Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 10:36 AM

351 posts, read 666,650 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost me to go to the ER at a local hospital when I only have Medicare A & B? I'm a Vet so going to the ER at the VA doesn't cost me anything but I'm moving somewhere, I don't know where but I don't like the big city so I would like to move to a place that has an out outpatient VA clinic but if I have to go to the ER just how much would it cost me? I'm 69 years old so I don't want to go broke is I get sick? But going to the doctors won't cost me anything at a VA clinic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 01:55 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
Can anyone tell me how much it would cost me to go to the ER at a local hospital when I only have Medicare A & B? I'm a Vet so going to the ER at the VA doesn't cost me anything but I'm moving somewhere, I don't know where but I don't like the big city so I would like to move to a place that has an out outpatient VA clinic but if I have to go to the ER just how much would it cost me? I'm 69 years old so I don't want to go broke is I get sick? But going to the doctors won't cost me anything at a VA clinic.
ER is considered outpatient. Medicare Part B pays 80% of outpatient services. You would be subject to the Part B $166 deductible and 20% copay.

https://www.medicare.gov/what-medica...utpatient.html

In other words, if the ER visit results in an overnight outpatient stay, Medicare allowed charge might be let's say worst case $5k, you pay $166 Part B deductible. Medicare then pays 80% of remaining $4,834, you pay 20% of $4,834, or $967, plus your Part B $166, or a total of $1,132. I'm guessing at the Medicare-allowed charge - which generally is very low.

If you are admitted to the hospital, you pay Part A deductible of $1,288, after that Medicare pays 100% for the first 60 days.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...at-glance.html

We talked a while back with you on purchasing Medicare supplemental insurance. You might want to consider at least a high-deductible F plan - which limits the above costs to $2,180 per year. In other words, you would pay the deductible and copay cited above up to $2,180. After that the plan pays 100%. At your age in the south or southwest part of the US, you could buy this insurance for about $50/mo., possibly less.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:09 PM

351 posts, read 666,650 times
Thank you, I am going to save your post.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:01 AM

469 posts, read 761,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If you are admitted to the hospital, you pay Part A deductible of $1,288, after that Medicare pays 100% for the first 60 days.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...at-glance.html
As a reminder, an inpatient admission will generate hospital facility fees processed under Part A and separate professional bills (surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc.) processed under Part B. This creates both Part A and Part B cost sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance