Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 AM

161 posts, read 390,342 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am trying to decide between moving to Kauai or Oahu. I am taking my job with me, I work from home, so employment is not a factor.

My two big concerns are vog and finding community/friends. I spent three months on the BI earlier this year and know that the vog makes me sick, so I want to avoid it as much as possible.

I know that Kauai gets less vog than Oahu but I'm wondering if it gets enough less to outweigh my other consideration. I'm concerned that with Kauai being so small, it will be harder to find people that I have a connection with to make friends with and date.

I've heard that Kauai is the prettiest island and that is nice, but I think I feel a little more comfortable with the idea of being somewhere with a larger population to have more social and cultural opportunities.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,017 times
usually Oahu gets Kona winds..1 a month ( winds blow over from Kona wards Oahu). from what I see, if it lasts for more than 3 days we will get vog, along with lots and lots of jelly fish.... don't go in the water you will get stung.

Mother.. Its mother natures choice as to how long it will stay. at times just a day sometimes more than a week?? as soon as the trade winds come back. the vog is gone as well as the jelly fish.

I can't say anything about Kauai. G/L

Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Since you can take your job with you, pick and island and rent for six months or a year and then move if you don't like it.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 PM

62 posts, read 332,565 times
Aloha,

I have been living on Oahu for almost two years now. There has only been one time I remember the vog being really bad - to the point where my throat felt funny after being out walking. The other poster is right that if we have vog it is usually only for a day or two before the winds blow it away. It has not been an issue for me or my family.

I love Kauai and it is very beautiful and lush. We visit there regularly and I would consider retiring there. If I were young and single it would not be my first choice, but I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a small community feel it could be right for you.

Oahu has some beautiful, lush areas too - think North Shore since commute is not a factor - and also has access to downtown Honolulu with lots of restaurants, nightlife, shopping, etc. We also have the Honolulu Symphony and Opera and many plays if you are into that.

I really like Oahu - I think it is under-rated in a way. People think Oahu is only Waikiki - but it has so much more to offer.

I also agree with the other poster to rent for six months and see what you think before committing to a longer term rental or buying something.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I am young and single and if you are looking to date, Kauai is not the place for you! You know how people always say that "the good guys are taken?" It is true on Kauai. Kauai is VERY small and I would say that many of the dateable guys move off island, as there is not as much opportunity here for young professionals. Oahu is a better choice- there are many more professional jobs and UH brings in lots of undergrad and grad students. Also, many, many younger guys here have one or more children- often by the time they are 21. I would tell you to move to Oahu, but to visit Kauai often.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
Oh and I would say that the vog levels are not much different in Kauai versus Oahu. We get it occasionally, but not so much to make it an issue. I would say that the same holds true for Oahu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: