Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much do you pay individually for your employer sponsored health plan?
0-$20 4 17.39%
$20-$30 0 0%
$30-$40 0 0%
$40-$50 0 0%
$50-60 0 0%
$60-80 1 4.35%
$80-$100 2 8.70%
$125-$150 4 17.39%
$150-$175 1 4.35%
$175-$200+ 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 02:58 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,513,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We're self employed. We get screwed and tattooed by the ACA in every conceivable way. Our premiums - for very uninspiring and basic coverage - are $1137 a month. Yep. Every month.
Who is "we" - 2 people or a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 10:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Who is "we" - 2 people or a family?
My husband and I. Two people.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:01 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,473,545 times
Keep in mind that the more employees the company has the lower the cost is going to be per employee. Also the health of the employees and their covered dependents will impact the premium cost as will the plan design. The sooner the insurer has to start paying claims, i.e. for an office visit, the more expensive the insurance will be.

The smart employers have a health reimbursement arrangement HRA or a self-insured plan where they reimburse the employee for their co-pays and deductibles after they pay a certain amount so the benefit to the employee is the same as if the insurance company was paying for part of those initial medical costs. However once an employee's claims exceed a certain threshold, the insurance would then kick in.

By not having to have the insurance company process every little office visit, the insurance premium costs are drastically reduced. Both the employer and the employees pay less for their medical insurance coverage, yet the employees don't lose any of the benefit as the employer is reimbursing them for the equivalent of what the insurance would be paying for a fully insured plan. It is a win-win situation. Too bad few if any insurance agents in the Pre-Obama care days bothered to tell employers about it. If they had, there wouldn't have been a stupid "healthcare crisis".

Old 12-02-2015, 06:18 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,123,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Keep in mind that the more employees the company has the lower the cost is going to be per employee. Also the health of the employees and their covered dependents will impact the premium cost as will the plan design. The sooner the insurer has to start paying claims, i.e. for an office visit, the more expensive the insurance will be.

The smart employers have a health reimbursement arrangement HRA or a self-insured plan where they reimburse the employee for their co-pays and deductibles after they pay a certain amount so the benefit to the employee is the same as if the insurance company was paying for part of those initial medical costs. However once an employee's claims exceed a certain threshold, the insurance would then kick in.

By not having to have the insurance company process every little office visit, the insurance premium costs are drastically reduced. Both the employer and the employees pay less for their medical insurance coverage, yet the employees don't lose any of the benefit as the employer is reimbursing them for the equivalent of what the insurance would be paying for a fully insured plan. It is a win-win situation. Too bad few if any insurance agents in the Pre-Obama care days bothered to tell employers about it. If they had, there wouldn't have been a stupid "healthcare crisis".
Not always. Smaller companies, 150 or fewer employees or so, that are not self-insured usually get lumped into a small employer risk pool expanding their risk pool significantly. The lowest priced plans I see, almost all of the time, are groups between 10-100 employees. HSA plans are almost always the least expensive plans to offer but HRA's are starting to come back in favor again though.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:28 PM

409 posts, read 485,479 times
We pay $860 per month this year and will be paying $908 next year. It's an employee health benefit that carried over when I retired, but then they decided that any premium increases would be born by the retiree. Our coverage is for me and my husband. Our deductible is $500 and there are co-pays and co-insurance. Our total medical expense including premiums has been $13,000 to $14,000 per year.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:53 AM

350 posts, read 416,939 times
lily4

How do you manage with such high premiums?

Old 12-13-2015, 07:58 PM

409 posts, read 485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
lily4

How do you manage with such high premiums?
We live simply. We're retired and moved to a lower COL area and don't have a mortgage. We have one vehicle and don't put a lot of miles on it. So, we're managing fine, but I look forward to when we're old enough for Medicare, which will be less than two years for me.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:28 PM

932 posts, read 901,482 times
We got the top tier . We pay $200 biweekly for family. We pay nothing at all out of pocket it is that good, plus we get $3000 towards our HSA OR HRA per year. it rolls over we got almost 8k in it. No bills no nothing even after surgery and hospital stay

Old 12-15-2015, 03:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
Well, we were pretty much forced to switch from a PPO to an HMO (we could have gone with a PPO for $400 to $500 MORE per month). We are stuck with $1137 a month in premiums for medical and VERY mediocre dental care. We had to switch our doctor, our hospital, even our dentist.

So much for "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." And I LOVED our hospital system but now even that is out of network, even though it is a huge local system and an award winning one at that, and has the best heart and internal medicine system for hundreds of miles.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:14 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,123,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, we were pretty much forced to switch from a PPO to an HMO (we could have gone with a PPO for $400 to $500 MORE per month). We are stuck with $1137 a month in premiums for medical and VERY mediocre dental care. We had to switch our doctor, our hospital, even our dentist.

So much for "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." And I LOVED our hospital system but now even that is out of network, even though it is a huge local system and an award winning one at that, and has the best heart and internal medicine system for hundreds of miles.
You were not forced, you choose to pay less for a smaller network....

We pay more for our insurance to have a PPO...it's a choice you have to make...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance