Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 06:20 PM

11,782 posts, read 7,995,430 times

Advertisements

So here I am sitting in Central Texas as the temperatures are dropping into the single digits as the land around me gets dominated by ice and snow, the most foreign sights I have ever seen in this state.. ..reducing power consumption in the now dark and lonely room as our power capacity was hamphered by frozen Wind Mills and shut down Natural Gas facilities.. ..and I just started pondering.. with my limited knowledge of how weather works outside of some Jet Stream having the bottom fall out unleashing a fury of Artic air over most of the country granting us weather that only Santa is supposed to experience... and my thoughts were ..'Hmmm.. I wonder if such a storm could ever drop over the Pacific Ocean and float its way to Hawaii and if it did, could it drop the temperature to our record lows..'

..indeed.. I'm a bored Texan locked in this dark little room with too much time to think on my hands.. but I must know the answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 10:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
The lowest recorded temperature in Honolulu’s recorded history is 52 in 1969. I think we are safe from the polar vortex.

With ocean temperatures in the mid 70s in winter - low 50s at sea level in Hawaii is likely a once in a lifetime event.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:56 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Yup, what WV said. Hawaii sits in the middle of a pretty big pond which keeps things at a pretty steady temperature. In Hawaii, temperature seems to be more effected by elevation than anything else. There's usually snow up on Mauna Kea each winter and there's even snow on Mauna Loa this year. But, below the mountains down by the coast, it's still mid-fifties in the dead of night.

I think Hawaii has the least change of annual temperatures of just about anywhere.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:51 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
...'Hmmm.. I wonder if such a storm could ever drop over the Pacific Ocean and float its way to Hawaii and if it did, could it drop the temperature to our record lows..'
No, certainly not your record lows. The thermal capacity of water is over 4 times that of air and Hawaii is surrounded by a lot of ocean that would take a long time to cool off enough to sustain cold temperatures.

Even Pribilof islands at a fairly high latitude in Alaska don't get very cold anymore, due to less seasonal ocean ice and ocean temperatures greatly exceeding historical averages lately.

Record lows for Hawaii could result from such an air mass though.

La Nina conditions now exist, with tropical water temperatures being cooler than normal. However, in this map you can see that Hawaii is still within a warmer than average patch of water.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/anal...a_global_1.png

In any case it's been chilly lately in Puna, even below 1000 ft.. Average low for February so far at my place has been 57F!

Old 02-16-2021, 01:51 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,734 times
Pretty sure the Temps will not get any worse then we have seen so far this year. Although I do like the cool mornings we have had the past week or so.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:15 AM

11,782 posts, read 7,995,430 times
:S this whole disaster was a fiasco I hope I never have to re-live.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:10 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,277 times
I some times keep track of the temperature readings. For the most part it remains between 70 degrees to 88 degrees on a normal spring day. I think it does good if I choose to keep up with this reading. So that I will know whether to wear a jacket on a cold night out or no jacket on a hot summer night.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:05 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Actually, this whole disaster may happen again next year. It isn't 'global warming' but 'climate change' and more extremes are going to keep showing up. We've had bigger storms and more of them pretty much everywhere. There will probably be some 'extremes' in Hawaii as well, but we do have that big ocean cushion out there to ameliorate the extremes to something much less so, we hope. Although, in 2018, we did have a lot of lava running around causing trouble but that wasn't really a result of climate change, Pele has been doing that for ages.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:53 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Actually, this whole disaster may happen again next year. It isn't 'global warming' but 'climate change' and more extremes are going to keep showing up. We've had bigger storms and more of them pretty much everywhere. There will probably be some 'extremes' in Hawaii as well, but we do have that big ocean cushion out there to ameliorate the extremes to something much less so, we hope. Although, in 2018, we did have a lot of lava running around causing trouble but that wasn't really a result of climate change, Pele has been doing that for ages.
Perhaps climate change will tend to steer hurricanes nearer to the Hawaiian Islands than historical averages.

Old 05-07-2022, 05:32 AM

79 posts, read 53,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
So here I am sitting in Central Texas as the temperatures are dropping into the single digits as the land around me gets dominated by ice and snow, the most foreign sights I have ever seen in this state.. ..reducing power consumption in the now dark and lonely room as our power capacity was hamphered by frozen Wind Mills and shut down Natural Gas facilities.. ..and I just started pondering.. with my limited knowledge of how weather works outside of some Jet Stream having the bottom fall out unleashing a fury of Artic air over most of the country granting us weather that only Santa is supposed to experience... and my thoughts were ..'Hmmm.. I wonder if such a storm could ever drop over the Pacific Ocean and float its way to Hawaii and if it did, could it drop the temperature to our record lows..'

..indeed.. I'm a bored Texan locked in this dark little room with too much time to think on my hands.. but I must know the answer!
No, not your record lows. Water has a thermal capacity that is more than four times that of air, and Hawaii is surrounded by a large body of water that would take a long time to cool off enough to sustain cold temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: