Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 38,452 times

Advertisements

Lots of good tips on this thread. I agree with it all.

As a frequent visitor I was always just myself with locals. I'm not about pretense nor do I like to force words that I'm not comfortable speaking. If I were of Hawaiian decent or a native of Hawaii I would be more comfortable using Hawaiian words but to force them would seem fake.

That's not to say that they should never be used. It's a beautiful language and I enjoy learning to pronounce the words and speaking them but primarily save those times for the company of friends. If your genuine though I don't see any reason why you should not use the language for the appropriate situations.

When the locals speak the native language it's genuine. If they say Mahalo or Aloha it's genuine, even coming from hotel staff. There can be exceptions though. Once when my buddies had stopped the rental car to get out and check out a waterfall, a local native Hawaiian dude cruised by in his Chevy Impala and said "aloha" as he passed by. At first it seemed genuine, then I picked up on a note of sarcasm and realized he was just having fun with the tourists.

So pick the appropriate times to use the language. You don't want to look like a 'wanna be' if you know what I mean. Then you'll seem fake to the locals. And as pointed out, many Hawaiians don't speak there native language, though I hear many of the young are now learning it which is great.

One other thing, some of us people don't like the touristy stuff. We like to get out and do as the locals. When in Rome...but most locals you have an interaction with will be able to pick up on the fact that your a tourist and not local. However, many locals dig visitors who can pull themselves away from the resorts and McDonald's fast food joints and savor some of the local foods and smaller motels and such.

I have never stayed at a large hotel or resort on any of the Islands. I like exploring, getting away from the big Towns or cities like Honolulu for awhile and seeing how people live in the real Hawaii if you know what I mean. Remember though to be genuine and respectful and it wont even matter if anyone knows your not local.

Have fun on that vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:21 AM

25 posts, read 124,945 times
Just be yourself. Meaning talk like you normally would because quite frankly the only one I've heard say Mahalo and Aloha is my uncle and that's because he was brought up by a Hawaiian family as a little boy. (hanaied)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii