Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 PM

84 posts, read 407,032 times

Advertisements

Aloha!

To make a very long story, very short: my wife and I know we want to live in Hawaii…in fact she already lived there for 7 months, and I lived there part time during that time as we dated…..anyway, we have a 3 year plan to get back to the islands:

- I’m a highly qualified and experienced 5th grade teacher who already teaches a class predominately made up of second language learners. I plan on working very hard to continue to hone my skills as an educator during the next 3 years.

-My wife is about to begin nursing school and will be done in 2 and a half years…ready in time for the move

-We’ll save our money, educate ourselves further about Hawaiian culture, and of course take a few trips between now and then

-As a backup plan, in case the demand for teachers is low in 3 years, I guess I’ll try to get a job in the hospitality industry, law enforcement (which my B.A. is in), or maybe even tend bar and substitute teach if I absolutely must

So what do you guys think? ANY advice/suggestions/constructive criticism would be very much appreciated, as this is a serious and solid plan which we have already begun to follow!

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 01:25 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
At least you have been here and you have long-range plan, that's a good start. I am assuming you mean you want to move to Oahu? Honolulu?

Keep in mind that teacher salaries average around $50,000, nurses (RNs) from $30-50,000, depending upon specialties, certifications, and experience. (Police recruits make about $40,000 the first year, I think.) All have pretty good benefits.

You plan is doable, I think, you just won't have a lot of extra money. People certainly get by on less, but it would be hard to buy a house, for instance, unless you've saved the entire downpayment. The higher costs of almost everything really add up over here, whether it's gas and groceries, utilities, or taxes. Take careful note of your expenses when you are visiting, take time to look at the kind of real estate you'll want to live in, think about where you want to live (and the commutes to where you might work), and make your plans accordingly.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the tips whynot? .... who the hell has the money to buy a $640,000 house that in other places would be considered a "cottage"...???

Are there foreign investors?? WHY has the price of real estate got so crazy in Hawaii????

Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
The price of real estate in Hawaii has been "crazy" for a very long time. I would not blame "foreign investors," unless you consider Californians "foreign." Kidding. Sort of. That's why locals often work 2 or 3 jobs. Really.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,476 times
Are you considering only Oahu? If not, the Waikoloa/Waimea area on the Big Island is possibly an option.

RE prices are coming down a bit, so not impossible to find a nice home under 450K. (I just checked...there are currently 53 homes for sale under 450K in the Waikoloa/Waimea area.) Good schools here, though competitive for placement, and the hospital there may have some options for your wife: North Hawaii Community Hospital | Holistic Care | Complementary Healing Practices (broken link)

Old 05-30-2008, 05:17 AM

60 posts, read 394,188 times
in my eyes you have a pretty decent plan going. i would recoment combing a few of those elemants... i hope you like most teachers and absolutly love teaching. but. i would sugest pairing a few elemnts of ur plan together. teacher by day and friday and sat night bartender. make a few hundred in cash each night. have a few hundred extra in your pocket goes a long way. makes the high cost of livin a little more doable. so you have to ask your self "am i willing to work two jobs" often times thats what it takes... but everthing else seems in pretty good order.

what kind of place you want to rent?

buy?

anways. good luck. and you can make it happen.

mahalo and be blessed

Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoon808 View Post
in my eyes you have a pretty decent plan going. i would recoment combing a few of those elemants... i hope you like most teachers and absolutly love teaching. but. i would sugest pairing a few elemnts of ur plan together. teacher by day and friday and sat night bartender. make a few hundred in cash each night. have a few hundred extra in your pocket goes a long way. makes the high cost of livin a little more doable. so you have to ask your self "am i willing to work two jobs" often times thats what it takes... but everthing else seems in pretty good order.

what kind of place you want to rent?

buy?

anways. good luck. and you can make it happen.

mahalo and be blessed
Mahalo for the reply! You know, I guess I am willing to work 2 jobs if I have to. My main passion is the teaching...using my skills to give back to the children of Hawaii. But I guess I could use my Mai Tai making skills to give back to the tourists

Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
You might want to search for some prior posts on the DOE.....I have a few friends that are teachers and are easily frustrated with the administration. Its not so much the kids that make the teaching job difficult, but the adults. Just to be aware of what you are getting into!

Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 AM

12 posts, read 50,407 times
Right now, with the major budget cuts in the education system, teachers are not in hi demand. Maybe in 3 yrs - we'll see. There is definitely an overall need for qualified teachers, so in "normal" times, it should not be difficult to get a teaching job. Policeman are always in hi demand, but as I understand it, the pay is not that great here.

The DOE here is well, difficult, at best. You may want to look at teaching jobs in he private sector. Maui has an amazing, newly built, Kamehameha K-12 Campus. Lahainaluna and St. Anthony's as well as Seabury which is the top private school on Maui. Punahou is on O'ahu which is the most elite private school in the state (Obama graduated from Punahou). Lots of private schools and many charter schools to choose from. There always seems to be a need for qualified nurses and Maui is considering building a new hospital sometime in the near future, depending on the "politics" of it all.
The cost of living is hi, but it truly depends on how you live. Some areas offer a great opportunity for subsistance living and it is really easy to grow your own food here, even if you live in an apartment. A small garden in pots works really well for lettuce and herbs, etc. Lots of opportunity to be creative. Good luck and just pray for guidance. Knock and the door will be opened. If it doesn't open, there may be a reason.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSpringsDan View Post
Thanks for the tips whynot? .... who the hell has the money to buy a $640,000 house that in other places would be considered a "cottage"...???

Are there foreign investors?? WHY has the price of real estate got so crazy in Hawaii????
During our yearly visits we have made many friends who live on the islands. Sadly the CA nova rich have built multi-million dollar homes on the island, although many rarely live there. This has been one reason the cost of land/homes has been driven so high. HI families that have owned property for years have been forced to sell as they cannot afford the taxes. Many HI families live together as it is the only way they can afford to own their homes; two friends who are teachers worked two jobs in order to make ends meet. Many HI young people come to the mainland for college and don't return to the islands in order to have a better quality of life (home, cars, vacations, etc.). I believe it is referred to as the Paradise Tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: