Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 03:54 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,912 times

Advertisements

I'm an experienced nurse looking to travel to Hawaii with my husband and 2 toddlers. I've never been, but am sure it is wonderful.
I have no idea about where to ask for re: city/ suburb....would like a community hospital in a low crime, more suburbia feel kind of area.
Any suggestions for spending 3mos or more getting to know Hawaii as a family would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
Have you talked to the organizations that coordinate for the "travelling nurses"? They have 3 month "assignments" that sometimes get extended. Or, do you plan on moving permanently (? about your 3 month comment). You can get a lot of general info by reading current threads about moving to Hawaii. Yes, everything is expensive, wages are low compared to that cost of living, and the traffic on Oahu is horrendous! But most of us love it here anyhow. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza54 View Post
I'm an experienced nurse looking to travel to Hawaii with my husband and 2 toddlers. I've never been, but am sure it is wonderful.
I have no idea about where to ask for re: city/ suburb....would like a community hospital in a low crime, more suburbia feel kind of area.
Any suggestions for spending 3mos or more getting to know Hawaii as a family would be appreciated!
Hawaii isn't about city/suburbia is it about "which island". Honolulu is the only true "city" we have in the state and the rest of Oahu (the island Honolulu is on) is mostly suburbs of Honolulu. There are a few parts of Oahu which don't really seem to be suburbs, but they don't have much in the way of hospitals. The rest of the islands have at least one "town" on them, some islands only have villages.

We don't have that many hospitals that you wouldn't be able to call them all up and find out which ones are hiring. Finding the job is going to be the make or break choice, IMHO.

You could try Castle Hospital/medical facility on Oahu. That would be a nice place to work with the nice suburbia sort of location of Kailua town nearby.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:24 AM

96 posts, read 620,009 times
i know that on the big island right now hamakua area, hilo up through honoka'a and even into waimea, are actually laying off nurses etc. at some locations. you might have a bit of a difficult time as in most cases it's better to have connections to get a job. though im sure oahu or maui would have better luck as they're more populated. obviously honolulu would be best bet though it is much more crowded. i'd try and contact a few locations and ask around to see who and if anyone is hiring right now first. good luck

Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,932 times
Have you taken a look at allnurses: A Nursing Community for Nurses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii