Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 11:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 7,750,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Boy, Maui's OGG airport has come a long way from the 80's.

I remember stepping off flights and down the mobile stair ladder at OGG. You had to hold on to your hat, and hold down your skirt/dress at the same time. OGG is often windy and back then there were no jetways; you walked in the wind and rain.
I remember that too. Inter island gates were just crude openings from a long, narrow single story concourse. The open air banyan at baggage claim was nice though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 10:34 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
When I was a teenager, walking down the stairs from the plane onto the tarmac with that first whiff of Plumeria Flowers made the vacation seem so much more exotic. I loved it! Now I'm happy with the jetways that connect to the plane.
Hotel row in Waikiki was lit on the beach side with tiki torches all the way. I miss that too!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 02-22-2020 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-24-2020, 05:35 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Who cares whether the airport is high in customer satisfaction? It is not like I am moving into it or anything. I just pass through it on my way to someplace else.

OGG, on Maui, is apparently going to enclose their open terminals. Sounds crazy to me but I guess it is trying to satisfy people who want a mainland style airport with air conditioning.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:50 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Who cares whether the airport is high in customer satisfaction? It is not like I am moving into it or anything. I just pass through it on my way to someplace else.

OGG, on Maui, is apparently going to enclose their open terminals. Sounds crazy to me but I guess it is trying to satisfy people who want a mainland style airport with air conditioning.
When there's not competition/other options, I agree that it doesn't matter. And, even then, things will often come down to cheapest flight for most people. But, at least in my case, all else being equal, I'll opt to fly into/have a layover at a nicer airport with greater amenities than a crappy airport.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:57 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
There are multiple design problems with HNL airport.

For example, if you board a Hawaiian Air flight bound for Mainland, you have to check in at Terminal 1 and then walk all the way to the far end of Terminal 2. The walk is 15 minutes and longer for Senior passengers.

And if you arrive from a foreign country, there is no bathroom right after you get off the plane until you get to the baggage claim area. There are also always long lines at the Immigration Counter especially for foreign tourists.

The only good news is they finally update their Wiki Wiki Bus -- with AC.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
OMG, what a stupid idea! The open air concourse is the best part of OGG. Now I'm depressed.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
OMG, what a stupid idea! The open air concourse is the best part of OGG. Now I'm depressed.
The enclosure of terminals isn't to make mainland folks happy with AC and while I'm sure they would be disappointed in your depression there are practical reasons.

OGG has grown to a point that open air terminals aren't practical and cost high dollars to maintain (mold/mildew - and rust from humidity) - by enclosing, throwing up solar panels, and doing AC (and making airport employees happier), the maintenance costs of the airport go way down (hence less taxpayer money needed).

Old 03-03-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The enclosure of terminals isn't to make mainland folks happy with AC and while I'm sure they would be disappointed in your depression there are practical reasons.

OGG has grown to a point that open air terminals aren't practical and cost high dollars to maintain (mold/mildew - and rust from humidity) - by enclosing, throwing up solar panels, and doing AC (and making airport employees happier), the maintenance costs of the airport go way down (hence less taxpayer money needed).

I suppose you're right. Good points made here. The happiness of mainland folks should be a major consideration though.

Old 03-07-2020, 03:28 PM

749 posts, read 852,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Boy, Maui's OGG airport has come a long way from the 80's.

I remember stepping off flights and down the mobile stair ladder at OGG. You had to hold on to your hat, and hold down your skirt/dress at the same time. OGG is often windy and back then there were no jetways; you walked in the wind and rain.

SW airlines just did that to us a few weeks ago, at HNL no less out on the tarmac - in rain then walking and walking to get inside, hope they have their own parking spots by now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Agree, the open air is what makes it feel like 'home' but do understand why they must change it I guess, still depressing.

We kinda like HNL, the moving sidewalk to nowhere, the nifty garden area with doggy doodoo sand box and clean-up area. We always zip through TSA, etc, almost never any lines, maybe we just got lucky with our timing.

The Kauai airport is where we feel like we are stuck in Bugtussle or some dirt runway rural airstrip.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
SW airlines just did that to us a few weeks ago, at HNL no less out on the tarmac - in rain then walking and walking to get inside, hope they have their own parking spots by now!

Considering the tarmac area gates were built specifically for Southwest, I wouldn’t count on dedicated jet bridges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii