Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:53 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times

Advertisements

I saw this, but when I registered, it didn't tell me if I was eligible for a tax subsidy; it just took me to the plans with the base rates, and I completed the full application. Maybe I'm not eligible due to a technicality. That is sometimes the case. I guess I'll try to talk to a broker next week anyway. I've spoken to so many people about this, though, I'm beginning to doubt I'll find the answers I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 07:59 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I need to talk to a broker. I don't know where half of these rates you've quoted me came from. I didn't see anything besides the base rate, and no information was given to me about what type of plan to choose. No, $12 per month is great, but the website has told me nothing about that.
Your aren't scrolling down far enough on the page before you get quote. There is a section after "Add Another Person" that needs to be completed.

Here is another screen shot:

School me on health insurance-kmb-quote-page.jpg

When you complete your household income:
Quote:
What is your household's expected income for 2014?
Then click on button "Check if I can get lower costs."

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-22-2014 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I saw this, but when I registered, it didn't tell me if I was eligible for a tax subsidy; it just took me to the plans with the base rates, and I completed the full application. Maybe I'm not eligible due to a technicality. That is sometimes the case. I guess I'll try to talk to a broker next week anyway. I've spoken to so many people about this, though, I'm beginning to doubt I'll find the answers I want.
The only reason you might not be eligible is if your income is too low. I've been using $14,000. If the healthcare.gov database has a very low income for you, then subsidies don't apply - you're supposed to be applying for Medicaid instead.

But, Alabama is NOT expanding Medicaid. So, that may be your problem.

These conservative states have chosen not to expand Medicaid and, in the process, have disenfranchised their low-income citizens from eligibility for ACA subsidies.

You need to object to your state politicians for doing this to you, if that turns out to be your situation, and ask Alabama how it intends to meet your health insurance needs.

ACA was designed to help YOU.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Out of curiosity, what health insurance do you have?
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield

Old 02-22-2014, 09:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
And ACA compliant?

Old 02-22-2014, 09:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The only reason you might not be eligible is if your income is too low. I've been using $14,000. If the healthcare.gov database has a very low income for you, then subsidies don't apply - you're supposed to be applying for Medicaid instead.

These conservative states have chosen not to expand Medicaid and, in the process, have disenfranchised their low-income citizens from eligibility for ACA subsidies.

You need to object to your state politicians for doing this to you, if that turns out to be your situation, and ask Alabama how it intends to meet your health insurance needs.

I used to think that when enough people from these Red states were hurt enough, they might finally be able to see through all the ugly propaganda and lack of concern from their state legislators. But, alas, I think I was wrong and it is hopeless. It is too deeply ingrained. They would rather cut off their feet than have to buy shoes.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I used to think that when enough people from these Red states were hurt enough, they might finally be able to see through all the ugly propaganda and lack of concern from their state legislators. But, alas, I think I was wrong and it is hopeless. It is too deeply ingrained. They would rather cut off their feet than have to buy shoes.
Hmmm, maybe I should move then, if things aren't going to change. I'm sure bigger states probably have more healthcare programs. I think I'm going to at least look for a broker, though and see if I can indeed apply for a tax subsidy here first. The healthcare.gov site is down right now, though. I guess I can try again in the morning.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:56 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

I agree this is one of those cases where the income is too low to qualify for the ACA. One thing could be done would be to plug in higher figures anticipating higher income. I think the income limit is $16,800. The ACA was designed for people working full time working or averaging someone working minimum wage full time. Quite a few people fall in this gap of approximately $11,000 to $16,800.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe I should move then, if things aren't going to change. I'm sure bigger states probably have more healthcare programs.
Ya' know, you should email your Governor Bentley - he's a doctor. Saw him on C-Span today - pegged him for a doc even before I read the bio - he looks like a doc. Gov. Bentley appears to be an intelligent, reasonable individual. As a physician, certainly he should be concerned about health coverage for his citizens. Per this bio, he hasn't taken a salary since elected Gov. in 2010 because Alabama hasn't reached full employment.

Robert J. Bentley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2014, 01:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I agree this is one of those cases where the income is too low to qualify for the ACA. One thing could be done would be to plug in higher figures anticipating higher income. I think the income limit is $16,800. The ACA was designed for people working full time working or averaging someone working minimum wage full time. Quite a few people fall in this gap of approximately $11,000 to $16,800.
Except she has had 3 people come up with quotes and plans for her that do give her reduced premiums and work with the data she provided...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance