Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,685 times

Advertisements

It seems that the only movies I've seen about Hawaii are crappy 50s movies with Elvis or John Wayne, WWII movies set in the Pacific, or movies that are supposed to be set in exotic island locales such as Indonesia...

But very few movies with actual Hawaiians set in everyday situations and in everyday Hawaiian locations.

I can think of TONS of movies and TV shows set in contemporary Alaska, but hardly any about life in Hawaii. Kinda strange when you consider Hawaii is perhaps our most exotic state.

Can you think of any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:47 PM

202 posts, read 1,075,252 times
what do you expect, it's minorities and a dominate white country. Now if you really cared about hawaiians there are quite a few books out there written by them

Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
what do you expect, it's minorities and a dominate white country. Now if you really cared about hawaiians there are quite a few books out there written by them

I'm not sure that's a fair critique, since there are tons of films and TV shows about life in black & hispanic inner city America.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:18 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,242 times
Here's a few: Kona coast, Hawaii, The Hawaiians, 50 First dates, Northshore, Picture Bride, Laniloa, Ma and Pa Kettle in Waikiki. Hawaii 5-0 reruns on TV here every day.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:23 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,413 times
It does strike me as odd that they haven't done more in Hawaii all these years. The place offers a great setting for a number of different plot devices, but why Hollywood hasn't looked at it more is beyond me. It'd be too spectacular to pass up.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:53 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,989 times
Hollywood is first and foremost a money making business. They are also reluctant to take risks, preferring instead to rely on bankable stars and directors when they budget for a movie. Given that there are no major movie studios in Hawaii, the cost of shooting out there is expensive since everything has to be shipped via air or water. Most Hollywood types find Hawaii convenient to use for shooting location shots (e.g., Kauai as a stand in for a Costa Rican island in Juraissic Park) because of the incredible natural beauty, or for appropriate surfing films or stories based there (e.g., Big Bounce, Pearl Harbour, 50 First Dates, Saving Sarah Marshall, Snakes on a Plane...hey...that's actually a lot of movies done in the past five years). Anyway, as far as a feature film featuring real Hawaiians?!?!? While it might be nice to have one, I'm guessing the big Hollywood studios don't see any money in it. Of course, the beauty with movies is that you can shot them yourself. So if you think there is some money to be made, get a bunch of friends together, invest in a decent film camera and editing machine, and you might be the next Tarantino or Robert Rodriguez!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM

I forgot all about 50 First Dates!

But yeah these are the types of films I am talking about...ones that focus on everyday Hawaiians and Hawaii, and not merely WWII or surfing films set in Hawaii.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Hawaii Five-0 got a lot of use out of island locations and used many locals (several in multiple roles) for smaller acting roles that the studio didn't want to spend the expense of casting in LA for.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:31 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,458 times
Duke Kahanamoku films, if you want to see an oldie. LOST TV series is filmed in Hawaii. Maybe it's a good thing, keep Hawaii exotic and not lalaland.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 PM

227 posts, read 917,921 times
Wasn't Fantasy Island filmed here? Da plane, Da plane...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii