Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:23 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

I hope the new Hawaii Five-O is a successful show. For us that remember this classic show as well as its theme song. The new show may not be able to live up to the original but lets hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM

145 posts, read 451,150 times
I am in the happy position of only having extremely vague memories of the original. Actually, without googling, I'm not even sure I was born when the original series aired. I recall the theme music playing but it seems like it might have been in the afternoon (so maybe it was in syndication). That means I won't really be comparing it to the original and don't really have any prejudice of what it should be like. ;-)

Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
From what I read the directors and producers are top notch with films like the lastest Star Trek and Mission Impossible III. Also other TV series CSI (NY) and Fringe.

I'm going to try and keep and open mind when I watch and try and not compare it too much with the old series and Jack Lord.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:03 PM

229 posts, read 929,343 times
Anybody know if there are Polynesians in the cast? (besides extras, I mean). I sure hope they update the inter-ethnic relationships of the old show. The bossy white guy in a suit has been done already.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:12 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I hope the new Hawaii Five-O is a successful show. For us that remember this classic show as well as its theme song. The new show may not be able to live up to the original but lets hope so.
Plus one!

LOVED the show!

Old 05-24-2010, 06:05 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,518 times
I became obsessed with all things Hawaiian when I was a kid, and my dad and I watched Hawaii Five-O religiously. It was many years before I actually visited Hawaii, and I evenutally married a Hilo gal. We've been watching the original series on DVD, and it's been fun. On the one hand, the show is very much of its time, and some of the plots and dialogue are pretty silly. My wife enjoys pointing out when McGarrett says he's driving on some particular road, but it's actually on the other side of Oahu. On the other hand, some episodes still hold up as great TV, and many of the themes explored were cutting-edge when the show first aired. And of course the theme song is arguably the best TV theme song of all time. I never tire of hearing it.

I hope the new version is good. I'm surprised they abandoned the idea of making it about McGarrett's son (i.e., Hawaii Five-O: The Next Generation), because I think it's going to be more difficult to update the original. Surely they'll have to update it so the non-haole cops are on more equal footing with McGarrett. One of the silliest moments from the original involved Chin Ho telling McGarrett that he'd found a witness to the crime of the week. McGarrett: "Find out what he saw." Chin Ho: "Good idea, boss -- let me go back and ask him." Ah, those brilliant haoles!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 AM

219 posts, read 570,957 times
O'Loughlin can speak "American" as easily as Australian.
I doubt they would have him speaking "Australian" unless there was a reason for it.
I enjoy the old Hawaii Five-0 shows on our trips to Maui. One of the Honolulu stations seems to have it on at least once a day.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:13 PM

94 posts, read 319,022 times
Yeah, I actually help run market research calls, and I can tell you, they are far from scientific.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:18 PM

364 posts, read 991,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Market research sucks. I bet a lot of shows wouldn't exist if the brass went solely by market research
Actually networks do indeed go solely by market research. They need to prove to advertisers that they have the shows that are capable of selling their products. And they need to prove that they have the audience so they can charge premium ad rates. That is how networks primarily earn their revenue - from ad dollars.

Market research goes on continually in network television. I know as I worked for NBC before that blowhard Zucker came and took the network from 1st to last place. CBS is meticulous in their market research. They even have a market research center at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. That is why it is surprising that they are airing this show with O'Loughlin and Caan as these two were not liked. Les Moonves, CBS Chairman, believes that the Hawaii Five-O brand can succeed despite the negative research.

And I hope it does. I was a fan of the original as a kid, I learned how to play the theme on the piano and I've been waiting for a new series or movie for a very long time. I am definitely excited by this show.

But I am a little bothered by the fact that their own research shows that the two main characters, or rather actors, are not liked. CBS has a talent deal with O'Loughlin which is why they are using him (CBS will do their damndest to force O'Loughlin down our throats); not sure why they are using Scott Caan. Network market research determines the likability of actors which is a main factor on if they are cast.

Again, I'm hoping it's a hit. But if it turns out to be a disappointment, then you'll know the reason why.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM

219 posts, read 570,957 times
Depends entirely on quality of writing and how O'Loughlin interprets the character.
If he tries to be Jack Lord, he will fail.
But he's not gonna do that.
Market research is not foolproof.
Market research convinced Pontiac to produce the Aztec.

Last edited by Mick St John; 05-25-2010 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: