Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 11:27 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
Qwerty:

I guess you would then eliminate D.O's?
What is a DO?

Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine, or DOs, are fully licensed physicians who practice in all areas of medicine. Emphasizing a whole-person approach to treatment and care, DOs are trained to listen and partner with their patients to help them get healthy and stay well.
DOs receive special training in the musculoskeletal system, your body's interconnected system of nerves, muscles and bones. By combining this knowledge with the latest advances in medical technology, they offer patients the most comprehensive care available in medicine today.
Osteopathic physicians focus on prevention, tuning into how a patient's lifestyle and environment can impact their wellbeing. DOs strive to help you be truly healthy in mind, body and spirit -- not just free of symptoms.

Looks as if DO's look at the whole body and not just a "steel cure".
A DO is not an "naturopath"...HUGE difference....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 11:50 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:

Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine, or DOs, are fully licensed physicians who practice in all areas of medicine. Emphasizing a whole-person approach to treatment and care, DOs are trained to listen and partner with their patients to help them get healthy and stay well.
DOs receive special training in the musculoskeletal system, your body's interconnected system of nerves, muscles and bones. By combining this knowledge with the latest advances in medical technology, they offer patients the most comprehensive care available in medicine today.
Osteopathic physicians focus on prevention, tuning into how a patient's lifestyle and environment can impact their wellbeing. DOs strive to help you be truly healthy in mind, body and spirit -- not just free of symptoms.

Looks as if DO's look at the whole body and not just a "steel cure".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
A DO is not an "naturopath"...HUGE difference...

Agree with Qwerty. As you point out above, echo, a DO is in practice as a physician, and they follow the same evidence based medicine treatments as allopathic physicians do, albeit many do it with a more holistic, "look at the whole person" view as you describe in your post. A more holistic view of the patient or not (which is arguable and practitioner specific), they must follow the standard of care when treating patients, including all indicated medical and surgical interventions. If they don't, they are potentially negligent.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 01-22-2016 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 12:04 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Add me into the group of over 65s who want an alternative to allopathic medicine. I think I'd be better off if I had never been to a doctor in my life! The pills they hand out often have nasty side effects that could have been avoided with some other form of treatment.

If only Medicare could cover acupuncture it would be a start. One example-- a time when my regular doctor could do NOTHING for an extremely painful and debilitating sinus type of infection, I went straight to an acupuncturist and had a huge amount of relief after one hour! Went home with a bag of herbs that continued the healing process. (I was so sick my husband practically had to carry me into the building!)

Anyone who doesn't think people on Medicare want alternatives should check out the Retirement forum. There are a lot of people there who do yoga, go to acupunture, take supplements instead of what the regular doctors hand out, and search for alternative/integrative help. There are also people on the Retirement forum who have done what their doctor told them and are in pretty bad shape.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:46 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
I want access to the best of allopathic medicine in the event of a car accident, surgery for any reason, life-threatening events - so I've always carried "health insurance."

As far as getting the body in balance and preventing and curing bodily dis-ease. I've relied on alternative/homeopathic (on my own dime) - and common sense lifestyle measures - diet, weight, etc. for decades. My biggest medical expense each year, aside from $1,200 Medicare Part B premiums, is chiropractic care - about $500 annually - again my own dime because it is "maintenance" and not covered by Medicare. Now almost 74 and doing just fine.

A horrific experience w/drug-induced hepatitis when I was 37, which laid me up for year and only 'cured' when I visited a nutritionist (raw food among one of his therapies) and then got well enough to travel to to FL and spent two months at a naturopathic clinic - fasting (two weeks) and then rebuilding w/organic food cured me of drugs - for good. It was a year before I could return to work and rejoin society. No major health issues since that time. Probably have to shoot me before I would take a prescribed medication ever again.

I do take supplements in common sense moderation, don't smoke or drink, biggest item in my retirement budget (aside from mortgage) is food. I spend a lot on high-quality, mostly organic food and rarely eat out, cook from scratch. It works for me - but I am fortunate that I have no genetic or serious bizarre systemic issues.

I think the two modalities can and should work together.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:02 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I want access to the best of allopathic medicine in the event of a car accident, surgery for any reason, life-threatening events - so I've always carried "health insurance."

As far as getting the body in balance and preventing and curing bodily dis-ease. I've relied on alternative/homeopathic (on my own dime) - and common sense lifestyle measures - diet, weight, etc. for decades. My biggest medical expense each year, aside from $1,200 Medicare Part B premiums, is chiropractic care - about $500 annually - again my own dime because it is "maintenance" and not covered by Medicare. Now almost 74 and doing just fine.

A horrific experience w/drug-induced hepatitis when I was 37, which laid me up for year and only 'cured' when I visited a nutritionist (raw food among one of his therapies) and then got well enough to travel to to FL and spent two months at a naturopathic clinic - fasting (two weeks) and then rebuilding w/organic food cured me of drugs - for good. It was a year before I could return to work and rejoin society. No major health issues since that time. Probably have to shoot me before I would take a prescribed medication ever again.

I do take supplements in common sense moderation, don't smoke or drink, biggest item in my retirement budget (aside from mortgage) is food. I spend a lot on high-quality, mostly organic food and rarely eat out, cook from scratch. It works for me - but I am fortunate that I have no genetic or serious bizarre systemic issues.

I think the two modalities can and should work together.
Yes! I'm with you..I think alternative medicine complements allopathic medicine...and a combination of the two would be ideal. Wish Medicare would listen to the wishes of their customers and add these modalities to covered areas.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Add me into the group of over 65s who want an alternative to allopathic medicine. I think I'd be better off if I had never been to a doctor in my life! The pills they hand out often have nasty side effects that could have been avoided with some other form of treatment.

If only Medicare could cover acupuncture it would be a start. One example-- a time when my regular doctor could do NOTHING for an extremely painful and debilitating sinus type of infection, I went straight to an acupuncturist and had a huge amount of relief after one hour! Went home with a bag of herbs that continued the healing process. (I was so sick my husband practically had to carry me into the building!)

Anyone who doesn't think people on Medicare want alternatives should check out the Retirement forum. There are a lot of people there who do yoga, go to acupunture, take supplements instead of what the regular doctors hand out, and search for alternative/integrative help. There are also people on the Retirement forum who have done what their doctor told them and are in pretty bad shape.
Exactly! Seems the AMA has the health industry closed to anything but allopathic medicine. And we're only permitted to choose that type of medicine with Medicare. Or else pay out of pocket for what we really want. Sometimes hard to do on a limited budget, isn't it?

Old 01-22-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I am not sure that I would take cipro even if not pregnant. The floxin group (ciprofloxin, levofloxin) (aka fluoroquinolones) is really a harsh and nasty group of antibiotics. It can really affect your muscles, and some side effects are permanent for some people. Just my opinion!
Yep, lots and lots of reported very serious--and some lasting-- side effects...yet Cipro and its family of drugs are still being offered. Sad, isn't it? What happened to "first do no harm"?

Old 01-22-2016, 01:28 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Oh, yes, Acupuncture. Very, very few health plans, in addition to Medicare, cover it. Many years ago my then 70 year Uncle had multiple surgeries, pain medication for his back problems. He walked stooped over until he had Acupuncture, which he paid for (not cheap) entirely on his own as a last resort. After that no more pain, and he walked like a 20 year old straight up! My 30 something daughter is in the same situation. Her employer insurance will not cover it.

Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years. So why isn't it covered? Certainly, a lot less expensive than surgery, hospitalizations, and pain meds.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:09 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yep, lots and lots of reported very serious--and some lasting-- side effects...yet Cipro and its family of drugs are still being offered. Sad, isn't it? What happened to "first do no harm"?
If it can kill ANTHRAX, why is it being used for E Coli, Salmonella (me), or just Norovirus (Stomach Flu my pregnant daughter)?

Plus, 1,000 points!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If it can kill ANTHRAX, why is it being used for E Coli, Salmonella (me), or just Norovirus (Stomach Flu my pregnant daughter)?

Plus, 1,000 points!
Yep, just so. I have to fight with doctors not to be prescribed Cipro for mild diverticulitis episodes...there are other much more gentle treatments, but they always want to go with Cipro...even when I tell them how very ill it made me the two times it was prescribed.

I will never take it again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance