Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 AM

21 posts, read 62,607 times

Advertisements

We have shih tzu's and limited airlines will let you take them on their airline to hawaii because of their shorter nose and they can't keep themselves cool enough for that long a flight. So will have to plan on moving in a winter months, we thought driving to the west coast so the flight is shorter for them. Just want to know what your experience was with the airlines your choose.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:08 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats307 View Post
We have shih tzu's and limited airlines will let you take them on their airline to hawaii because of their shorter nose and they can't keep themselves cool enough for that long a flight. So will have to plan on moving in a winter months, we thought driving to the west coast so the flight is shorter for them. Just want to know what your experience was with the airlines your choose.
Thanks!
Continental Airlines, year-round. Try a SEARCH. Lots of info.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 PM

That is the airline that had recommendations from the consulting vet on how to travel with shih tzu's so they must be aware of issues they have had with this breed. I'm scared to death to travel with my girls so covering all bases to make it a easy move for them also. Northwest & Delta have a restriction they can't fly unless the outside temp is 75 degrees..how often will that happen in Hawaii!!! United says no travel for this breed 6/1 to 9/30. I was leaning towards Continental hoping others had a good experience. Even looked into cruises but only one takes dogs and they dont' go to hawaii, darn!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Continental has the "Pet Safe Program". Their term for it.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
I just moved from Hawaii to NY and flew Continental. They are my favorite airline, so of course I chose them with the Pet Safe program to go back to the mainland. I'm pretty sure it was just the Honolulu Cargo Facility and not the whole program, but it was a disaster. My dogs made it safe and sound, but the check-in was jaw-dropping. The lady who checked me in had NO clue what she was doing. I seriously almost wanted to tell them to forget it. Then I asked a superior if they could let me know when the dogs were on the plane and he said absolutely not. I know this is a lie because this is a common practice among airlines (and the manager comfirmed this with me after I complained). I have since complained to Continental (and I am NOT a complainer) and I've been in touch with the manager of the cargo facility in Honolulu. By the time we landed in Newark 10 hours later, the dogs had not been fed like they were supposed to (it was obvious the bags were never touched) and I'm almost certain they had very little/no water as they both downed 2 full water bottles (my dogs are both less than 20lbs).

I would recommend Continental normally, but just wanted to tell you my experience. If I ever move somewhere again, I will not be flying.

When I originally moved to Hawaii, we flew United and it was a breeze. They were extremely accomodating - let me know when the dogs were on board and even moved my seat to the front of the aircraft so that I could know immediately.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Location: Winston, Oregon check it out at www.michellesehouseforsale.blogspot.com
18 posts, read 105,057 times
I flew Hawaiian from Seattle to Honolulu with my 4 1/2 Chihuahua and had zero problems. When boarding the plane I asked to confirm my dog was on board, the stewardress checked and came back to tell me that she had confirmed that there were 3 dogs on board and they were scheduled to have 3 dogs, but she couldn't tell me specifically if mine was there. We arrived at Honolulu with no problems. For the flight from Honolulu to Kahalui I transfered the dog to a smaller soft kennel and was able to have him as a carryon.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:25 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
What Island do you want to end up on? I'm moving to the BI and I haven't found a Continental flight to Kona ( the only airport on the BI that will do a direct release. ) and I dont want to sit in HNL and wait for the release then hope I make my next flight.

Last edited by KoaKine; 08-12-2009 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: spelling of course lol

Old 08-12-2009, 06:08 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,006 times
My friend just flew off a few months ago with a pug.......used continental and didn't have an issue.....travelling in the winter will be easier to find airlines that are willing to ship, but honestly I'd use continental. We are flying off the island next Tuesday and moving (sniff sniff) and booked our terrier on continental and their customer service has been fantastic!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 PM

We are heading to Maui and have heard once released we can take them in a soft carrier under the seat on hawaiian air. Figured we would wait in hnl until they are released then take a flight over. I hope to have all our ducks in a row or should I say pups in a row so it will be easier on the girls. Now the kids are grown and gone they are my babies so have to make this move as least tramatic for them as I can.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:53 PM

29 posts, read 111,663 times
Default Hawaiian Airlines

We flew 3 dogs in December from Phoenix to Honolulu. One of them was a Shih tzu. All did great. When I picked them up they were all very relaxed and happy sitting in their kennels. Hawaiian airlines was great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: