, you're it. Massive skill set needed.
Not, IMHO, a safe place for a new grad to be working.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 PM

80 posts, read 194,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Am I reading the job posting wrong or is it for nurses with experience only?
Kula Hospital sounds like a nursing home with a "critical access" ER. Very tough ER's to work in, BTW. Whatever comes in, you're it. Massive skill set needed.
Not, IMHO, a safe place for a new grad to be working.
its better than not having anyone at all. These hospitals on maui do not have a new grad residency program, and depending on the severity they will bring them to MMMC before there. Tomorrow is my big application day.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,878 times
Any luck with finding a nursing job fellow posters? If so, could you share the process of how you made it work?

Old 06-16-2014, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I'm originally from Atlanta and am comtemplating a move as I prepare to finish nursing school. Just wondering what quality of life a nurse can expect to have in Hawaii, and are there a lot of nursing jobs down there? Also, what's the best island for being near shopping and activities and not necessarily be in the thick of things. Maybe a neighborhood or area that's quiet and not so crowded, but with close proximity to everything I need. I'm dying to live near the beach, but California is looking to be out of the question, it's so much going on there, and seems to me more people are leaving than coming.
Hi, I just moved in hawaii with my family last dec 2013 from San Diego, CA .My husband is in the service and got stationed here in Honolulu Hi. I've been a nurse for 9 years and still having quite a hard time finding a job here. I even applied for a job in mist of the hospitals here 6 months before we moved. Yes I did have a job. And it took quite sometime. And I've heard and know few people who just graduated RN and does not have a job and working as a CNA hoping and waiting for a new grad program job. Cost of living is really high and the house rents are very pricy too.but in fairness the beaches are very nice and people are very warm. I'm still hoping to go back in CA just feel like more opportunities for nursing a jobs there.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,494 times
How do you obtain licensure by endorsement? I have been to several sites with no luck.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:29 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
The reason you are probably having a hard time is they just re-did the site and it's the DCCA-PVl site you need to connect to. All licenses in Hawaii are monitored by the Professional Vocational Licensing (PVL) with oversight from Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA)...or something like that. Do a search:

DCCA_PVL.gov

Look for a site called "Hawaii" with the address Hawaii.gov/dcca/pvl, If you don't get a Hawaii just do the Hawaii.gov/dcca/pvl and that might work as well.

If you get to Hawaii there will be a selection underneath, so hit Nursing and that's it.

The # of the BON in Hawaii is 808-587-3298 or 808-587-3222...good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii