Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,783 times

Advertisements

Happy 50th Birthday Hawaii !

What are your views on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:30 AM

219 posts, read 571,027 times
Hawaii didn't exist before 1959?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
Hawaii didn't exist before 1959?
Good one!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,783 times
Ha Ha nope wasnt on the map at all!

Statehood Birthday!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:19 PM

Well then, Happy Statehood Birthday, Hawaii.
Having you with us is great. And it more than makes up for that Alaska thing.
See you in a couple of months.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM

312 posts, read 1,374,579 times
i think Hawai'i and Alaska both, even if there is some happiness on their Statehood days, should consider it in deep and almost sad thought as to not forget how it actually happened. Heck, I hope every American considers it on Thanksgiving as well.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Although it sounds neat/cool, whatever at first glance...

I shudder to think about what would happen if the very small minority get their wish and Hawaii becomes an independent country. Hawaii would lose way more than they would gain. As a state, they are struggling now. If they lost all the federal help, they would basically die as an independent country. There is virtually zero manufacturing or other industry besides tourism and the welfare situation is unbelievable.

There is no way that Hawaii as an independent country could support itself in the current world economy.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:46 PM

I wasn't aware there was a significant "independence" movement going on. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.
There was a certain element in Texas recently that suggested independence. And the Quebec thing has been going on for a long time.
A total disaster for them if it ever happened.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:33 PM

252 posts, read 660,048 times
Default SOVEREIGN STATE - I think

I think (if im not mistaken) Hawaii wants to become a Sovereign State:

Which means that they do not want to exclude themselves from the US as one of the states (they still want what the US has to offer them) but they - well here is the Definition of:

SOVEREIGN STATE. One which governs itself independently of any foreign power.
SOVEREIGNTY. The union and exercise of all human power possessed in a state; it is a combination of all power; it is the power to do everything in a state without accountability; to make laws, to execute and to apply them: to impose and collect taxes, and, levy, contributions; to make war or peace; to form treaties of alliance or of commerce with foreign nations, and the like. Story on the Const. §207.

Atleast that is what a local from Hawaii explained to me - what some were wanting. I could be wrong but I think that is what they said as when I asked "so Hawaii would not want to be part of the US anymore?" and they said no - Hawaii still wants to be part of the US but want Sovereignty. I could be way off but that is how I understood it to be.

Idaho wanted that also at one time (some still do as I hear people bring it up occassionally) I think a few states have at one point or another. Even in Idaho you hear how some believe Idaho Illigally become a state etc.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:44 PM

202 posts, read 1,075,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Although it sounds neat/cool, whatever at first glance...

I shudder to think about what would happen if the very small minority get their wish and Hawaii becomes an independent country. Hawaii would lose way more than they would gain. As a state, they are struggling now. If they lost all the federal help, they would basically die as an independent country. There is virtually zero manufacturing or other industry besides tourism and the welfare situation is unbelievable.

There is no way that Hawaii as an independent country could support itself in the current world economy.
they were an independent country until the u.s. decided to put their flag there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii