Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 08:53 AM

782 posts, read 1,355,474 times

Advertisements

I get piffed when I see the high cost of health insurance especially when I know lots of chronic health problems are due to personal choices like over-eating, cigarette smoking, alcohol and drug abuse, failure to exercise, etc.

In my 5 plus decades on earth, I had to make lifestyle choices (sometimes not so easy) that required some discipline and self-denial but that I knew would be best for my health.

I have had to put a lot of effort to maintain a healthy weight and I chose not to smoke, drink or do drugs.

It is especially aggrevating to realize that my decades of working will pay for public servants like police officers and firefighters that are grossly overweight and smoke or drink excessively.
As a result of their choices many will develop diabetes, copd, heart disease and possibly eventually become 'disabled' so that I will have to pay even more to support them.

Same goes for people who decide to abuse their bodies with drugs or contract devastating sexually transmitted diseases. My taxes have and will continue to pay for their poor choices.

I look forward to someday being able to retire hopefully after 50+ years of working hard every day but fear that high taxes and high cost of health insurance will eat away my benefits I receive.

Something about this just doesn't feel right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 09:34 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Maybe there should be certain requirements beyond income for people who get their care for "free". ie. funded by the taxpayers. Maybe it's too big of a can of worms to open but it's worthy of discussion.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:44 AM

108 posts, read 100,098 times
Don't even get me started on this topic! I have no patience for people who continue to have health issues because of their own choices!! Get off your butt, learn to portion control [I still eat whatever I want just in moderation, I am thin], no one expects you to have a six pack but less pounds and the joint/ back pain, diabetes, high blood pressure etc.. will start to improve. Do it, its free and it will save US [the general public] who help assist you in your bad behaviors by doing nothing instead of telling this to your face. I'm sorry it "hurt" your feelings but I'm tired of paying for your life choices. Now get off the motorized cart, my 75 year old grandmother needs it and learn to walk.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Having a baby is expensive. And it's a choice.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:11 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Having a baby is expensive. And it's a choice.

That seems like a different thing then what the op was talking about as pregnancy is not a health issue. That said, pre aca people who purchased plans on their own did have the option to pay an additional amount to cover maternity care. If they didn't want it they cold get a cheaper plan.

On that same note though it is true that maternity care is expensive in this country. We really should look to how other countries handle maternity care and that is via the use of midwives vs OB's for normal pregnancies and birthing centers or homes vs hospitals. So much money could be saved.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:15 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
So OP how do you explain all of the people who eat healthy, maintain proper weight, don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs but still have heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, auto immune disease, etc. etc?
It appears their *choice* to be *healthy* made them sick anyway and they should pay for their own health care as well.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:17 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That seems like a different thing then what the op was talking about as pregnancy is not a health issue.
I disagree that pregnancy is not a health issue, but it's a minor point as you noted there are costs involved.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:40 PM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
IMO, a major factor in the last two elections and this years one is health care (how it is distributed and how it gets paid for).
OP, I understand both points of view on the issue, yours and the other side that says health care is a 'human right'.

As the late Justice Scalia might say "convince your fellow Americans to vote on it". Whatever happens this election one side will be disappointed but that's democracy.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:52 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I get piffed when I see the high cost of health insurance especially when I know lots of chronic health problems are due to personal choices like over-eating, cigarette smoking, alcohol and drug abuse, failure to exercise, etc.

In my 5 plus decades on earth, I had to make lifestyle choices (sometimes not so easy) that required some discipline and self-denial but that I knew would be best for my health.

I have had to put a lot of effort to maintain a healthy weight and I chose not to smoke, drink or do drugs.

It is especially aggrevating to realize that my decades of working will pay for public servants like police officers and firefighters that are grossly overweight and smoke or drink excessively.
As a result of their choices many will develop diabetes, copd, heart disease and possibly eventually become 'disabled' so that I will have to pay even more to support them.

Same goes for people who decide to abuse their bodies with drugs or contract devastating sexually transmitted diseases. My taxes have and will continue to pay for their poor choices.

I look forward to someday being able to retire hopefully after 50+ years of working hard every day but fear that high taxes and high cost of health insurance will eat away my benefits I receive.

Something about this just doesn't feel right!
It's hard being perfect in an imperfect world, but someone's got to do it I suppose.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:54 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,199 times
Here's how Australia does it

A: Oh, you're sick

B: Yes but I Did It To Myself

A: Would you have Done it to Yourself if you weren't Sick Already?

B: Probably Not.

Very little is someone's "fault", as such. No one chooses disability and illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance