Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times

Advertisements

Those of you with pre-existing conditions, care to share the numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 01:39 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Huh? ACA exchange insurance doesn't consider preexisting conditions. It's a nonissue. Everyone pays the same, based on age, household income, number in family. Health history is not a factor.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 PM

Are you sure about that? I've read where those with preexisting conditions have higher premiums. I'd like to get some feedback from the CD folks to see if that was the case for them.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Are you sure about that? I've read where those with preexisting conditions have higher premiums. I'd like to get some feedback from the CD folks to see if that was the case for them.
The biggest change with the ACA is eliminating the pre-existing condition clause. The ACA is legislation, not an insurance plan. There are no medical questions asked when you sign up for the policies...

Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The biggest change with the ACA is eliminating the pre-existing condition clause. The ACA is legislation, not an insurance plan. There are no medical questions asked when you sign up for the policies...
I understand that. One can no longer be denied coverage for a PC. I am trying to find out if the premiums will be higher and what the experience has been so far for others.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I understand that. One can no longer be denied coverage for a PC. I am trying to find out if the premiums will be higher and what the experience has been so far for others.
I think you are missing the point--they can't charge more for medical conditions. The only ratings on individual policies are based on age and zip code.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I think you are missing the point--they can't charge more for medical conditions. The only ratings on individual policies are based on age and zip code.
I got that as well, but I have read complaints since the marketplace opened that state otherwise.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I got that as well, but I have read complaints since the marketplace opened that state otherwise.
Well they are wrong or don't know what they are talking about...

Old 10-17-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Well they are wrong or don't know what they are talking about...
Very well then.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:51 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Who, exactly, is saying what - exactly? Provide a link.

Also, people can say anything. The REALITY for why they are experiencing a rate differential is something else, entirely.

It is AGAINST THE LAW for an insurance company to rate/charge premiums based on individual health history. No applicant is asked for a health history. So, how could an insurance company possibly rate on the basis of health? It can't.

That said - rates are not the same in all states. Different demographics, different costs for medical care, different claim experiences by region/area.

Under the ACA, an insurance company can certainly rate an entire state/region/service area on those factors, but it cannot rate any individual separate and apart from how it is rating the entire demographic area for which it is providing insurance.

ACA rates vary widely by region and provider network. Rates in some areas of Wisconsin are lower than they are in other areas of WI. It does appear the more heavily populated areas experience higher rates. Cost for medical care in the cities is higher than in rural areas - probably because there is more technology available in the cities, that care is more complex, more expensive, and there are more poor people who generally experience poorer health.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-17-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance