Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,355 times

Advertisements

Aloha, guys... (Particularly Kaylama) I lived on Kauai till Iniki blew me away (!). I really miss it! After Kauai I lived in Florida for several years in the Tampa area. Liked it very much, but the hurricanes began chasing me there, too! Finally moved to Georgia. Kaylama, be VERY careful about sinkholes in Spring hill... People pretend they don't exist, but they do! they do! Between the hurricanes and sinkholes, home insurance is staggeringly high and going higher each year. Only place you can get it is from the State owned insurance underwriter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 03:15 AM

7 posts, read 65,930 times
yeah i am homesick myself...been in Orlando, FL for over a week after leaving HI. i miss the food!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't find any furikake around in the grocery stores. i miss the plate lunch, too! squid luau and all that good stuff. ppl drive crazy around hea....where's the aloha spirit?

Old 02-15-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Miss Hawaiian food...

When we lived on Kauai we used to eat at a tiny restaurant serving all Hawaiin food. We got hooked and ate there often! Definitely miss it to this day!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:52 AM

3 posts, read 15,410 times
I used to live in Hawaii I was a mechanic for mid pacific air but when they went bankrupt I was forced back to the mainland
I really loved the islands and I am always looking for reasons to go back as it is the most beautiful place on earth but I cannot ignore the high prices crime and drug problems and the way I was treated by (some) just because I am white
I now live in south Florida and I welcome ALL Hawaiians and I love the idea of a little Hawaii here in Florida you know the TRUE aloha sprit and I would be glad to help with any local info you may need to help.
I think you could make a fortune here if someone would open a Hawaiian restaurant
ALOHA AND WELCOME TO FLORIDA

Old 02-16-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlooking2 View Post
I'm not looking for an argument, but I really must ask this.

Why are you trying to turn Florida into Hawaii? How do you think the native Floridian's will feel about that? Yes, I agree that Florida is diverse, but to try to make it into Hawaii because you can't afford to live in your own state??

By ganging together and getting more "Hawaii" in Florida, aren't you going to be doing the exact same thing that was done to YOUR state? The very thing most Hawaiian people complain about?

Sorry, but these posts remind me of the complaints about Californians moving to other states and trying to make them into another California.
================================================== =======
I see nothing wrong with local pride as long as you bring the aloha spirt of Hawaii and leave the bad things back on the island Florida needs more happy people and I for one welcome you all .. you know its funny I remember walking on the beach in hawaii and the air was filled with the smells of teriyaki
people here in florida dont cook much on the beach

Old 02-16-2007, 07:32 AM

207 posts, read 687,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanirican808 View Post
I am just wondering if there are any others from hawaii trying to escape the high cost of paradise? I did i moved to florida. If anyone you know is thinking of moving tell them think about florida. at least here you can evacuate to somewhere.and there is beaches. I mean c'mon in Hawaii we have to work so much we hardly go to the beach. The Hawaiian islands are one of the most isolated groups on this planet. Can you imagine the earthquakes in hawaii and trying to evacuate? where would we go? Or a major Tsunami? There is just no more room?
Over one million people live on oahu i haven't checked but it's closer to 2 million. I am native from oahu and so is my family our family is half hawaiian and the other half came in the migrant days. 1800's. I really miss my home and am homesick but i just couldn't afford to live there anymore. If you want to move there go checkout the honolulu advertiser.com so you can read and see how it is. the rents, homes for sale. man i love my home but now i guess if us islanders in florida can get enough people to want the goods we could have hawaiian sun shipped here, eh maybe even start an L&L or loco moco. Like they did in Vegas. Don't move there please!
That is what i miss the most. THE FOOD! I know mainlanders don't really understand or even like or plate lunch food. You know they laughed when i asked for a portuguesse platter at mcdonalds.
But for all you locals out there florida feels like hawaii because there is so many people here from so many other places. I just had to learn to drive crazier!! And not be friendly! to many da kine sexual predators you know.
So when tutu comes i gotta tell her no talk to everybody. (you know it's da portuguesse side) lol ! all of us islanders know about that joke

mahalos

Aloha! So nice to hear form someone living in FL from Hawaii! I lived there in the late 60's and 70's...Lived Waimanalo for the last few years I was there...I MISS it
all the time. Oh yeah...plate lunch....love them, and the almond cookies. I'm also living in FL now...Mims...where are you? Wish you lived close by.

Know what you mean about telling Tutu not to talk to anybody...LOL!

I used to work at the Bistro in Honolulu...know it's gone now, but just wondered if you know it.

Aloha for now...

Old 02-16-2007, 07:49 AM

I used to work 3rd shift at da air port and we would eat at po po's it was great I miss getting served papaya with my meal I also miss stories the fiery realm of Pele, Hawaiian goddess and minihuni's and the bad luck that follows one that takes a rock from da big island
I tryed to fit in as a local kamainha <--spelling wrong
but sadly I was just a local haole

Old 02-16-2007, 01:27 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,098 times
Default leaving hawaii

Wow...reading This Post Makes Me Wonder If We're Doing The Right Thing....we Are Moving To Texas From Oahu In Oct....unfortunatly...it's Just To Expensive To Live Here Any Longer!...part Of Me Says To Just Stick It Out And Live Very Minimaly...then The Logical Side Sets In! Lol...i Will Go Have A Plate Lunch Today For All Of Ya! Katsu Chicken Or Shoyu Beef? And Of Course Two Starches With A Mochi Ball For Dessert!! Aloha!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Make mine shoyu beef!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,050 times
Default twidtylr

Interesting blog....of course my favorite place is the area around kona...will be spending a month there in aug/sep but as we all know we could not afford to retire there..so we went to Florida.
We are originally from Oregon but the rain just got to old. We went to "The Villages" ---oh my god..we did not fit in...to many NYers. WE ended up in the town of inverness, fl..quaint, cute and the people are very friendly..I work downtown now and love it..by the way there is a Fed. prison close with alot of jobs if you qualify ..my husband is a nurse .
But still I listen to Aloha Joe and many of the other radio stations on line every day..Aloha everyone..I know of some good realtors. Aloha!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii