Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 05:08 PM

7 posts, read 25,681 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Was planning on bringing my surfboard (a 6'8" Canyon) to Hawaii, but now I'm wondering if it would be better to leave it behind and pickup a used board on the island. I'm a newbie-beginner, and I know there's a big controversy over boards made overseas (like the Canyon), but it's been really good to me. I just don't know if, after the $100 airplane luggage fee, it would make sense to bring it. Will I need a different board for the waves in HI?

Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 05:13 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Do you have a hard case? There are some rentals that have a variety of sticks you can choose from besides the sponges. I got my big wave gun torn up cause I only had a soft case. Never did ride the same after the shop fixed it.

If it's not pumping just leave your stick and rent one. Heck just talk to the locals and see if you can use one for 20 bucks.

Plus if it's big wave gun stuff you probably don't want any part of it, seriously. Where you plan to surf?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Depending on where you surf, you will want a different board. I had a baby tanker made special for the little mushy Waikiki waves once and it wouldn't be anything you'd take out to any of the other spots but it worked great in that area. Guns with harder rails work better for the North Shore stuff. Lots of folks used to like tankers out at Makaha, though. You can look on Craig's List and probably buy a board or two for less than the price of bringing one.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 25,681 times
Thanks you guys - I was planning on moving to the island in a couple months, so I'll be surfing the leeward side of Oahu to start. Won't be trying out the North Shore for a while.

I got the Canyon because (at my size) it's so floaty. It's stable, wide and easy to paddle out (good for catching smaller New England waves). Hard to duckdive, but I think I just suck right now. BUT I wear a wetsuit out here (adds around 15 pounds of weight). How's that going to change the ride in HI?

I have a soft case. Was going to get a bunch of old surfboard packaging from the local surfshop and ducttape it to my rails...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: