Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 04:55 PM

175 posts, read 183,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
And.....what did you expect with only 12 years of experience?

IT and software developers isn't exactly a high demand position in Hawaii.

Now, tour bus operator - that is another story......
what did I expect?

I already make a lot more than that lol.

Average salary for software engineers is about 120k-140k with 5-6 years of exp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 05:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post

Average salary for software engineers is about 120k-140k with 5-6 years of exp.
Not in Hawaii

Old 11-08-2019, 05:06 PM

175 posts, read 183,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Not in Hawaii
Yes... I know. thats why i gave up looking in that area.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:16 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
Quote:
OP, I have over 12 years of experience as a software engineer and I live in Southern California.

The best offer I got from Oahu was 90k, no parking included. Terrible.

I would not move to Hawaii unless you made at least 100-110k/yr.

Oahu has most of the jobs but it's my least favorite island. You won't find many tech jobs on the other lands.

Good luck.
I will agree with this. Single income 100k+, you can have a fairly comfortable living, plus actually be able to put in the recommended amount for retirement. Dual incomes with 100k+ each, you can have kids and afford to send them to private school, decent living in a house in the suburbs. Not a 2br condo, which tends to run 500k+ nowadays. Less, and you will have to cut to make ends meet plus plan ahead/smart. The bare minimum to move to hawaii and not live like an absolute pauper is 60-70k. And to make my point, the federal guideline for low income for a single person is 67.5k

Rule of thumb for hawaii with most professional type jobs is you take a mainland large city salary and slash it by 40% or so. That's how much you will make in hawaii, and why many graduates either move or stay in the mainland. If you're lucky, you'll only have to cut the salary by 20%

Old 11-15-2019, 04:48 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times
Quote:
Yes... I know. thats why i gave up looking in that area.
Now, if you were a surfboard engineer........

Old 11-15-2019, 08:16 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeKing5 View Post
Hi, I'm considering moving to Hawaii after college with a degree in computer science and electrical engineering. I currently live in Ocala and planned to move to either Orlando or Silicon Valley. I already know the high cost of living associated with Hawaii. What I want to know is that is the job market suitable enough for a STEM graduate and is the pay good?
You are more than welcome here in Hawaii! We always welcome educated, responsible people. There are planeloads of uneducated, unskilled and dead-broke illegals here, living off the churches.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:14 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
You are more than welcome here in Hawaii! We always welcome educated, responsible people. There are planeloads of uneducated, unskilled and dead-broke illegals here, living off the churches.

Are you royalty?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-18-2019, 11:04 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Are you royalty?
Better than royalty. I'm an employed Taxpayer and contributing member of a church for decades.
My father was a Veteran and both my grandfathers were veterans and served the USA.

I go to church every Sunday and theres always a new family of 4 or 5 minimum from some Pacific island that needs Free Rent for 5 months (for a "hand up" to get started), and free food for the entire family. They also receive an immigration attorney straight form the Wailuku Legal Aid society to gain benefits faster ie, Medical and Food Stamps.

Then the male can't work because he cant pass the drug test, and the congregation continues to financially support these families endlessly. There Free Hot food every night of the week at one church or another. They pass a list around and the bus schedule. And yes, of course, we but then bus passes.

Oh , let me not forget Christmas when each child received a new I phone. The women and children get Walmart vouchers to shop unimpeded, instead of shopping for necessities.

You can call me racist or a bigot or whatever, that's fine. At this point I'm fed up.

I dont believe Hawaii taxpayers and church communities should be picking up the bill for an immigration problem and the homeless problem.

Last edited by trinity1111; 11-18-2019 at 11:38 AM..

Old 11-18-2019, 12:41 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times
Quote:
Better than royalty. I'm an employed Taxpayer and contributing member of a church for decades.
My father was a Veteran and both my grandfathers were veterans and served the USA.

I go to church every Sunday and theres always a new family of 4 or 5 minimum from some Pacific island that needs Free Rent for 5 months (for a "hand up" to get started), and free food for the entire family. They also receive an immigration attorney straight form the Wailuku Legal Aid society to gain benefits faster ie, Medical and Food Stamps.

Then the male can't work because he cant pass the drug test, and the congregation continues to financially support these families endlessly. There Free Hot food every night of the week at one church or another. They pass a list around and the bus schedule. And yes, of course, we but then bus passes.

Oh , let me not forget Christmas when each child received a new I phone. The women and children get Walmart vouchers to shop unimpeded, instead of shopping for necessities.

You can call me racist or a bigot or whatever, that's fine. At this point I'm fed up.

I dont believe Hawaii taxpayers and church communities should be picking up the bill for an immigration problem and the homeless problem.
Me thinks you are putting us on with this "stuff".

Old 11-18-2019, 12:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:

Perhaps a solution is a new church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii