Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,505 times

Advertisements

Last Sunday we were driving around to see some properties and planned ahead (packed a lunch) found our selves up buy Volcano and decided to have lunch we went to a quiet spot walked out to the rim of the crater and sat down on the edge had lunch. As we relaxed we found ourselves hearing the sounds of the lava rumbling. So when you find your selves going to see the volcano this could be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,520,618 times
We went up last Saturday! Had a great time, hiking around places like Devastation Trail (paved pathway) and going through Thurston Lava Tube; all the way to the dark, dark end. Even drove down Chain of Craters Road to the ocean where there was almost no one around. Was one of the clearest days I have seen up that way this year. Spectacular views of both Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea at the same time!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 10,623 times
Just got back from the big island...in my 5 days I put on almost 600 miles on the rental car...you do the math. Saw turtles on the black sand beach, snorkeled every day and did the sunset dinner cruise out of Kona...highly recommended if you at all like Captain Cook or his history. The dinner cruise had LT Smooth on there so it was tops speaking with him too (and hearing him play). Drinks are $5 so enjoy! Ate the Sumo at Ken's in Hilo...

Kona has a walmart in case you need some cheap stuff and the stuff is even made in Hawaii - tshirts and aloha shirts. Go figure.

It's a long drive to the volcano if you go via Kona (long windy slow road)...best to go through Waimea and then through Hilo...

Coffee is $25 a pound...well worth it! It's more than that if you buy smaller quantities in the ABC Store so be warned.

The Kona side has awesome snorkeling but you need fins and a snorkel that drains water...they all have this nowadays but be warned if you have on OLD one...the winds kick up in the afternoon and really add chop to the water. You should see turtles if you get out deep enough (not very really).

If you get to the volcano early, you can do the long 4 mile hike...if you get there late afternoon, be prepared to drive home in the dark.

Look for any roadside chicken plate sellers - like "GJ's Huli Chicken/Pork Ribs/Beef Ribs" awesome food for $7.50 a plate (BIG). Stop at the roadside fruit seller in South Kohala - awesome pineapple - explain whether you want to eat it that same day or in a couple of days - makes a difference. The mango is awesome too.

Spencer Park, Hawaii:

South Kohala Fruit Stand:

Enjoy.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,605,986 times
Thank you Koa, MD, and Gorgar!

1 week til I fly out - can hardly believe it! So excited to see the volcano and hike around there.

Am thinking we might splurge for a zip line tour, too. I think someone here said they have one near Hawi? Will have to read back through the notes and see.

Omigosh - breathe...breathe!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 AM

Read back - it was nwcountrygal with the zip line info - from Luke's in Hawi Will go Google it now

Oh man, and I could go for one of those chicken plates gorgar mentioned!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,620 times
Hope you have a great trip! Please come back and post your thoughts and experiences when you return.

A couple of thoughts on Big Island snorkelling:

Kahalu'u is pretty amazing. It's popular, and often crowded, but that doesn't stop the fish and turtles from swimming right up close to you. I'm a bit of a timid swimmer so I like to go there first to get my feet wet and gain confidence.

Kealakekua is pretty, but the snorkeling isn't all that interesting unless you swim all the way out to the monument (or rent a kayak or go by boat - but I like my snorkeling free and on my own timeline). But if you go early (7 or 8 am has worked for me) you may see the dolphins. Last week the spinners were jumping and playing around a few lucky snorkelers. (We're also a big fan of the coffee from Kona Farms, on the way down the hill to the bay - and if you have a sweet tooth, grab a little baggie of their "Espresso Bites" cookies!)

I really like "A Bay" (full name is Anaehoomalu Bay), up north of the airport. Good beach, nice facilities, and we had a great time snorkeling with fish and turtles.

And don't rule out the Hilo side for snorkeling! If you're over there and have time, hop in the water at Richardson's (head to the right for the nice black sand beach). We saw turtles, lots of fish, and very pretty coral there.

When you're in Hilo, Akaka Falls and Rainbow Falls are both beautiful and easy to get to.

And since you mentioned fair skin...I recommend a nice big hat. I picked mine up at Garden Exchange in Hilo, a big straw thing that gave me a chance against the midday sun. My other strategy is to start exploring early in the morning, and take a break (or dive deeper into the jungle) when it heats up.

And one last tip...start planning now for your return trip, since you're bound to want to get more time on this beautiful island!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,016,475 times
I spaced these links earlier! Sorry....here they are:

Holuakoa Cafe and Gardens, Holualoa

The Coffee Shack, 100% Kona Coffee

Hana Hou Bakery | Yelp

Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 AM

145 posts, read 451,441 times
I've never been to Hawaii myself so I can't offer advise, but I just wanted to say, "OMG SO excited for you - your trip is just ONE WEEK away, now!" I want to hear all about it when you get back!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 PM

Thank you Tgrey, Bella, and Blooming!

Good tip for my fair skin!

Looking forward to checking out those links.

Bestowing the "sweetest post" award on blooming Thanks for sharing in my excitement!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:08 PM

160 posts, read 486,243 times
OOh yeah forgot to mention what everyone else has. Make sure to come back and tell us what you thought of these places, and of course, when you're coming back =D Would love to see some pictures too!
If you go to the fruit stand suggested by gorgar, or anyone for that matter, make sure to try some WHITE pineapple!!!

Last edited by Badatta2de; 04-30-2010 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii