Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:23 AM

270 posts, read 506,369 times

Advertisements

Some folks just like stirring up emotions with comments. Outside, exterior, appearances, and "looks" to form judgmental evaluations of anything or anyone, are wrong minded. Whether it is gender based preferences, origins, or cultural, it is all wrong to do. The first mistake is seeing others as different, because we are ALL human beings and the same. Preferences are one thing, but making proactive negative words and actions are another huge "wrong". If we all treat each other with respect we can eliminate the entire subject of "differences".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:55 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
Some folks just like stirring up emotions with comments. Outside, exterior, appearances, and "looks" to form judgmental evaluations of anything or anyone, are wrong minded. Whether it is gender based preferences, origins, or cultural, it is all wrong to do. The first mistake is seeing others as different, because we are ALL human beings and the same. Preferences are one thing, but making proactive negative words and actions are another huge "wrong". If we all treat each other with respect we can eliminate the entire subject of "differences".
Considering that this topic was started by a "gaijin in Japan" who considers themselves "haole" in Hawai'i, dichotomies are "par for the course." For Japan, the dichotomy is "Nihonjin" (Japanese person) vis-à-vis "gaijin" (alien). For Hawai'i, the dichotomy is "local" vis-à-vis "non-local." However, isn't it somewhat judgmental to say that it's "wrong" for people to notice the differences among different populations?

Old 10-02-2011, 04:54 PM

61 posts, read 227,778 times
I just came back from Honolulu on a trip with 11 friends ranging from Filipino, Vietnamese, Chinese, Malay and Laotian.

Everyone thought we were locals. I guess if you're a "tourist" looking Asian then you may get a hard time but I felt fine and went clubbing at all local spots and had no trouble at all.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:16 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, this particularly Asian guy did look like he just arrived, and hardly spoke any English whatsoever.

Tons of very Asian-Hawaiian looking people, and I can't imagine them having that happen to them in the same scenario.

I think he was trying to target non-locals in general. There are a lot of foreign Asian tourists who visit Oahu...so that might have triggered it.

The old generation Asian people (Japanese to be specific) did sometimes show racism toward whites....but Hawaiians toward Asians, I've never heard of it personally.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:44 AM

22 posts, read 84,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Considering that this topic was started by a "gaijin in Japan" who considers themselves "haole" in Hawai'i, dichotomies are "par for the course." For Japan, the dichotomy is "Nihonjin" (Japanese person) vis-à-vis "gaijin" (alien). For Hawai'i, the dichotomy is "local" vis-à-vis "non-local." However, isn't it somewhat judgmental to say that it's "wrong" for people to notice the differences among different populations?
Are you stating an opinion OR asking a question with that last sentence? UFO alarmists always say: "Could it BE aliens landed at .....is it POSSIBLE aliens are HERE"?? Questions formed to make a statement are ludicrous. To answer you; the original comments made did NOT say as you indicate...what WAS stated is "seeing" ...meaning perceptions of others rather than overt VISION, and assigning subsequent valuations to some internal checklist. Thanks for the semester credit in word derivations. Who knew?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Paradise View Post
Are you stating an opinion OR asking a question with that last sentence? UFO alarmists always say: "Could it BE aliens landed at .....is it POSSIBLE aliens are HERE"?? Questions formed to make a statement are ludicrous. To answer you; the original comments made did NOT say as you indicate...what WAS stated is "seeing" ...meaning perceptions of others rather than overt VISION, and assigning subsequent valuations to some internal checklist. Thanks for the semester credit in word derivations. Who knew?
It was a rhetorical question. While rhetorical questions aren't necessarily "ludicrous", attempts to answer them often are.

So let's go back to the original statement that elicited my rhetorical question...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
Now, look at the "modified statement" below...
Quote:
Some folks just like stirring up emotions with comments. In my opinion, using outside, exterior "appearances" or "looks" to form judgmental evaluations of anything or anyone is "wrong-minded." Furthermore, those judgmental evaluations are often flawed, whether they are based on gender, ethnicity, or cultural origins. Often, the biggest mistake that people make is perceiving others as "different", because we are ALL human beings and are all pretty much the same. Preferences are one thing, but I consider making proactive negative words and actions another huge "wrong." If we all treat each other with respect perhaps we can eliminate the entire subject of "differences."
While the "modified statement" might be the sentiment that you wished to convey, the original statement was all that we were given to work with. And unfortunately, it comes across like missionaries going to Hawai'i and telling the locals that it's "wrong" to perform hula.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:19 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I think thats why so many people from India get mistaken for arabs in the US (and killed)...

Where does this happen?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post

Where does this happen?
Mesa, Arizona for starters...
The First 9/11 Backlash Fatality: The Murder of Balbir Singh Sodhi « SALDEF

And, Elk Grove, California...
Attack on two Sikh men seen as possible hate crime

Old 10-11-2011, 10:24 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The first article was about a man from India being mistaken for a Muslim not an Arab.

The second article provided no motive for the murders.

My quote was to the person that referred to "so many people" (from India) being "mistaken for Arab in the US(and killed)...".

I have yet to hear of anyone from India being mistaken for an Arab in the US and killed.

Being a Muslim does not mean you are an Arab. Being an Arab does not mean you are a Muslim.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
The first article was about a man from India being mistaken for a Muslim not an Arab.

The second article provided no motive for the murders.
Unfortunately, the media in the United States often fails to make the distinction between Arabs and Muslims. Here's a article about the Balbir Singh Sodhi murder that uses the word "Arab"...
Brother of Sikh murdered after 9/11 educates community - East Valley Tribune: Arizona

Quote:
My quote was to the person that referred to "so many people" (from India) being "mistaken for Arab in the US(and killed)...".

I have yet to hear of anyone from India being mistaken for an Arab in the US and killed.
Some Sikhs from India (such as Balbir Singh Sodhi) have been mistaken for "Arab" or "Muslim" in the U.S. and have been victims of prejudice, discrmination, hate crimes, and murders.
Sikhism: News Archive of Hate Crime Against Sikhs

The turbans that some Sikhs wear might be part of the reason for the "mistaken identity"...
Good Guys Wear Turbans

Quote:
Being a Muslim does not mean you are an Arab. Being an Arab does not mean you are a Muslim.
True, but most Americans that are prone to mistake Indians for "Arabs" don't bother to make that distinction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: