Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:18 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times

Advertisements

They were the insurance company of my mom and dad's pensions. For my dad's medical expenses in the Philippines, they hardly reimbursed expenses, maybe as low as a 5% reimbursement. So we took their $495 monthly charge off my dad's pension, and we pay medical bills outright in the Philippines. But Philippines has cheap medical costs, as the people there are poor. My cousin had surgury and it only cost 100,000 pesos. I had two cracked teeth and a dentist filled them up for 700 pesos total [ $15.73 !].

Next, my mom died of pancreatic cancer. But most of her medical bills were paid by Medicare. Blue Cross Ble Shield wouldn't pay anything for her $2800 CAT Scan. MD Anderson doesn't get reimbursed by Blue Cross Blue Shield.

So if you got Blue Cross Blue SHeild, tell us how it has treated you! I think it's crap insurance just sucking premiums for profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 08:43 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Next, my mom died of pancreatic cancer. But most of her medical bills were paid by Medicare. Blue Cross Ble Shield wouldn't pay anything for her $2800 CAT Scan. MD Anderson doesn't get reimbursed by Blue Cross Blue Shield.
No one here has a problem with a BCBS Medigap paying its 20% share of Medicare-approved charges.

Following response assumes your mother did not have a BCBS Medicare Advantage plan but, instead, had a BCBS supplement (Medigap) to Medicare.

If Medicare pays its 80% for the CAT scan, BCBS Medigap is required to pay the remaining 20%.

Because nothing was paid for the CAT scan, that means the CAT scan was NOT a Medicare-approved charge. Therefore, BCBS had no responsibility for that CAT scan, either.

Some Medigap supplements will pay preventive charges not covered by Medicare - but those charges must be coded preventive. If they are diagnostic, those plans won't pay either.

Advantage plans are a whole 'nother kettle of fish, and these plans can and do stall or refuse payment for certain services.

Suggest you Google "Medicare CAT Scans" - there is a reason this charge wasn't covered by Medicare. BCBS isn't your problem. Lack of Medicare approval for the CAT scan probably is.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-20-2014 at 10:12 PM..

Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,306 times
I love my BCBS Insurance in MN., although I realize their service isnt as good everywhere by the complaints I see on the internet. I wish I could still afford it when I go on Medicare in June, but I am going to a cheaper Medicare Advantage Plan instead. If I have major problems with them, I will go back to BCBS as soon as I can.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
BCBS offers a Medicare Advantage plan....

Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
BCBS offers a Medicare Advantage plan....
Not in my state. They offer a supplement and a drug plan. Thats it.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
- there is a reason this charge wasn't covered by Medicare. BCBS isn't your problem. Lack of Medicare approval for the CAT scan probably is.
Or, there's the possibility that this particular hospital doesn't process Medicare claims and the patient had to do the submitting herself.
This could be a rant that's based on inadequate information.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Or, there's the possibility that this particular hospital doesn't process Medicare claims and the patient had to do the submitting herself.
This could be a rant that's based on inadequate information.
Anderson will process claims for Original Medicare and many other plans:

Insurance & Billing - Insurance Plans | MD Anderson Cancer Center

MD Anderson also accepts regular BCBS, but NOT the BCBS MA plan:
Quote:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of TexasHMO, PPO, POS, IndemnityBlue Choice PPO, Blue Choice PPO Marketplace Plans (Blue Choice Gold PPO, Blue Choice Silver PPO, Blue Choice Bronze PPO); Multi-State Marketplace Plans (BCBS Premier 1, BCBS Premier 2, BCBS Solution 3, BCBS Solution 4, BCBS Basic 5); Blue Choice Plus POS; HMO Blue Texas; Best Choice PPO; EPO; Blue Edge; Traditional Indemnity

Note: MD Anderson is not contracted with the Blue Advantage HMO Marketplace plan.
So, if OP's mother had a BCBS MA, none of her charges would have been paid.

But, since he says Medicare paid for everything, it must have been a BCBS Medigap.

Fwiw, Anderson also accepts Medicaid, CHIP, etc.

Office of Health Policy - Uncompensated Care | MD Anderson Cancer Center

Ergo, charge was not approved by Medicare - probably because it exceeded the number of times Medicare pays for a CAT scan with a certain time frame - a common Medicare limitation - and/or, given mother's terminal condition, scan was not considered medically necessary.

Until OP clarifies further, for now we are speculating.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-22-2014 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 02:48 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
BCBS has been my supplement for Medicare and has done everything they are supposed to do. They have been great.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
BCBS has been my supplement for Medicare and has done everything they are supposed to do. They have been great.
Yes. As a Medigap, there should be no problem with BCBS. No one ever complains about a Medigap, no matter the insurer, because the Medigaps are required to pay the 20% Medicare doesn't. Medigaps do not have any nonpayment rights when it comes to Medicare-approved charges - unless these charges are specifically an exclusion in that policy.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:04 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times
I don't know what specific BCBS plan was under the Chicago Teacher's Pension Plan. But the original $2800 Cat Scan at Presence Health was necessary for the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance