Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:13 PM

19 posts, read 105,001 times

Advertisements

Dogs travel in style in flights to isles - Hawaii News - Starbulletin.com

I'm glad we moved our dogs before I saw this, or we would have felt like we HAD to do one of these flights to minimize our concerns. And because it's waaaay too expensive, we would have postponed the flight or perhaps even never moved them at all due to cost. Since no Dogtravel flights were available (I had emailed them over and over, asking, and trying to find information on an upcoming charter last year with no real success), we finally flew the dogs in baggage. Everything went fine and we are glad we did it, and it looks like we saved over $10,000. They are so happy to be here!

Last edited by 7th generation; 11-26-2008 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 04:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
Animals aren't generally as fussy as folks think they are. If the dogs have their own crate that they sleep in (dogs actually LIKE having and sleeping in a crate) and they get shipped in their crate they don't get all that upset. Generally it's their human being worried and getting nervous that gets them upset. In some countries dogs routinely ride in the boot (trunk) of a car that can't be much better than cargo on a plane. One of our dogs has flown inter-island quite a few times and he's been real calm and fairly bored by the whole thing since he's in his crate and there's no ball to chase.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 PM

19 posts, read 105,001 times
I agree hotzcatz! Since the trip the dogs have returned to their crates often as a comfy spot to hang out, one's in there now. As we sat cramped in our upright airplane seats, tray tables in the way, we joked about how the dogs have it better than us, being able to lie down, stretch out and roll over. I wished I had a cushioned carpeted crate big enough to stand up, turn around and lie down in (airline requirements for pet crates) with my pillow, blanket and snacks for the 5+ hour flight! In the cabin the dogs would have to wear harness seatbelts.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,186,816 times

are you kidding -- wow saw this as a topic on forum before - thought it would be kinda cool but the cost - are you kidding?? I don't care how much $$$ you have what a waste! Or even how much your dog is worth! Mine is my family worth more than $$ but sheezz I wont even splurge for the first class for myself! (well not often!) who did you fly with and when??? Looking into it for me -- as I maybe transplanting... Thanks

Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
I dunno about flying between the mainland and Hawaii, our dogs just used to go inter-island. Our bigger dog used to be small enough to fit under the seat and he flew twice that way. When he got bigger, he had to go in cargo and he didn't seem too concerned about it since he was already used to his crate. When it is time to get in his crate, we just open the door and he hops right in, settles onto his blanket and meditatively chews on a toy. When he fit under the seat he was free and he was "checked baggage" for a couple of times which took up the place of a suitcase but wasn't additional expenses. Once he was $20 each way and now he gets to stay home with a house sitter since the prices have gotten too expensive. I forget exactly how much they are now, but there's now two dogs and that just makes it way too expensive. The airlines have also cut down on the amount of luggage we can take with us so that doesn't help, either.

If you are planning on bringing a dog to Hawaii, the best thing IMHO is to get him a dog crate now and let him sleep in it so he will be used to the crate and it will be home for him. It will also help him move to a new location since even though he is in a new place, he will still have his "home" with him. Dogs like dens, they enjoy them. There are some dog crates which look like end tables, too, so they can blend into the furniture better. Dunno if those can be shipped or not, but maybe. So when it comes time for the airplane ride, he will be comfortable and happy in cargo while you get to sit in cramped seats and worry about him.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:59 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
So when it comes time for the airplane ride, he will be comfortable and happy in cargo while you get to sit in cramped seats and worry about him.
Right on, Hotzcatz!

I wish you had said that the first time this subject came up! It's perfect.

Hank

Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 20,194 times
Default For Has2Dogs...

Hi. Not sure if anyone's still posting in this thread? I also have two dogs (Labs 3 years old) and have been considering the DogTravel Charters. You said that your dogs are happy there -- is the hot tropical weather hard on them? Are there many health problems for dogs in Hawaii?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 PM

682 posts, read 2,796,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joie2 View Post
Hi. Not sure if anyone's still posting in this thread? I also have two dogs (Labs 3 years old) and have been considering the DogTravel Charters. You said that your dogs are happy there -- is the hot tropical weather hard on them? Are there many health problems for dogs in Hawaii?

Thanks!
My dog is part husky, and is doing fine with the weather. She sheds a lot, and on really hot days she just wants to lie in the shade. But it was the same where we used to live. The temps here year round are milder than the summer temps in Boston, so on the whole I think she's happier. Plus... the beach has soooo many interesting smells!!

As for health problems: fleas & ticks year-round. We had a hard time when we first got here... we were using Frontline Plus (the shoulder application), and she had an absolute flea infestation, but only on her hind legs. It was like the stuff wasn't making its way there or something??? Anyway, we worked with our vet to figure out a system that works, and she's flea-free for a while now (knock wood).

Heartworm is a big problem here. You have to be vigilant with the heartworm preventative or your dog will get sick.

There's also poison toads (though I've only ever seen mushed ones in the road... they might be more prevalent in less built-up areas), which can be a concern if you leave your dogs outside & unattended. I guess the toads find their way to the water bowls.

You might want to check out Toni Palancy's book "The Hawaii Pet Book: Keeping your Cat and Dog Healthy, Happy, and Housed in the Tropics" if you have more questions.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 15,390 times
Sorry to disagree. The American Humane Association says it's cruel and inhumane to place a dog in cargo - and my vet totally agrees. I've talked to numerous folks who've described the shape their dog was in when they were finally able to pick it up, and I've read horror story after horror story. Just refuse to do that to my sweetie-pie. I agree though, that few can afford the incredible fees to charter a plane and get your dog beside you in cabin (certainly not within my pocketbook), and am looking for a pet airline that will do so. I've heard several people lately speak of them, but haven't been able to find details. if i do, I'll post and share. We dog-lovers gotta stick together! GOODLUCK!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,975 times
I had nothing better to do so I went to the AmericanHumane.org website and found this:

If traveling by plane, book direct non-stop flights. Inform flight attendants that you have a pet in cargo, if it is unable to be in the cabin with you.

It doesn't sound like they are saying it is cruel and inhumane to place a dog in cargo, but that's just the result of two minutes of searching.

Bob

EDIT : I apologize. I went back to that website and read the very next line.

"As a general rule, puppies and kittens, sick animals, animals in heat, and frail or pregnant animals should not travel by air. Animals that are "pug-nosed" should not fly in the cargo area of a plane. If your animal is too large to fly in the cabin with you, perhaps a stay at the boarding kennel would be a safer choice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: