Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 10:02 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times

Advertisements

mom has bc/bs & thinks that she needs supplemental insurance over & above what she has with her plan. She's telling me that she has medicare. What more does an 84 year old senior need in addition to the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
My mom has BC/BS as well as Medicare. She also has the AARP prescription drug plan that runs around $40 a month. These plans have coverered just about 100 percent of her recent hospitalization/skilled nursing home. I don't feel at 94 she needs any thing other than what she has right now.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
mom has bc/bs & thinks that she needs supplemental insurance over & above what she has with her plan. She's telling me that she has medicare. What more does an 84 year old senior need in addition to the above?
She likely doesn't need anything more. However, to be sure, contact Florida's Serving Health Insurance Needs for Elders (SHINE) program. It's a free service of health insurance counselors for seniors regarding Medicare and other, related issues. They'll be able to determine how well covered she is. At one time I was the technical analyst for California's program. SHINE can be accessed at: SHINE - Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders

Old 11-22-2009, 11:33 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
She likely doesn't need anything more. However, to be sure, contact Florida's Serving Health Insurance Needs for Elders (SHINE) program. It's a free service of health insurance counselors for seniors regarding Medicare and other, related issues. They'll be able to determine how well covered she is. At one time I was the technical analyst for California's program. SHINE can be accessed at: SHINE - Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders
Thank you so much for the information, will do!

Old 11-22-2009, 12:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
If your mother has bcbs and medicare its doubtful that she need more insurance.But most6 BCBS policies actaully cover prescrition drungs unless its a supplement without prescription drugs. I say you need to review the policy carefully.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
She probably doesn't need more but it depends upon her needs. Review her BCBS policy carefully and make sure it applies to her situation.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:07 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
Did she keep the booklet she got called Medicare and You: 2010
You need to find that. It explains what the different types of coverage are.
A supplemental policy only applies if you use original Medicare. You can't have an Advantage Program (BC/BS PPP) and a Medigap Policy. Medicare doesn't allow it.
She also needs to use an Advantage Program that includes prescription drugs. Medicare requires it except under certain circumstances. She probably has drug coverage under BC/BS and doesn't need the AARP program. Sounds like she's getting bombarded by their sales programs. Based on personal experience, I've found the AARP-backed programs are expensive and offer little coverage.
She can change plans between Nov. 15 and Dec. 30. Check the Medicare website. They have very good information about plans in her area and what drugs they will cover and what it costs.
It takes some serious research to find the best plan for her needs, but you'll save her money in the long run.
Medicare.gov - The Official U.S. Government Site for People with Medicare

Old 11-22-2009, 09:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Check the plan as if she has blue croos and blue shield plan she is better off with pay for service medicare and the plans prescription plan. The advanatge plans will soon change has congress is going to lower the payments to those to the same as pay for service which may mean many will go up in patient cost or disappear altogether.I have blue cross and blue shield. When i get 65 it will shift to a supplement with blue cross and blue shield. It wil still have the same porescription option but will pay 80% of what medcaicre does not pay. I will not go on part D because it better and will stay on pay for service medicare because if i joined a advanatge plan it would not pay anything for prescription drugs.With the plans prescrition drugs there is no gap like part D and pay for sercice give much more choice than a advanatge plan in both doctors and hopspitals.This maybe the case with her.

Last edited by texdav; 11-22-2009 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance