Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,399 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We are weighing the possibilities of returning (yes, returning!) to Hawaii. We lived in Aiea back in 2005, and after just a year there, (we moved from Texas), my husband was transferred back to the mainland, to Phoenix. Since our transfer, we have lived in Las Vegas, San Diego, and are again, recently living in Phoenix. I am desparately wanting to move back to Hawaii, but this time, we are looking at possibly the Big Island or Maui.

He is a flight attendant, for a carrier that does not operate out of any of the islands, so he would have to be able to commute into San Francisco, therefore, we would have to live somewhat near an airport. I used to work at Title Guaranty (on Queen Street), and would hope to return to work there. I know they have multiple office locations. I'm hoping to line up a job prior to our move, so suggestions of where to look are welcomed.

Our questions are....
1. Have the cost of things gone up considerably in the last few years?
2. How is the job market these days? We're aware that unemployment is high just about everywhere.
3. We have never been to any of the islands so we're not sure of how to compare things. Is living on the other islands anything like that of Oahu? We paid about $1500/mo for a 729sq ft 2 bedroom apartment in a highrise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,126 times
I'm kind of out of the Hawaii loop but I'll give it a shot. Depends on where on the BI, housing can be downright cheap. Hilo area has had quite a drop in prices (for buying at least), not sure how the renting is. Renting outside of Hilo when I was there couple years ago now (wow time flies), 3 bed 2 bath house on 1/4 - 1/2 acre for about 1000 - 1500 depending on location. I imagine it's probably cheaper now and you could probably find those prices in Hilo town itself. If you're going to buy, I suggest checking out Zillow.com for prices, great site. For renting, craigslist is worth a shot. Kona side is still inflated I believe, but probably less so than years prior.

Some rental links :

A Sweet Plantation Cottage (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/apa/1317014072.html - broken link)

House with Large yard, Shed, Storage! (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/apa/1317008557.html - broken link)

***Penthouse condo* WOW views* furnished*quiet!*utilities paid** (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/apa/1315023446.html - broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Check out the Hawaii Tribune Herald on-line edition for rentals; there are hundreds.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the info...any idea about jobs out there? How expensive are regular grocery items? I believe we paid somewhere around $6/gal milk back when we lived there in 2004-05.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
Thanks for the info...any idea about jobs out there? How expensive are regular grocery items? I believe we paid somewhere around $6/gal milk back when we lived there in 2004-05.
I would check the Hawaii Tribune Herald; though I imagine there really aren't a whole lot (never were tons on the east side of the BI, anyway). Umm I went to Walmart to shop so while things were than the mainland (milk, OJ and the like), I saw cereals that were like $2 a box, which is comparable to here. As for other foods, more expensive but I didn't personally find it outrageous. If you shop at Safeway or the like, you're gonna get ganked on the price, just as you would anywhere . There's a costco on Kona, which is a drive from Hilo.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:56 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,783 times
Quote:
Try these Foodland

http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/V...alse#iframetop

milk isnt $6 a gallon

Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Since your husband will be commuting to the mainland for work, you may want to look at Oahu since there will always be a direct flight to the mainland from that island. There are occasionally direct flights to and from the outer islands, but they come and go while there are ALWAYS direct mainland flights to Oahu. It would just be an additional hour's flight to the mainland, but he'd have to change airplanes and switch from one side of the terminal to another and there is usually at least an hour or more between flights so he'd have to wait in the terminal. It would be an additional hassle as if commuting to the mainland isn't enough of a hassle.

The cost of things everywhere has gone up in the past few years, however, things in Hawaii are about as more expensive than the mainland now as they were then.

The job market sucks, but if your husband has a job he can commute to, then that wouldn't be such a problem. If you can bring a mainland salary to Hawaii things are much easier. Even in good times, the job market in Hawaii is primarily service oriented $10 to $14 an hour jobs. With everything costing so much more here than on the mainland, it would perhaps be similar to trying to live on a minimum wage job in many mainland states.

You can check online versions of the newspaper as well as Craig's List for rental prices. November 2005 was the top of the market as far as housing goes around here so things should be the same or less than they were then. At the moment there are loads of rentals available since folks who can't afford their mortgages are trying to rent them out instead of going bankrupt.

Living on the outer islands is nothing like living on Oahu. There is a lot less of everything on the outer islands. That can be good, that can also be bad. Less traffic, but less jobs. Less congestion but less places to shop. Less hospitals but at least Oahu is only an hour's plane ride away. Things are much slower on the outer islands. In our local town things have gotten 100% faster, we now have TWO movies a week we can see at the local theater. Whoohoo! It used to be just one movie a week so we now have to contain ourselves from excess excitement.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:51 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
UhOh... Here goes the price of milk thread again!

I have paid right at $4 gallon for 2% milk since we got here in June. I shop KTA, Safeway and FoodLand and refuse to buy products that are not "on sale". We stock up on items that are priced right. Smart shoppers can buy groceries for just a little more than mainland prices.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Great information!! Thanks!!

Hotcatz, Excellent point...being able to commute from Oahu compared to switching planes from somewhere else. With that, I believe we're leaning more towards Oahu again. Yes, he will be able to keep his mainland salary when we move, so that is definitely a blessing. When we lived there before, we didnt have an opportunity to scout around the island much...just went with the first rental that was available, which was in Aiea (across from Pearlridge Mall). Hopefully, we can get into the same area this time 'round.

We discussed the move in detail, and it looks like we're going to come over late Aug and try to see what may be available rental-wise...just to get a feel of the area again. Then our plans are to definitely find a place sometime in Sept. and fly over (stand-by--UGH!) loading up the suitcases and put things into storage over there...and finally ship the furniture & car last when we're actually ready to move in. Hopefully we'll be situated by Thanksgiving! I don't know if I want to try and unload a 3 bedroom home via suitcases!

I've already started applying for jobs...so hopefully interviews will be around the corner!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 AM

Are any of you familiar with West Point Relocation? I requested a move quote from them the other day and they seem reasonable...we moved to Hawaii last time with Matson....just wondering...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii