Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times

Advertisements

I got a call from my insurance agent who informed me I would be getting a letter from my medigap insurer of a sizable increase. The first of the year I had a 30% increase and now it sounds as though they are going up by 40-50%. I am still trying to decipher the reason the insurance agent gave me which made no sense at all. (He sounded like one of our politicians). I am meeting with him to discuss other options this week.

This amounts to a fair sum of money I think many seniors would have trouble with paying. I have friend who had prostate cancer and opted for radiation treatments. At the end of these treatments he told me he got a bill from the radiologist for $16,000. I told him Medicare would pay it. He told me that was the bill after Medicare paid their share. He claims he cannot afford a medigap policy. He is paying the radiologist $100 a month. If he gets hit with another major illness I have no idea how he will pay it. He will probably end up losing his home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 PM

176 posts, read 583,826 times
Who was the medigap insurer, how much were the premiums and what type policy (A, F, N...)?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 PM

197 posts, read 212,942 times
I know that people say they can't afford supplemental Medicare insurance (Medigap or Advantage). In reality, they can't afford not to have it.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
We've received our notice of rate change.....I think it's $4 a month.
Medigap F.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
When seniors are trying to live on $1000 a month any increase in medigap insurance is too much. Generally after a few years in retirement for most seniors their savings are gone. It is just sad to see people who have worked all their lives for a modest home only to lose it for medical reasons. Many seniors are often forced to make a decision between medications or food. Of course you don't have posts on forums like this one from them because the one cost that is first to go is usually the internet.
If you are in a position to pay your medigap insurance then you should count your blessings and pray for those that cannot.

I have plan N.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Well, if you live in a larger metro area where the Advantage plans are popular you might try them. But they too have co-pays which can add up if you are in poorer health.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 AM

176 posts, read 583,826 times
The situation with Plan N is that it is a new plan. Some insurers like Mutual of Omaha in order to gain market share started with low prices, did not do medical underwriting and ended up losing money--so they responded with massive price increases.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
The situation with Plan N is that it is a new plan. Some insurers like Mutual of Omaha in order to gain market share started with low prices, did not do medical underwriting and ended up losing money--so they responded with massive price increases.
That's part of the story. Here's more:

Medicare Supplement ( Medigap ) Plan N Lessons « How to Buy Medicare Supplement (Medigap) Plans

Robyn

Old 08-24-2012, 03:24 PM

I wonder how many seniors don't have enough income to even pay the monthly Medicare charge. I had not thought about that before but I'd bet there a fair number in that situation.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Default Most seniors? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
When seniors are trying to live on $1000 a month any increase in medigap insurance is too much. Generally after a few years in retirement for most seniors their savings are gone. It is just sad to see people who have worked all their lives for a modest home only to lose it for medical reasons. Many seniors are often forced to make a decision between medications or food. Of course you don't have posts on forums like this one from them because the one cost that is first to go is usually the internet.
If you are in a position to pay your medigap insurance then you should count your blessings and pray for those that cannot.
Please tell us how you came to the conclusion that most seniors find that "their savings are gone after a few years in retirement".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance