Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,261 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Hawaii and I have five dogs. I am interested in the charter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,233 times
I am also relocating to Oahu and have one dog. I am from Boston so I would prefer the East Coast flight but would also consider the West Coast flight as well. Please let me know if you are still looking for people. Thanks

Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 AM

76 posts, read 198,288 times
Hi All! Sorry I haven't posted in a little while, I have had tons of company. Guess everyone wants to visit before we move!

First of all - I know it is risky to take an old dog on an airplane. That is why I am trying to put together a charter so he can sit right next to me. He is not ill, just old. Given the choice, I would not choose to move him to Hawaii. But we really have no choice. What am I suppose to do, drop him off at the pound? Worse yet, have him put down? Not going to Hawaii is not an option for us. Leaving our dog behind is not an option for us. So I guess our only option is how we get him there. He has moved 13 times in his 17 years, so hopefully this one will go as smooth as all the others.

As far as exact dates, tail numbers and vets names, I don't have any of that. But I do know people who have done it. I have also spoken with people at the quarantine office who have told me that they have had plenty of charter flights come in with dogs on them.

There are dozens of companies who charter airplanes. I don't have one booked yet, as I don't have an exact number of people and pets going yet, therefore I don't know what size aircraft I need. An exact date needs to be established as well. What I would like to do is wait until the end of July before setting an exact date. We thought we would be going to Hawaii mid October, but that has changed a little and we are now looking at late October or early November. I should have a better idea by the end of July. Once we have an exact date and exact number of passengers then we can get down to specifics.

Anyone who is interested in taking a charter with us, please send me a message with your details. Please tell me how you feel about traveling between October 28 - 16 November. If you don't mind sharing your email address, please put it in a PM to me. Also if you want to travel from Washington DC or LAX? Please understand, we very well might fly out of a smaller airport, as it might be less expensive. But I am using these cities as a base point.

Please understand - I realize that my dog is old and I know that anything can happen in 5 months. As of now, he is healthy and happy and there is no reason to think that he won't make it. So that is how I am planning. But I want you to know, if anything does happen, I will not just drop the ball on this. I will be happy to pass the information along to whomever wants to take over and help them out.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 15,385 times
Hi, I also live in the Washington, DC area (Reston, Va). I'm a member of Dog Travel Company, but have despaired of working out anything affordable with them. It seems to be for folks who are quite wealthy - maybe not Oprah-wealthy - but paying $4-5,000 for one dog and an additional $4-5,000 for myself - one-way- just isn't doable for me. Probably a great idea for others with lots of money. If anyone finds anything less than $2,000, please let me know. Thanks, Beverly

Old 05-20-2009, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 10,892 times
Anyone know what the specifics are for getting a service dog into Hawaii? The quarantine issues etc...?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,170 times
Hi JollyDogs,

I have looked into shipping my dog home through a shipper but the prices are pretty high, as well. Can you share with me the costs of the charter flight?

I am planning to move home ASAP and if a miracle happens and I am able to get everything done that I need to I would leave in Oct. 2009. If not...at least I would know the costs of chartering a flight, or at least the potential costs, if I could find others to travel with me.

Mahalo!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
Anyone know what the specifics are for getting a service dog into Hawaii? The quarantine issues etc...?
Call the Quarantine station directly and speak with them, the rules are basically the same but with some modifications to it.

By memory (a bit fuzzy right now ), you must follow the same microchip, rabies vaccination and testing as anyone else. But once the test is completed, you will be issued a guide/service animal test results that is good for entry for 3 years. So anytime after the certificate is issued, you don't have a time period except entering within three years. You must stay current with rabies vaccinations and have a health certificate (I think within the last 6 months). All this applies to guide and service animals that have some type of official recognition (they will give you the list of organizations that provides the certification). You can't get the guide/service animal exemption without that formal documentation as many attempted to abuse the exemption for regular pets, so your word isn’t good enough any longer. Only takes a few to ruin things for everyone.

When you make arrangements to fly to Hawaii, you will call quarantine and they will have you fax over all the proper paperwork along with your flight info. An entry permit will be sent back. This entry permit is what the airline will be looking for to let your animal in the cabin. Also, if your doctor or service animal association says you need the animal with you all the time, they complete a form that is sent to Hawaii who will issue a "Terminal Release" permit. This permit instructs the airline that the animal is not to be transported to the quarantine station and will be leaving the aircraft with you. You will be required to wait at the gate until a representative from DoA arrives (I have never heard of anyone waiting unless their plane was early) who will do the microchip check and exam at the gate. Afterwards, your free to go.

Since this is by memory (and it’s been a couple of years since I dealt with guide animals, I suggest you call Quarantine to get the exact details and the correct forms you will need.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:07 PM

76 posts, read 198,288 times
Hi B.I. Wahine!
I don't have any exact costs yet. I am unable to confirm dates until the end of July at best. As of right now, we are thinking it will be more likely that we will be traveling the first week of November. We do have several people/pets who are interested in going. As far as price, it will all depend on the number of passengers, the price of gas, etc. Once we are able to lock in dates then I will aggressively seek out charters. Until then, all I can say is that $2500 per passenger would be the goal, lower would be better but higher might be the reality. There are a few tricks of the trade which I will try when dates are more solid.
I am so very sorry to be vague. I wish I could give you more information. It just is not possible right now. But trust me when I tell you, as soon as i am able to pick dates - I am VERY motivated to make this work.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 PM

37 posts, read 201,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillhope View Post
name of the company provided the jet,jet tail #,date and time of arrival,the name of the vet inspected the dogs for release.

I mean,if this kind of flights ever happen.

I never got the answers.

This ''business'' is most likely a scam.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 AM

72 posts, read 346,770 times
StillHope, I think what happens is that you CHARTER a plane from a company that owns several planes and charters them out. The tail #, date and time of arrival is up to the person or persons chartering the plane. There are quite a bit of companies that do this...just google "charter a flight" and you will see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii