Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:45 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,487,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Sorry texdav, I am afraid you are mistaken about MD Anderson. Yes, they are non profit, and like you, I am a contributor and was a patient for over a month in their hospital. They do require insurance, and do not accept all insurance.

Insurance Plans & Billing Information | MD Anderson Cancer Center

And though Saint Judes does accept children without insurance, they must meet certain criteria and parents must be willing to allow their children to participate in new clinical trials if they are open.
Seeking Treatment at St. Jude

As far as free charity clinics. Yes they do exist in most large cities, where a doctor will donate a certain amount of hours each week to the clinic. Unfortunately, these clinics are not very numerous and may not be accessible to everyone who needs one, especially those living in rural areas.

As for drug pricing here in the US, the pharmaceutical companies spend between 15-17% on R&D. But considering that their profits are the highest of all industries (18.5%) and the fact that their highest cost expenditure by far is advertising (35%), which is prohibited in most other countries, I think there can be made a good case for price negotiations. Also the % manufactured here is closer to 60% and Europe is constantly gaining ground. Your statement is the statement put out by the drug manufacturer's PR people to try and keep American's in line and accept being gouged for drugs.
Interviews - Marcia Angell | The Other Drug War | FRONTLINE | PBS

Concerning non profit insurance companies. They are equally as guilty of waste as for profit insurance companies, and their costs are only slightly less. This is really a topic by itself, which I have learned a great deal, but in hopes of keeping this response a reasonable length, I will forgo further comment.

More Proof That The American For-Profit Health Insurance Model Is Doomed - Forbes
Ah yes my Finnish-American doctor told me that this one drug I used costs about 100$ in his home country, here it was 12€.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 01:10 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
So it's not so harsh as many people here believe. Good to hear
You need to reread Modhatter's post and the links on types of insurance a prestigious place like MD Anderson will accept. taxdav paints a much rosier (r-wing fantasy) picture than actually exists for many, many poor. Indigents do not usually have access to the best care in many states - far from it.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:22 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Many of the Obamacare exchange plans have extremely narrow networks that pay significantly less to providers. Many better regarded institutions do not accept them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance